Nov 28, 2012, 10:19 PM EST
With students and fans constantly buzzing over the incredible season put together by the Irish football team, excitement seems to be in abundance around campus lately. As fans begin to turn to the hardwood, it is safe to say that they have plenty of reasons to keep that excitement at the same high level. To say that the upcoming seven days will be an exciting time for Notre Dame basketball fans would be an understatement.
Both the Irish men’s and women’s basketball teams will play host to defending national champions in a span of only seven days. First, the Irish men will welcome the Kentucky Wildcats to Purcell Pavilion on Thursday, and then next Wednesday the Irish women will host Baylor in a rematch of the 2012 championship game.
As the Irish men prepare to take on the Wildcats before a Purcell Pavilion crowd donning their “blackout” attire, it appears to be a fitting time to take a look back at the team’s history against reigning championship teams. The Irish hold an all-time record of 11 wins against 26 losses against defending champions. The first time the Irish took on a defending champion was all the way back in 1941, when they lost a low scoring affair to Wisconsin, 43-35. The most recent encounter they have had with a defending champion was a 50-48 victory over Connecticut, just last January.
Notre Dame has played Kentucky on five separate occasions when the Wildcats were coming off of championship seasons and has only come away with a win in one of those games–a 64-51 victory at home in 1950. However, things may be looking up heading into Thursday night’s showdown. The Irish have found some recent success against teams defending their title, with a record of 6-4 in their past ten tries. Notre Dame, which has certainly been recognized for its hard to match home success in recent years, also sports an all-time record of 7-7 when these contests have been played in South Bend.
Playing a team coming off a NCAA tournament victory will always serve as a unique challenge, and Kentucky will be no exception to that. One thing is for certain though, Irish fans should relish the opportunity to dress themselves in black and come out to support their team against such a storied foe. And after the Wildcats have headed back to Lexington, the excitement will continue as two basketball powerhouses collide when Baylor comes into town to challenge the Fighting Irish women’s basketball team on Dec. 5.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- The @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show presented by @tire_rack is LIVE! Catch all the action now on Facebook! ⤵️ 🔗… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 18 hours ago
- The stage is set for another edition of the @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show starting at 6 pm ET. Tonight’s guests includ… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 19 hours ago
- When you average 2️⃣5️⃣ points and spearhead the largest comeback in program history, the @accwbb office comes 📞 C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 21 hours ago
- The @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show is back live at @ORourkes_Pub tonight at 6 p.m. ET. Come with an appetite and some q… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Want to hear all about our three-game, 3️⃣ win, homestand from @MuffetMcGraw? Join us TONIGHT for the Muffet McGr… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- You can always count on the FIGHT in Fighting Irish. Another battle to the end coming up in the next 20 minutes on… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Back on the 🛣 for an @accmbb 🤜💥🤛 battle vs #20 Clemson Starting 🖐 at 🐯 🕷 @MattyFarr3 👑 @rexpflueger 🔋… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Arrival ✅ Irish Tigers 4 pm ESPN https://t.co/9lXGi3zckz 2 days ago
- ☀️ is out in Carolina... ☘️ are ready to roll vs 🐯 🌅 4 pm ET | ESPN https://t.co/uXOXYd1iZN 3 days ago
- Putting our preparation to the test tomorrow. 4 pm | ESPN | at Clemson https://t.co/uXOXYd1iZN 3 days ago
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo Announces Resignation as Irish Women’s Soccer Coach
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Named ACC Player of the Week
- M. Lacrosse. Men's Lacrosse Announces Two Preseason Exhibitions
- W. Tennis. Season Outlook: Irish Combine Veteran Experience With Young Talent
- Baseball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale