Oct 26, 2012, 8:52 PM EDT
This week was the final stretch of preparation for Notre Dame basketball. The season starts off on Monday with an exhibition game against Quincy, and on Thursday, the team went its hardest in a final scrimmage.
Hansbrough may be coming back to Notre Dame as an NBA player, but he wasn’t wearing Pacers gear when he came to practice. It was a surprise to no one that his shirt read Notre Dame.
“Just being in this arena is exciting for me,” he said. “I’ve still got teammates and friends playing.”
That seems like an understatement. All of the upperclassmen have played with Hansbrough, and they greeted him like a long lost brother.
Hansbrough himself was pleased to be back. He watched the scrimmage with a basketball in his hands, tapping his feet restlessly and coaching his old teammates under his breath.
“Give it to Jack, give it to Jack,” he muttered when Jack Cooley was looking for the ball.
At one point, Scott Martin shot a three-pointer, and Hansbrough made a swish noise moments before the ball went in.
Martin was more than just a teammate to Hansbrough—the two lived together for multiple years when they were both students at Notre Dame. Their bond is especially obvious when the two sat down to talk after the scrimmage. Hansbrough remarked that after the practice, the two were heading out to dinner.
Hansbrough speaks, too, about the progress of Eric Atkins, who played under him when Hansbrough was the starter.
“He’s going to get better and better as time goes on,” Hansbrough explained. “He ran last year’s team, but I’m sure we haven’t even seen the best of Eric yet.”
With the season starting in just three days, the hope is that Hansbrough’s right—that we haven’t seen the best of Atkins yet, but also that the best of Notre Dame basketball is yet to come.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 🏀 6 guaranteed games. ❄️ Air conditioned courts. 👀 Less than 10 spots remain for Team Camp! ✍🏽️ Sign up today 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 📢We're screaming from the rooftop of Purcell! Happy Administrative Professionals Day to the incredible Sharla Lewi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- "I love opportunities like this, to interact with kids & be out in the community." 👏🏽Great job, @NatAchon ('14)! ☘️ https://t.co/Z70gSDwybB 1 day ago
- Happy Birthday to our senior manager, Becca Moore! ✌🏼👩🏽✌🏼 #ShesFeeling22 🎉🎁 https://t.co/oXpWDuzyar 1 day ago
- RT @nyliberty: .@LA_Cruisen gives an update on Day 2️⃣ of camp @ndwbb 👇 https://t.co/pT9k4LYtzd 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ND Day is live! Our @BonzieColson will be live in the 9 pm ET hour tonight. twitter.com/ndmbb/status/8… 3 days ago
- Our goal = send local kids to our summer camps You can help Vote for us during @ProudtobeND 💵 ▶️ camp costs 🗳️ ▶️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 days ago
- RT @NDBusiness: When you see a fellow Domer on #NationalHighFiveDay... ☘️ @NDmbb https://t.co/ShUwC44df6 6 days ago
- A look back at one of our top moments from 2016-17 - a steal and drive seals The Legends Classic Championship over… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago
- Only returning @accmbb player w/1,200+ pts, 600+ rebs. @BonzieColson's return puts Irish in contention in 2017-18… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago