Nov 28, 2012, 10:19 PM EST
With students and fans constantly buzzing over the incredible season put together by the Irish football team, excitement seems to be in abundance around campus lately. As fans begin to turn to the hardwood, it is safe to say that they have plenty of reasons to keep that excitement at the same high level. To say that the upcoming seven days will be an exciting time for Notre Dame basketball fans would be an understatement.
Both the Irish men’s and women’s basketball teams will play host to defending national champions in a span of only seven days. First, the Irish men will welcome the Kentucky Wildcats to Purcell Pavilion on Thursday, and then next Wednesday the Irish women will host Baylor in a rematch of the 2012 championship game.
As the Irish men prepare to take on the Wildcats before a Purcell Pavilion crowd donning their “blackout” attire, it appears to be a fitting time to take a look back at the team’s history against reigning championship teams. The Irish hold an all-time record of 11 wins against 26 losses against defending champions. The first time the Irish took on a defending champion was all the way back in 1941, when they lost a low scoring affair to Wisconsin, 43-35. The most recent encounter they have had with a defending champion was a 50-48 victory over Connecticut, just last January.
Notre Dame has played Kentucky on five separate occasions when the Wildcats were coming off of championship seasons and has only come away with a win in one of those games–a 64-51 victory at home in 1950. However, things may be looking up heading into Thursday night’s showdown. The Irish have found some recent success against teams defending their title, with a record of 6-4 in their past ten tries. Notre Dame, which has certainly been recognized for its hard to match home success in recent years, also sports an all-time record of 7-7 when these contests have been played in South Bend.
Playing a team coming off a NCAA tournament victory will always serve as a unique challenge, and Kentucky will be no exception to that. One thing is for certain though, Irish fans should relish the opportunity to dress themselves in black and come out to support their team against such a storied foe. And after the Wildcats have headed back to Lexington, the excitement will continue as two basketball powerhouses collide when Baylor comes into town to challenge the Fighting Irish women’s basketball team on Dec. 5.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Join us Monday, Nov. 20th! 👠 Muffet McGraw Radio Show, presented by @Tire_Rack 📍 @ORourkes_Pub 🎥 @watchND 📻… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 34 minutes ago
- ICYMI: @Arike_O named to Wooden Award Preseason 🔝3️⃣0️⃣! https://t.co/8uEvfD4rGf 1 hour ago
- Thanks to our fans who brought in donations for Puerto Rico! ☘️♥️ https://t.co/BKJriy5CAr 20 hours ago
- RT @ncaawbb: One of the first calls that Jessica Shepard made when she found out that she was granted immediate eligibility at @NDwbb was t… 1 day ago
- Stop 2️⃣ of the 7️⃣ game road swing Corvallis ✈️ on Sunday! https://t.co/nhPUQb7DnA 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Great to be 3-0 and heading to Maui... Check out the HIGHLIGHTS from our win over Chicago State. https://t.co/emjxf7n5gx 13 hours ago
- ND 105 | Chicago State 66 FINAL Led by a career-high 23 pts from @Tempppp12 Irish 3-0 and heading to 🏝Maui🏝 https://t.co/4MgkyaNOJO 15 hours ago
- Irish looking smooth so far on ‘Rock the Mock’ Night... https://t.co/sF4qRHTuNs 16 hours ago
- 🔒Protect Purcell🔒 ☘️ vs Chicago State 👉🏀👈 tip 7 pm ET 📺 espn.com/watch/_/id/319… 📻 und.com/collegesportsl… https://t.co/GetPRtPOwb 17 hours ago
- Ready to get back on the floor tonight! https://t.co/96y3c3dyQr 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. Irish Roll In 105-66 Blowout Victory Over Chicago State
- Softball. Irish Softball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- W. Basketball. The Muffet McGraw Radio Show, Presented by TireRack.com, Returns Nov. 20
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Wraps Up Home Schedule Against UNC And NC State
- General News. Alex Mansour: Coming Through in the Clutch