Dec 3, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Jewell Loyd is a freshman guard from Lincolnwood, Ill and currently lives in Ryan Hall on campus. She was a strong Notre Dame recruit and has already seen a lot of playing time with the team in her first year. She is a player who is not afraid to make her presence known on the court. I was recently able to catch up with Jewell and find out a little more about her.
Q. What is your major and why does it interest you?
I’m in the College of Arts and Letters right now, but I am not really sure what I want to major in yet.
Q. What is your favorite Muffet McGraw saying?
“Rebound,” because I hear that a lot.
What attracted you to Notre Dame?
It’s close to home for me, I got along with a lot of the girls, and the academics mean a lot to me.
Q. What one word would your teammates use to describe you and why?
They say I’m pretty chill because I like to be laid back and avoid any drama.
Q. What do you plan/hope to do after your basketball career?
I would like to work with something in Intelligence, maybe the FBI in particular.
Q. What song always pumps you up before a game?
I listen to a lot of Wale, so anything by him gets me ready for a game.
Q. What is your favorite thing about playing basketball at Notre Dame?
Since I am a freshman, I am still learning, but I’ve already realized that it’s more about playing basketball…it’s about being part of a family here.
Q. If you were playing any other sport, what would it be?
Q. What is your favorite memory with a teammate?
It would have to be when we just all have team bonding together, whether it was over the summer or even now. This has been the best time, especially just goofing around with everyone and having fun.
Q. What is the hardest thing about being a student athlete?
It’s hard to try and prioritize your stuff, just continually making sure that you are on top of everything.
Q. Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?
I have to have apple juice before every game.
Q. What is your favorite place on campus?
Besides the JACC, probably my hall, Ryan.
Q. If you could have dinner with any 3 people, dead or alive, who would they be?
Kobe Bryant, Bill Gates, and Phil Jackson.
Q. What is one thing you hope to do before you leave Notre Dame?
Win a National Championship.
Q. What do you miss most about your home?
I really miss being around my family.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Happy Birthday, @IrishCoachIvey!!! Celebrate in style! ☘🏀💅🏾🎉🎂 https://t.co/i0esDXOHlX 11 hours ago
- RT @LA_Cruisen: Happy birthday to the greatest guard coach @IrishCoachIvey! So honored to have learned from you these past few years! Last… 12 hours ago
- We can't let this day pass without wishing our incredible Director of Ops, Katie Capps, a Happy Birthday!! 🎉🎁🎂 https://t.co/dEBqjv7AXT 1 day ago
- Thanks to Chairman of our Board of Trustees, Jack Brennan, for stopping by practice to check on the squad!! 1 week… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- Irish Fans! Be sure to check out @IrishCoachIvey performing with @toddrundgren in the North Dome for the Duke Pep Rally at 5:45pm!! 🎤🍀🏀💅🏾 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDmbb: He calls himself 'the loosest Coach in America.' 🕶🕶🕶🕶🕶 Let's add 'Coolest Coach in America' for @NDMikeBrey https://t.co/1mVSeFv… 1 day ago
- He calls himself 'the loosest Coach in America.' 🕶🕶🕶🕶🕶 Let's add 'Coolest Coach in America' for @NDMikeBrey https://t.co/1mVSeFvrxJ 1 day ago
- 🇱🇹💪🇱🇹 Our Lithuanian Big Man @Martin_Geben is ready to showcase his development. The Irish return in 4️⃣9️⃣ days... https://t.co/wbJTZSEEYb 2 days ago
- RT @TheRealDJHarvey: Go Irish💯😈🍀! All glory to God🙏🏾 https://t.co/NJFRupxlqs 2 days ago
- Just about an hour until Coach Brey and JG will be here. In Chicago? Stop by and say #GoIrish 5:30-7:30 CT 600 N M… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 3 days ago