Feb 22, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Mike Franz, the official 2013-14 men’s basketball beat writer for the In The Paint blog, is currently a sophomore at Holy Cross College. Over the course of the year Mike will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Mike (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBlogger.
Mike Brey’s squad took on the Virginia Cavaliers Saturday afternoon for an ACC showdown. The last time the two faced off, Virginia pulled away early to secure an easy win over the Irish. If you look at the box score you would certainly concur that the same happened on Saturday in Charlottesville as the Irish lost to Virginia, 70-49. However surprising as it may be, Notre Dame played Virginia close throughout the first thirty minutes and appeared as though they were in perfect position to get the upset win over the 14th-ranked Cavaliers.
At the end of the first half the score was tied at 30 and Pat Connaughton was having another great day on the court, shooting 60 percent from the field with eight points and two rebounds. As the second half began, Notre Dame was in a shooting “duel” with the Cavaliers, matching one another shot for shot. Nobody seemed like they could pull away from the other. That is until the 9:19 mark in the second half.
Up until then, Virginia led the Irish by just three, 46-43. Notre Dame had the ball and Zach Auguste went up for what appeared to be an easy dunk. Unfortunately, those two points would be denied as Justin Anderson of Virginia came from behind and swatted the ball away. Virginia proceeded to run the length of the court and convert a slam dunk of their own, invigorating the Virginia faithful in attendance.
In basketball, one play can change the outcome of the game completely. Don’t believe me? After Anderson blocked Auguste’s shot, the Cavaliers went on a 22-0 run. Throughout that run, Notre Dame missed seven shots from the field and two free throw attempts.
It is obvious that the Anderson block was absolutely demoralizing for the Irish. Mike Brey agreed: “That’s how fragile a game can be – because for about 30 minutes, I really liked what we were doing.” He continued, “Then we get the dunk blocked and they dunked on the other end and the whole ceiling caved in.”
It is a shame the Irish could not pull this one out. The team was really playing well together up until that game-changing point. The noise of the crowd and the momentum were totally in Virginia’s corner after that.
This was not the way Notre Dame wanted to end their road trip. Nonetheless, the Irish have a chance to improve their overall & conference record once again on Wednesday night as they take on Georgia Tech at home. Tip off is scheduled for 7:00 PM and the game can be seen on ESPN2.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:19 | May 2, 2013
- RT @GoIrishCoachO: Great Job @ruthriley00 for your inspiring words at the Food Bank of Northern Indiana!!! Proud of you!💚 21 hours ago
- A very proud and close #NDFamily! #coaches #players #teammates WE ARE...ND 🍀🏀🍀 http://t.co/KOR7fi5rqv 21 hours ago
- So proud of the efforts made by @ruthriley00 on and off the court. Today, she is the keynote speaker… instagram.com/p/m5gYO2vFDB/ 22 hours ago
- It's a pleasure to be invited and recognized at the @FoodBkNIndiana's annual luncheon! 23 hours ago
- #tbt to Easter 2013 at NCAA Regionals- Norfolk... quality family time! #eggcoloring http://t.co/mXpJMooJwJ 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- .@gsherm11's squad bests @EAtkins0 team at Portsmouth Invitational with 92-91 win...EA has 9 pts and 10 asts., while Sherm nets 19 pts. 17 hours ago
- .@EAtkins0 and @gsherm11 square off against each other today at 3:15. Follow all the action at: tinyurl.com/cobtza7 1 day ago
- .@EAtkins0 played 30 minutes for K&D Rounds Landscaping and had 5 its, 5 asts. and 3 st.s for his K&D Rounds Landscaping in 71-66 loss. 1 day ago
- From the Portsmouth Invitational last night ... @gsherm11 led his Portsmouth Sports Club team with 19 points and 11 rebounds in 77-74 loss. 1 day ago
- Action gets underway this evening for @EAtkins0 and @gsherm11 at Portsouth Invitational ...Follow all the action at: tinyurl.com/cobtza7 1 day ago
- Track. Men Finish Day One Of ACCs In Fourth, Women In Tenth
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Make First Appearance At Virginia This Weekend
- W. Golf. Notre Dame Tied For Fifth Following First Day Of ACC Women's Golf Championship
- M. Lacrosse. Fighting Irish Await Tough Test From The Terps
- Fencing. Three NCAA Champions In Three Days: A Landmark Weekend in the History of Notre Dame Athletics