Dec 3, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Jewell Loyd is a freshman guard from Lincolnwood, Ill and currently lives in Ryan Hall on campus. She was a strong Notre Dame recruit and has already seen a lot of playing time with the team in her first year. She is a player who is not afraid to make her presence known on the court. I was recently able to catch up with Jewell and find out a little more about her.
Q. What is your major and why does it interest you?
I’m in the College of Arts and Letters right now, but I am not really sure what I want to major in yet.
Q. What is your favorite Muffet McGraw saying?
“Rebound,” because I hear that a lot.
What attracted you to Notre Dame?
It’s close to home for me, I got along with a lot of the girls, and the academics mean a lot to me.
Q. What one word would your teammates use to describe you and why?
They say I’m pretty chill because I like to be laid back and avoid any drama.
Q. What do you plan/hope to do after your basketball career?
I would like to work with something in Intelligence, maybe the FBI in particular.
Q. What song always pumps you up before a game?
I listen to a lot of Wale, so anything by him gets me ready for a game.
Q. What is your favorite thing about playing basketball at Notre Dame?
Since I am a freshman, I am still learning, but I’ve already realized that it’s more about playing basketball…it’s about being part of a family here.
Q. If you were playing any other sport, what would it be?
Q. What is your favorite memory with a teammate?
It would have to be when we just all have team bonding together, whether it was over the summer or even now. This has been the best time, especially just goofing around with everyone and having fun.
Q. What is the hardest thing about being a student athlete?
It’s hard to try and prioritize your stuff, just continually making sure that you are on top of everything.
Q. Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?
I have to have apple juice before every game.
Q. What is your favorite place on campus?
Besides the JACC, probably my hall, Ryan.
Q. If you could have dinner with any 3 people, dead or alive, who would they be?
Kobe Bryant, Bill Gates, and Phil Jackson.
Q. What is one thing you hope to do before you leave Notre Dame?
Win a National Championship.
Q. What do you miss most about your home?
I really miss being around my family.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 🏀 6 guaranteed games. ❄️ Air conditioned courts. 👀 Less than 10 spots remain for Team Camp! ✍🏽️ Sign up today 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 📢We're screaming from the rooftop of Purcell! Happy Administrative Professionals Day to the incredible Sharla Lewi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- "I love opportunities like this, to interact with kids & be out in the community." 👏🏽Great job, @NatAchon ('14)! ☘️ https://t.co/Z70gSDwybB 1 day ago
- Happy Birthday to our senior manager, Becca Moore! ✌🏼👩🏽✌🏼 #ShesFeeling22 🎉🎁 https://t.co/oXpWDuzyar 1 day ago
- RT @nyliberty: .@LA_Cruisen gives an update on Day 2️⃣ of camp @ndwbb 👇 https://t.co/pT9k4LYtzd 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ND Day is live! Our @BonzieColson will be live in the 9 pm ET hour tonight. twitter.com/ndmbb/status/8… 3 days ago
- Our goal = send local kids to our summer camps You can help Vote for us during @ProudtobeND 💵 ▶️ camp costs 🗳️ ▶️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 days ago
- RT @NDBusiness: When you see a fellow Domer on #NationalHighFiveDay... ☘️ @NDmbb https://t.co/ShUwC44df6 6 days ago
- A look back at one of our top moments from 2016-17 - a steal and drive seals The Legends Classic Championship over… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago
- Only returning @accmbb player w/1,200+ pts, 600+ rebs. @BonzieColson's return puts Irish in contention in 2017-18… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago