Nov 20, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
Kayla McBride is a junior guard from Erie, Pennsylvania who lives in Ryan Hall at Notre Dame. She has played on the team two years and is off to a great start in her third. I recently caught up with her for a Q&A.
Q: When did you start playing?
When I was five, in the YMCA league.
Q: Is there any story behind your number (21)?
Yeah, Charlie [Ward] wore it. He played for the New York Knicks. He always ran a camp back in my hometown, and that’s where I first started playing basketball with all the boys, so ever since then I’ve worn it. Natalie Novosel wore it when I got here, but after she left last year, I decided to switch it up.
Q: Do you have a favorite professional player?
Michael Jordan. But if you’re talking about now, I definitely like Dwyane Wade’s game–I think he’s probably my favorite.
Q: Do you have a favorite player in college basketball to match up against?
Playing against Maya Moore was pretty cool, but I also just love playing with Sky [Diggins], she’s very competitive, and she’s really easy to play with. She has a really high basketball IQ.
Q: Why did you pick Notre Dame?
I came here when I was sixteen, a junior in high school, and I was just so wowed by everything. It’s a perfect combination of athletics and academics, and I knew I could succeed outside of basketball here.
Q: Apart from the basketball team, what’s your favorite part about Notre Dame?
The camaraderie, I would say. Everyone’s so close, and even after you leave, there’s so much opportunity to remain close.
Q: What’s your major?
I’m a marketing major. Mendoza all the way.
Q: Do you have a favorite class?
Yeah my favorite class is definitely Consumer Behavior with Professor Bradford.
Q: Do you have a pregame ritual?
No, I did in high school, but once I got to college, everything is already so planned out for you, I just got caught up in that. It’s kind of hard to have one.
Q: What was your high school basketball career like?
I played four years on varsity–we won states my junior and senior years, and we were runner-up my freshman year.
Q: Do you have a favorite shot to use in HORSE?
Between the legs reverse…lay-up. Actually it’s behind the back too. Behind the back, between the legs, reverse lay-up.
Q: And you’ve made that before?
Q: Are you ever going to use it in a game?
Not in a game, I think Coach might take me out.
Q: If Manti Te’o played Skylar Diggins 1v1, who would win and what would the score be?
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- “Notre Dame is such a magical place. You can really feel the tradition when you walk around this campus.” -… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Catch @MuffetMcGraw on @ESPNUonSiriusXM 📻 at 11:15 am ET https://t.co/c7adM4MRGv 2 days ago
- ICYMI: @Arike_O & @mmabrey1 took over ACC Media Day 💯 https://t.co/EeVxmWiRGE 2 days ago
- That’s a wrap on #ACCMediaDay Back to the Bend! 🛩 https://t.co/y5UEOOhReL 3 days ago
- #Buckets 🏀 #ACCMediaDay https://t.co/ag7cKoC3sU 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament