Nov 29, 2012, 2:13 PM EST
Get ready. For just the second time in Notre Dame basketball history, the Fighting Irish will be sporting black jerseys at Purcell Pavilion.
The adidas uniforms are part of Notre Dame’s blackout promotion for tonight’s SEC – BIG EAST Challenge game against defending national champion #8 Kentucky. With the Irish switching it up this evening, fans are also encouraged to participate in the blackout. Shirts will be placed on each of the chairs in the arena.
They wore the black jerseys for five of the remaining seven games of the 2005-06 season, and posted a 3-3 overall record in the alternate threads.
The black jerseys made their first and only appearance in South Bend for the NIT first round game against Vanderbilt on Mar. 15 of that year. Notre Dame won, 79-69.
Despite playing in its home arena, Notre Dame was the lower seed and technically the away team. In basketball, home teams traditionally wear white, so Notre Dame had to make a special exception with the NCAA and Kentucky for tonight’s game.
Since the jerseys’ debut season, Notre Dame has donned black for 16 other games, but not since Jan. 30, 2010 in a 74-73 loss at Rutgers.
Overall, the Irish are 10-12 in the uniforms (2005-06: 3-3, 2006-07: 2-3, 2007-08: 4-2, 2008-09: 1-3, 2009-10: 0-1). Tonight, Notre Dame looks to improve its home record to 2-0 in alternate black unis, and more importantly, improve to 7-1 with a big non-conference victory to bolster that early NCAA tournament resume.
It’s the first marquee home game of the 2012-13 season, and it’s sure to be a special atmosphere in Purcell tonight.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- The @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show presented by @tire_rack is LIVE! Catch all the action now on Facebook! ⤵️ 🔗… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 18 hours ago
- The stage is set for another edition of the @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show starting at 6 pm ET. Tonight’s guests includ… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 19 hours ago
- When you average 2️⃣5️⃣ points and spearhead the largest comeback in program history, the @accwbb office comes 📞 C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 21 hours ago
- The @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show is back live at @ORourkes_Pub tonight at 6 p.m. ET. Come with an appetite and some q… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Want to hear all about our three-game, 3️⃣ win, homestand from @MuffetMcGraw? Join us TONIGHT for the Muffet McGr… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- You can always count on the FIGHT in Fighting Irish. Another battle to the end coming up in the next 20 minutes on… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Back on the 🛣 for an @accmbb 🤜💥🤛 battle vs #20 Clemson Starting 🖐 at 🐯 🕷 @MattyFarr3 👑 @rexpflueger 🔋… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Arrival ✅ Irish Tigers 4 pm ESPN https://t.co/9lXGi3zckz 2 days ago
- ☀️ is out in Carolina... ☘️ are ready to roll vs 🐯 🌅 4 pm ET | ESPN https://t.co/uXOXYd1iZN 3 days ago
- Putting our preparation to the test tomorrow. 4 pm | ESPN | at Clemson https://t.co/uXOXYd1iZN 3 days ago
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo Announces Resignation as Irish Women’s Soccer Coach
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Named ACC Player of the Week
- M. Lacrosse. Men's Lacrosse Announces Two Preseason Exhibitions
- W. Tennis. Season Outlook: Irish Combine Veteran Experience With Young Talent
- Baseball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale