Apr 10, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Grant Beachy (@GrantBeachy) is a freelance photographer from Goshen (Ind.) who had the opportunity to shoot a variety Notre Dame events this year. A former touring drummer, Beachy has owned his own recording studio, Electric Angel Studios, since 2005. In addition to recording, mixing and mastering audio tracks, Beachy has begun a career in photography. You can find more of his work at ElectricAngelPhotography.com.
Grant Beachy’s Photo Gallery – Notre Dame vs. Duke by Slidely Photo Gallery
“Have you ever shot sports?” Well, this was a question I hadn’t really counted on. I photograph about whatever I can, but a lot of it gravitates toward portraits, weddings and architecture. Sports had always been tempting and more than a bit intimidating. “I could use you for some basketball. Let me know what game you could shoot.” Well, this was tempting. I looked through the schedule and swung for the fences. “I’d like to shoot the Duke game. Could you do that?” And the reply, “I got you down for that.” was definitely not what I was expecting. I decided I better figure out what the heck I was doing.
Dear Google, how do you shoot basketball?
The day of the game I was so excited! I got my cameras together, picked the lens combos I thought I would probably need and headed over to get my media pass. Once I got down by the court I realized that even with a media pass, this would be no easy feat. Photographers from the AP, Chicago Tribune and everyone else had staked out their spot on the baseline. After walking around a bit I managed to squeeze in beside a friendly face who introduced himself as Rick Kimball. A great guy, and later I found out a fantastic photographer as well. And off we went!
One thing I never realized was how easy it is to get tunnel vision when you are shooting action. It was only during breaks that I had the presence of mind to check the score. When I did, it was thrilling. A close, hard-fought game with some pretty impressive highlights (check out Austin Burgett’s brutal block on Jabari Parker in the slideshow) and it was a nail-biter till the end. When the final buzzer sounded I got to capture a joyous celebration on the court.
I hope you enjoy my first basketball slideshow. It’s fun to look back on, and hopefully it won’t be the last time I get a chance to shoot a great game like this one. Thanks to Mike Frank for the opportunity, and maybe you’ll see me wandering around another game sometime with too many cameras and a big grin.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @IrishCoachIvey: Im so GRATEFUL to work for @MuffetMcGraw and represent this AMAZING University! So proud to coach at my Alma Mater! Eve… 13 hours ago
- #IrishintheWNBA on ESPN2 tonight at 8 ET as @kaymac_2123 & @SAStars host CHI; also at 8, @SkyDigg4 & @TulsaShock host SEA (@WNBA LiveAccess) 14 hours ago
- Reminder to our current season ticket holders that renewal forms were mailed last week. Due date for renewals is Aug 8th! 💚🍀 #faithfulfans 15 hours ago
- RT @TheRealKoko50: I miss my teammates... A little bit! 1 day ago
- PRO READY (featuring @SkyDigg4). #IrishintheWNBA http://t.co/rvJsOB5tVX 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- You knew @NDMikeBrey threw out the @Silver_Hawks 1st pitch, but did you know @GrantEl10 (Catcher) wore @googleglass? youtu.be/J4akkGeyd5w 7 hours ago
- Coach takes some time to sign some autographs after throwing out the 1st pitch at the @Silver_Hawks game. #MB1stPitch http://t.co/I6HTtCHl17 12 hours ago
- Coach takes a quick second to talk to @Silver_Hawks Manager Mark Haley after tossing out the 1st pitch. #MB1stPitch http://t.co/Orv4dewkY8 12 hours ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: Coach Brey tosses a bullet down the center (on his 2nd attempt) at the @SilverHawks game tonight. #MB1stPitch https://… 12 hours ago
- Coach Brey takes a quick photo with @GrantEl10 before tossing the first pitch tonight at the @Silver_Hawks game. http://t.co/khF19rrBug 12 hours ago
- Baseball. HitTrax Technology Takes Irish Into Next Level Of Player Evaluation
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowers Win Two Gold Medals At World Under 23 Championships
- Football. Irish Will Open Training Camp At Culver Academies
- M. Golf. Three Irish Golfers Named Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholars