Nov 30, 2012, 12:38 AM EDT
The defending national champions. The #1 recruiting class. The #8 team in the nation. The supposedly bigger, faster and stronger Kentucky Wildcats. All that might have meant something had this game been played in Rupp Arena.
But as Notre Dame has demonstrated time and time again during Mike Brey‘s tenure as head coach, few teams come to South Bend and leave with a victory.
With what seemed to be nearly half of the top-ranked Fighting Irish football team standing courtside, and the rowdy Leprechaun Legion in full force behind them, Notre Dame dominated Kentucky, 64-50 on a “blackout night” at Purcell Pavilion.
Led by Eric Atkins 16 points, Jack Cooley‘s sixth double-double of the season (13 points, 11 rebounds) and Cam Biedscheid‘s spark off the bench (10 points), the Irish held Kentucky to just 50 points, the Wildcats’ fewest in the John Calipari era.
Even with Kentucky’s size advantage, Notre Dame won the game on the glass, 33-27.
It was Notre Dame’s 41st win in its last 42 home games, and the Irish are now 106-7 in their past 113 contests at Purcell.
Pretty amazing stats for what’s always been considered a “football school.”
The Fighting Irish deserve all the recognition they’ve been receiving for their success on the gridiron this season. Football will always be the primary sport at Notre Dame, but nights like tonight are prime examples that this university has everything it needs to be a “basketball school” too – a passionate student section, a home court advantage, a great head coach, and of course, a pretty darn good team.
I’ve seen a lot of Notre Dame basketball games over the years, and I can confidently say tonight’s atmosphere may have only been matched by the upset of Syracuse in January. In fact, there were moments where I think it may have been louder than the game against the #1 Orange. From the Legion’s arrival more than an hour before the game to Manti Te’o‘s Cooley dunk celebration to Kapron Lewis-Moore‘s good-natured heckling of Calipari, none of the 9,149 in attendance will soon forget being there for Notre Dame’s win over the Wildcats.
It was a night of future NBA lottery picks versus a program built on experience, leadership and defense. Even with Kentucky’s wealth of talent and more than two dozen professional scouts on hand, Notre Dame not only outplayed its opponent, but looked like the better basketball team.
In one of the marquee nationally televised games of the young season, tonight was all about this school, this student body, and most of all, this team, proving once again that you should never count out the Fighting Irish.
After four games in nine days, Notre Dame (7-1) has an extended break before hosting Brown at Purcell next Saturday, Dec. 8 at 7:00 pm ET on ESPN3.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Don't miss @mmabrey1 & @JShepard32 on the #NDDay broadcast tonight at 9:13 p.m. ET 🎤☘️ 💻: ntrda.me/1k69eBP https://t.co/kz0UCifJs3 1 day ago
- Keep the National Champions on top! VOTE NOW for Women's Basketball 👉: ntrda.me/2qPvTzr #NDDay #GoIrish https://t.co/zHwyPg4cLT 1 day ago
- Our favorite part — sharing the hardware with our #NDFamily. https://t.co/Mo9v529csF 1 day ago
- 2️⃣9️⃣ hours of the Notre Dame Day live broadcast is underway! Donate your votes to your 2018 National Champions b… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Don't forget to stop by the Purcell Pavilion Bookstore to pick up your very own National Championship gear 😎☘️ https://t.co/5OqM0q9AT3 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Our 2017-18 Most Improved Player - Portsmouth Invitational stand out and future pro @Martin_Geben sits down with Jo… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Remember #10for5 - give @NDmbb all five votes to help send local kids to summer camp! #Camp4Kids twitter.com/ndloyal/status… 1 day ago
- #NDDay starts Monday! You can start donating now... help us by going #10for5 - donating 10 bucks and sending all fi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: At 12, he was in foster care. At 21, he made it to a second #EliteEight. Then, he made it to the @NBA. @NDmbb alum @D_J… 5 days ago
- #51 | #94 | #77 | #81 (L to R) 4️⃣ ESPN final top 💯 ratings for 4️⃣ of our 5️⃣ incoming freshmen! https://t.co/4b8hgVN0sf 1 week ago