Nov 20, 2012, 12:32 PM EST
Kayla McBride is a junior guard from Erie, Pennsylvania who lives in Ryan Hall at Notre Dame. She has played on the team two years and is off to a great start in her third. I recently caught up with her for a Q&A.
Q: When did you start playing?
When I was five, in the YMCA league.
Q: Is there any story behind your number (21)?
Yeah, Charlie [Ward] wore it. He played for the New York Knicks. He always ran a camp back in my hometown, and that’s where I first started playing basketball with all the boys, so ever since then I’ve worn it. Natalie Novosel wore it when I got here, but after she left last year, I decided to switch it up.
Q: Do you have a favorite professional player?
Michael Jordan. But if you’re talking about now, I definitely like Dwyane Wade’s game–I think he’s probably my favorite.
Q: Do you have a favorite player in college basketball to match up against?
Playing against Maya Moore was pretty cool, but I also just love playing with Sky [Diggins], she’s very competitive, and she’s really easy to play with. She has a really high basketball IQ.
Q: Why did you pick Notre Dame?
I came here when I was sixteen, a junior in high school, and I was just so wowed by everything. It’s a perfect combination of athletics and academics, and I knew I could succeed outside of basketball here.
Q: Apart from the basketball team, what’s your favorite part about Notre Dame?
The camaraderie, I would say. Everyone’s so close, and even after you leave, there’s so much opportunity to remain close.
Q: What’s your major?
I’m a marketing major. Mendoza all the way.
Q: Do you have a favorite class?
Yeah my favorite class is definitely Consumer Behavior with Professor Bradford.
Q: Do you have a pregame ritual?
No, I did in high school, but once I got to college, everything is already so planned out for you, I just got caught up in that. It’s kind of hard to have one.
Q: What was your high school basketball career like?
I played four years on varsity–we won states my junior and senior years, and we were runner-up my freshman year.
Q: Do you have a favorite shot to use in HORSE?
Between the legs reverse…lay-up. Actually it’s behind the back too. Behind the back, between the legs, reverse lay-up.
Q: And you’ve made that before?
Q: Are you ever going to use it in a game?
Not in a game, I think Coach might take me out.
Q: If Manti Te’o played Skylar Diggins 1v1, who would win and what would the score be?
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Our Pink Zone Online Auction is LIVE! Help us in the fight against breast cancer & bid for some pretty neat Notre D… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Back 🏠 with win No. 25. See you later this week Irish fans! #OneGoal https://t.co/JcClN37Qdd 1 day ago
- ✅ Career-high 1️⃣6️⃣ points ✅ Career-best 7️⃣ made field goals ✅ Career-high 8️⃣ assists ✅ Season-high 8️⃣ boards… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- With 1️⃣4️⃣ road wins in the books -- the second-most in the country -- and a dominant 89-55 win vs. Boston College… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- ✌️more to go in the regular season! https://t.co/LBU67q7wCN 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
- Baseball. Gilgenbach's Two-Homer Day Takes Series At No. 9 LSU