Oct 26, 2012, 8:52 PM EST
This week was the final stretch of preparation for Notre Dame basketball. The season starts off on Monday with an exhibition game against Quincy, and on Thursday, the team went its hardest in a final scrimmage.
Hansbrough may be coming back to Notre Dame as an NBA player, but he wasn’t wearing Pacers gear when he came to practice. It was a surprise to no one that his shirt read Notre Dame.
“Just being in this arena is exciting for me,” he said. “I’ve still got teammates and friends playing.”
That seems like an understatement. All of the upperclassmen have played with Hansbrough, and they greeted him like a long lost brother.
Hansbrough himself was pleased to be back. He watched the scrimmage with a basketball in his hands, tapping his feet restlessly and coaching his old teammates under his breath.
“Give it to Jack, give it to Jack,” he muttered when Jack Cooley was looking for the ball.
At one point, Scott Martin shot a three-pointer, and Hansbrough made a swish noise moments before the ball went in.
Martin was more than just a teammate to Hansbrough—the two lived together for multiple years when they were both students at Notre Dame. Their bond is especially obvious when the two sat down to talk after the scrimmage. Hansbrough remarked that after the practice, the two were heading out to dinner.
Hansbrough speaks, too, about the progress of Eric Atkins, who played under him when Hansbrough was the starter.
“He’s going to get better and better as time goes on,” Hansbrough explained. “He ran last year’s team, but I’m sure we haven’t even seen the best of Eric yet.”
With the season starting in just three days, the hope is that Hansbrough’s right—that we haven’t seen the best of Atkins yet, but also that the best of Notre Dame basketball is yet to come.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Join us Monday, Nov. 20th! 👠 Muffet McGraw Radio Show, presented by @Tire_Rack 📍 @ORourkes_Pub 🎥 @watchND 📻… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 29 minutes ago
- ICYMI: @Arike_O named to Wooden Award Preseason 🔝3️⃣0️⃣! https://t.co/8uEvfD4rGf 1 hour ago
- Thanks to our fans who brought in donations for Puerto Rico! ☘️♥️ https://t.co/BKJriy5CAr 20 hours ago
- RT @ncaawbb: One of the first calls that Jessica Shepard made when she found out that she was granted immediate eligibility at @NDwbb was t… 1 day ago
- Stop 2️⃣ of the 7️⃣ game road swing Corvallis ✈️ on Sunday! https://t.co/nhPUQb7DnA 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Great to be 3-0 and heading to Maui... Check out the HIGHLIGHTS from our win over Chicago State. https://t.co/emjxf7n5gx 13 hours ago
- ND 105 | Chicago State 66 FINAL Led by a career-high 23 pts from @Tempppp12 Irish 3-0 and heading to 🏝Maui🏝 https://t.co/4MgkyaNOJO 15 hours ago
- Irish looking smooth so far on ‘Rock the Mock’ Night... https://t.co/sF4qRHTuNs 16 hours ago
- 🔒Protect Purcell🔒 ☘️ vs Chicago State 👉🏀👈 tip 7 pm ET 📺 espn.com/watch/_/id/319… 📻 und.com/collegesportsl… https://t.co/GetPRtPOwb 17 hours ago
- Ready to get back on the floor tonight! https://t.co/96y3c3dyQr 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. Irish Roll In 105-66 Blowout Victory Over Chicago State
- Softball. Irish Softball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- W. Basketball. The Muffet McGraw Radio Show, Presented by TireRack.com, Returns Nov. 20
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Wraps Up Home Schedule Against UNC And NC State
- General News. Alex Mansour: Coming Through in the Clutch