Nov 29, 2012, 2:13 PM EST
Get ready. For just the second time in Notre Dame basketball history, the Fighting Irish will be sporting black jerseys at Purcell Pavilion.
The adidas uniforms are part of Notre Dame’s blackout promotion for tonight’s SEC – BIG EAST Challenge game against defending national champion #8 Kentucky. With the Irish switching it up this evening, fans are also encouraged to participate in the blackout. Shirts will be placed on each of the chairs in the arena.
They wore the black jerseys for five of the remaining seven games of the 2005-06 season, and posted a 3-3 overall record in the alternate threads.
The black jerseys made their first and only appearance in South Bend for the NIT first round game against Vanderbilt on Mar. 15 of that year. Notre Dame won, 79-69.
Despite playing in its home arena, Notre Dame was the lower seed and technically the away team. In basketball, home teams traditionally wear white, so Notre Dame had to make a special exception with the NCAA and Kentucky for tonight’s game.
Since the jerseys’ debut season, Notre Dame has donned black for 16 other games, but not since Jan. 30, 2010 in a 74-73 loss at Rutgers.
Overall, the Irish are 10-12 in the uniforms (2005-06: 3-3, 2006-07: 2-3, 2007-08: 4-2, 2008-09: 1-3, 2009-10: 0-1). Tonight, Notre Dame looks to improve its home record to 2-0 in alternate black unis, and more importantly, improve to 7-1 with a big non-conference victory to bolster that early NCAA tournament resume.
It’s the first marquee home game of the 2012-13 season, and it’s sure to be a special atmosphere in Purcell tonight.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Join us Monday, Nov. 20th! 👠 Muffet McGraw Radio Show, presented by @Tire_Rack 📍 @ORourkes_Pub 🎥 @watchND 📻… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 37 minutes ago
- ICYMI: @Arike_O named to Wooden Award Preseason 🔝3️⃣0️⃣! https://t.co/8uEvfD4rGf 1 hour ago
- Thanks to our fans who brought in donations for Puerto Rico! ☘️♥️ https://t.co/BKJriy5CAr 20 hours ago
- RT @ncaawbb: One of the first calls that Jessica Shepard made when she found out that she was granted immediate eligibility at @NDwbb was t… 1 day ago
- Stop 2️⃣ of the 7️⃣ game road swing Corvallis ✈️ on Sunday! https://t.co/nhPUQb7DnA 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Great to be 3-0 and heading to Maui... Check out the HIGHLIGHTS from our win over Chicago State. https://t.co/emjxf7n5gx 13 hours ago
- ND 105 | Chicago State 66 FINAL Led by a career-high 23 pts from @Tempppp12 Irish 3-0 and heading to 🏝Maui🏝 https://t.co/4MgkyaNOJO 15 hours ago
- Irish looking smooth so far on ‘Rock the Mock’ Night... https://t.co/sF4qRHTuNs 16 hours ago
- 🔒Protect Purcell🔒 ☘️ vs Chicago State 👉🏀👈 tip 7 pm ET 📺 espn.com/watch/_/id/319… 📻 und.com/collegesportsl… https://t.co/GetPRtPOwb 17 hours ago
- Ready to get back on the floor tonight! https://t.co/96y3c3dyQr 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. Irish Roll In 105-66 Blowout Victory Over Chicago State
- Softball. Irish Softball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- W. Basketball. The Muffet McGraw Radio Show, Presented by TireRack.com, Returns Nov. 20
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Wraps Up Home Schedule Against UNC And NC State
- General News. Alex Mansour: Coming Through in the Clutch