Nov 29, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
Get ready. For just the second time in Notre Dame basketball history, the Fighting Irish will be sporting black jerseys at Purcell Pavilion.
The adidas uniforms are part of Notre Dame’s blackout promotion for tonight’s SEC – BIG EAST Challenge game against defending national champion #8 Kentucky. With the Irish switching it up this evening, fans are also encouraged to participate in the blackout. Shirts will be placed on each of the chairs in the arena.
They wore the black jerseys for five of the remaining seven games of the 2005-06 season, and posted a 3-3 overall record in the alternate threads.
The black jerseys made their first and only appearance in South Bend for the NIT first round game against Vanderbilt on Mar. 15 of that year. Notre Dame won, 79-69.
Despite playing in its home arena, Notre Dame was the lower seed and technically the away team. In basketball, home teams traditionally wear white, so Notre Dame had to make a special exception with the NCAA and Kentucky for tonight’s game.
Since the jerseys’ debut season, Notre Dame has donned black for 16 other games, but not since Jan. 30, 2010 in a 74-73 loss at Rutgers.
Overall, the Irish are 10-12 in the uniforms (2005-06: 3-3, 2006-07: 2-3, 2007-08: 4-2, 2008-09: 1-3, 2009-10: 0-1). Tonight, Notre Dame looks to improve its home record to 2-0 in alternate black unis, and more importantly, improve to 7-1 with a big non-conference victory to bolster that early NCAA tournament resume.
It’s the first marquee home game of the 2012-13 season, and it’s sure to be a special atmosphere in Purcell tonight.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 🏀 6 guaranteed games. ❄️ Air conditioned courts. 👀 Less than 10 spots remain for Team Camp! ✍🏽️ Sign up today 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 📢We're screaming from the rooftop of Purcell! Happy Administrative Professionals Day to the incredible Sharla Lewi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- "I love opportunities like this, to interact with kids & be out in the community." 👏🏽Great job, @NatAchon ('14)! ☘️ https://t.co/Z70gSDwybB 1 day ago
- Happy Birthday to our senior manager, Becca Moore! ✌🏼👩🏽✌🏼 #ShesFeeling22 🎉🎁 https://t.co/oXpWDuzyar 1 day ago
- RT @nyliberty: .@LA_Cruisen gives an update on Day 2️⃣ of camp @ndwbb 👇 https://t.co/pT9k4LYtzd 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ND Day is live! Our @BonzieColson will be live in the 9 pm ET hour tonight. twitter.com/ndmbb/status/8… 3 days ago
- Our goal = send local kids to our summer camps You can help Vote for us during @ProudtobeND 💵 ▶️ camp costs 🗳️ ▶️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 days ago
- RT @NDBusiness: When you see a fellow Domer on #NationalHighFiveDay... ☘️ @NDmbb https://t.co/ShUwC44df6 6 days ago
- A look back at one of our top moments from 2016-17 - a steal and drive seals The Legends Classic Championship over… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago
- Only returning @accmbb player w/1,200+ pts, 600+ rebs. @BonzieColson's return puts Irish in contention in 2017-18… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago