Nov 29, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
Get ready. For just the second time in Notre Dame basketball history, the Fighting Irish will be sporting black jerseys at Purcell Pavilion.
The adidas uniforms are part of Notre Dame’s blackout promotion for tonight’s SEC – BIG EAST Challenge game against defending national champion #8 Kentucky. With the Irish switching it up this evening, fans are also encouraged to participate in the blackout. Shirts will be placed on each of the chairs in the arena.
They wore the black jerseys for five of the remaining seven games of the 2005-06 season, and posted a 3-3 overall record in the alternate threads.
The black jerseys made their first and only appearance in South Bend for the NIT first round game against Vanderbilt on Mar. 15 of that year. Notre Dame won, 79-69.
Despite playing in its home arena, Notre Dame was the lower seed and technically the away team. In basketball, home teams traditionally wear white, so Notre Dame had to make a special exception with the NCAA and Kentucky for tonight’s game.
Since the jerseys’ debut season, Notre Dame has donned black for 16 other games, but not since Jan. 30, 2010 in a 74-73 loss at Rutgers.
Overall, the Irish are 10-12 in the uniforms (2005-06: 3-3, 2006-07: 2-3, 2007-08: 4-2, 2008-09: 1-3, 2009-10: 0-1). Tonight, Notre Dame looks to improve its home record to 2-0 in alternate black unis, and more importantly, improve to 7-1 with a big non-conference victory to bolster that early NCAA tournament resume.
It’s the first marquee home game of the 2012-13 season, and it’s sure to be a special atmosphere in Purcell tonight.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- #McGrawHoF☘️ Series: McGraw has coached 19 different consensus All-Americans, including current three-time winner… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 9 hours ago
- #McGrawHoF☘️ Series: 4 years -- 4 ACC tournament titles Relive the 2017 celebration #GoIrish https://t.co/kdXUYvzrqI 1 day ago
- Why did Danielle Patterson pick Notre Dame? Get to know the birthday girl in our latest 60 Second Drill! 👀… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Join us in wishing Danielle Patterson a very Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day, @d_patterson33! 🎉🎂🎁 https://t.co/W3kvqp0aag 1 day ago
- Big night for the Irish☘️ in the WNBA, including a #NotreDame showdown out West between @kaymac_2123 & @jewellloyd. https://t.co/VoTONjGClb 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Our @Martin_Geben prepping for @FISUnetwork in Taipei with @musukrepsinis 1st game Aug 20 vs Israel #SUTaipei2017 https://t.co/Yl7idcF7Gd 2 days ago
- With a heavy heart, we announce the passing of Irish legend Tom Hawkins. A trailblazer and true 'Notre Dame Man.'… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
- DYK? 🤔❓ @MattyFarr3 set the @NDmbb school record for 3FG% in ACC play last season? #Sharpshooter https://t.co/A1hJT9GuhR 4 days ago
- 🏅🔓 Achievement unlocked! @Martin_Geben takes out his first backboard in Taipei with Lithuanian Student Team. 🤞hope… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 days ago
- RT @NDmbbSID: In China, @Martin_Geben finishes pre-World University Game Tour with another huge game vs. Montenegro - 22 MP, 21 pts, 7 reb… 1 week ago
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish, Valpo Clash In Annual Grassroot Soccer Contest
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
- Football. EXCLUSIVE: Rockne Heritage Uniforms Unveiled
- M. Lacrosse. Four Irish Alums Set To Play For MLL Championship
- Cross Country. Cross Country Tabs Four Captains for 2017 Season