Oct 26, 2012, 8:43 PM EDT
Playing a technical road game in their home state, the Indiana Pacers must feel like they’re a little further west tonight.
Less than three weeks after the Notre Dame football team traveled to Chicago, the relationship between the University and its closest major city is strengthening tonight. Purcell Pavilion has a decidedly Chicago feel as the Bulls host the Pacers in both teams’ final preseason game.
Before the game, the Purcell videoboard played montages of the city set to Frank Sinatra, while fans tried to get pictures with their favorite players during warmups.
Bulls PA announcer Tommy Edwards introduced the sellout crowd to “your Chicago Bulls” before the team began its famed “Sirius”-themed introductions. South Bend-area Bulls fans got to hear the same intro that used to end with a certain 6’6” guard “from Nooorth Carolina.”
Although it’s a night for Bulls fans, Notre Dame connections are on display as well. Men’s basketball head coach Mike Brey presented the ball for the opening tip, and Indiana Pacers guard Ben Hansbrough got one of the loudest ovations of the game when he checked in during the first quarter. Leading the Irish to a 2-seed in the NCAA tournament, Hansbrough was the Big East Player of the Year in his final season with Notre Dame in 2011.
While it’s a little strange to see the Joyce Center decked out in red, watching Bulls players facing off on the center-court monogram “ND” is a great representation of the long history between the city of Chicago and the University of Notre Dame.
Stay tuned to “In the Paint” for more coverage of tonight’s Bulls-Pacers preseason matchup.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 🏀 6 guaranteed games. ❄️ Air conditioned courts. 👀 Less than 10 spots remain for Team Camp! ✍🏽️ Sign up today 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 📢We're screaming from the rooftop of Purcell! Happy Administrative Professionals Day to the incredible Sharla Lewi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- "I love opportunities like this, to interact with kids & be out in the community." 👏🏽Great job, @NatAchon ('14)! ☘️ https://t.co/Z70gSDwybB 1 day ago
- Happy Birthday to our senior manager, Becca Moore! ✌🏼👩🏽✌🏼 #ShesFeeling22 🎉🎁 https://t.co/oXpWDuzyar 1 day ago
- RT @nyliberty: .@LA_Cruisen gives an update on Day 2️⃣ of camp @ndwbb 👇 https://t.co/pT9k4LYtzd 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ND Day is live! Our @BonzieColson will be live in the 9 pm ET hour tonight. twitter.com/ndmbb/status/8… 3 days ago
- Our goal = send local kids to our summer camps You can help Vote for us during @ProudtobeND 💵 ▶️ camp costs 🗳️ ▶️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 days ago
- RT @NDBusiness: When you see a fellow Domer on #NationalHighFiveDay... ☘️ @NDmbb https://t.co/ShUwC44df6 6 days ago
- A look back at one of our top moments from 2016-17 - a steal and drive seals The Legends Classic Championship over… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago
- Only returning @accmbb player w/1,200+ pts, 600+ rebs. @BonzieColson's return puts Irish in contention in 2017-18… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago