Nov 10, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
Led by Jack Cooley‘s 14th career double-double (19 points, 11 rebounds), Notre Dame opened its season with a 58-49 victory over Evansville at Purcell Pavilion on Saturday afternoon.
Cooley scored the Irish’s first nine points of the game, including a three-pointer from the top of the key. The Purple Aces gave the senior from Glenview, Ill. all day, and he knocked down the shot for the first trey of his college career.
Cameron Biedscheid scored seven points in his Notre Dame debut, none bigger than three he made midway through the second half, with the shot clock expiring, to push Notre Dame’s lead back to double digits.
In the midst of the home stretch of the college football season, fans have a tendency to write off these early season basketball games. And to the outside viewer, it might not have been the prettiest victory.
The Irish shot only 40% from the field, 60% from the charity stripe, and turned the ball over 13 times.
But any opening day victory is a quality one, and these are the type of wins that help teams improve over the long grind of the college basketball season.
It’s a quick turnaround for the Irish, as they will host Monmouth on Monday, Nov. 12 at 7 pm on ESPN3.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- “Notre Dame is such a magical place. You can really feel the tradition when you walk around this campus.” -… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Catch @MuffetMcGraw on @ESPNUonSiriusXM 📻 at 11:15 am ET https://t.co/c7adM4MRGv 2 days ago
- ICYMI: @Arike_O & @mmabrey1 took over ACC Media Day 💯 https://t.co/EeVxmWiRGE 2 days ago
- That’s a wrap on #ACCMediaDay Back to the Bend! 🛩 https://t.co/y5UEOOhReL 3 days ago
- #Buckets 🏀 #ACCMediaDay https://t.co/ag7cKoC3sU 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament