Nov 20, 2012, 12:32 PM EST
Kayla McBride is a junior guard from Erie, Pennsylvania who lives in Ryan Hall at Notre Dame. She has played on the team two years and is off to a great start in her third. I recently caught up with her for a Q&A.
Q: When did you start playing?
When I was five, in the YMCA league.
Q: Is there any story behind your number (21)?
Yeah, Charlie [Ward] wore it. He played for the New York Knicks. He always ran a camp back in my hometown, and that’s where I first started playing basketball with all the boys, so ever since then I’ve worn it. Natalie Novosel wore it when I got here, but after she left last year, I decided to switch it up.
Q: Do you have a favorite professional player?
Michael Jordan. But if you’re talking about now, I definitely like Dwyane Wade’s game–I think he’s probably my favorite.
Q: Do you have a favorite player in college basketball to match up against?
Playing against Maya Moore was pretty cool, but I also just love playing with Sky [Diggins], she’s very competitive, and she’s really easy to play with. She has a really high basketball IQ.
Q: Why did you pick Notre Dame?
I came here when I was sixteen, a junior in high school, and I was just so wowed by everything. It’s a perfect combination of athletics and academics, and I knew I could succeed outside of basketball here.
Q: Apart from the basketball team, what’s your favorite part about Notre Dame?
The camaraderie, I would say. Everyone’s so close, and even after you leave, there’s so much opportunity to remain close.
Q: What’s your major?
I’m a marketing major. Mendoza all the way.
Q: Do you have a favorite class?
Yeah my favorite class is definitely Consumer Behavior with Professor Bradford.
Q: Do you have a pregame ritual?
No, I did in high school, but once I got to college, everything is already so planned out for you, I just got caught up in that. It’s kind of hard to have one.
Q: What was your high school basketball career like?
I played four years on varsity–we won states my junior and senior years, and we were runner-up my freshman year.
Q: Do you have a favorite shot to use in HORSE?
Between the legs reverse…lay-up. Actually it’s behind the back too. Behind the back, between the legs, reverse lay-up.
Q: And you’ve made that before?
Q: Are you ever going to use it in a game?
Not in a game, I think Coach might take me out.
Q: If Manti Te’o played Skylar Diggins 1v1, who would win and what would the score be?
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Full release now available! twitter.com/ndsidmasters/s… 12 hours ago
- Some great news to round out the week ... Coach @MuffetMcGraw named a finalist for the @Hoophall Class of 2016. https://t.co/O7u91QQdds 17 hours ago
- The fun has begun! Come SPIN for a great cause anytime now through midnight! #NDWBBPinkZone twitter.com/NDRecsports/st… 19 hours ago
- https://t.co/PuijMp1AUw 22 hours ago
- "The Lord can heal your heart if you believe" -Ingrid Williams Thoughts and prayers for Monty Williams & his family https://t.co/BJyDwdtQbQ 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- 😎4th STRAIGHT SELLOUT You ready for another HYPE crowd vs Louisville? WE NEED YOU! 🏀ND|UL 📅Saturday ⏰4pm 📺ESPN2 https://t.co/941spKVPru 11 hours ago
- We had a couple visitors you may remember at practice earlier ... Welcome back, EA, Jerian & Pat! https://t.co/mkAk6xekcu 14 hours ago
- In 2+ years in ACC... 🏀31 WINS vs ACC 🛣9-1 (in last 10) vs TOBACCO ROAD 🏆1 TITLE READ MORE: cbssports.com/collegebasketb… https://t.co/eClkW3ZKwn 17 hours ago
- RETWEET FOR CHANCE TO WIN One of the awesome shirts @LepLegion wore during our win over UNC. https://t.co/jIM3BdXlkr 20 hours ago
- Long after practice & lift is over, our Cousy Award finalist is still getting shots up in an empty Purcell Pavilion. https://t.co/pKF84QEtBm 1 day ago
- W. Lacrosse. 13: Bad Luck to Some, Honored Legacy To Eilers
- Softball. #24/RV Irish Split Ranked Games On Kajikawa Classic Day 1
- Track. Molly Seidel Beats Own Record at Iowa State Invite
- M. Ice Hockey. A Three-Goal Third Period Sees #8 Irish Overcome Maine 4-1
- W. Tennis. Closs lifts No. 33 Irish Over Pitt, 4-3, In ACC Opener