Feb 22, 2014, 11:25 PM EST
Mike Franz, the official 2013-14 men’s basketball beat writer for the In The Paint blog, is currently a sophomore at Holy Cross College. Over the course of the year Mike will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Mike (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBlogger.
Mike Brey’s squad took on the Virginia Cavaliers Saturday afternoon for an ACC showdown. The last time the two faced off, Virginia pulled away early to secure an easy win over the Irish. If you look at the box score you would certainly concur that the same happened on Saturday in Charlottesville as the Irish lost to Virginia, 70-49. However surprising as it may be, Notre Dame played Virginia close throughout the first thirty minutes and appeared as though they were in perfect position to get the upset win over the 14th-ranked Cavaliers.
At the end of the first half the score was tied at 30 and Pat Connaughton was having another great day on the court, shooting 60 percent from the field with eight points and two rebounds. As the second half began, Notre Dame was in a shooting “duel” with the Cavaliers, matching one another shot for shot. Nobody seemed like they could pull away from the other. That is until the 9:19 mark in the second half.
Up until then, Virginia led the Irish by just three, 46-43. Notre Dame had the ball and Zach Auguste went up for what appeared to be an easy dunk. Unfortunately, those two points would be denied as Justin Anderson of Virginia came from behind and swatted the ball away. Virginia proceeded to run the length of the court and convert a slam dunk of their own, invigorating the Virginia faithful in attendance.
In basketball, one play can change the outcome of the game completely. Don’t believe me? After Anderson blocked Auguste’s shot, the Cavaliers went on a 22-0 run. Throughout that run, Notre Dame missed seven shots from the field and two free throw attempts.
It is obvious that the Anderson block was absolutely demoralizing for the Irish. Mike Brey agreed: “That’s how fragile a game can be – because for about 30 minutes, I really liked what we were doing.” He continued, “Then we get the dunk blocked and they dunked on the other end and the whole ceiling caved in.”
It is a shame the Irish could not pull this one out. The team was really playing well together up until that game-changing point. The noise of the crowd and the momentum were totally in Virginia’s corner after that.
This was not the way Notre Dame wanted to end their road trip. Nonetheless, the Irish have a chance to improve their overall & conference record once again on Wednesday night as they take on Georgia Tech at home. Tip off is scheduled for 7:00 PM and the game can be seen on ESPN2.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- With exams ending today we switch back to basketball mode & prepare for St. Joseph's on Sunday! Remember to bring teddy bears to toss! 🐻🍀 14 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: .@ndwbb returns from final exam break Sunday at 1 pm (ET), playing host to Saint Joseph's (live on @WatchND): http://t.co… 14 hours ago
- 3 days until our last game before the holiday break, 7 days until Christmas, and 15 days until our ACC opener! #GoIrish 1 day ago
- Don't forget: Sunday's game vs. St Joseph's will be the 10th annual #ndwbb Teddy Bear Toss! Bring your stuffed animals to toss at halftime! 2 days ago
- Happy Birthday to senior guard, @mcable22! Enjoy your day! 😃💚🎉🎈🎁 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- INDIANA BORN. IRISH EDUCATED. We return to Indy on Saturday w/our 5 student-athletes from Indiana to play Purdue. http://t.co/ns0YqnD6Ju 12 hours ago
- Our team is so photogenic ... #DunksDuLac #ComesToIndy http://t.co/EgD5Sr6y7T 14 hours ago
- The @NDSportsBlogger sat down with our radio play-by-play man @NDJackNolan to talk all things @NDmbb. LISTEN: fightingirish.tumblr.com/post/105609602… 20 hours ago
- RT @NDJackNolan: Thanks to @Austin_Burgett for doing a great job on @NDMikeBrey radio show. We are back at O'Rourke's in 2 weeks. http://t.… 1 day ago
- Want great food and to talk a little ND Hoops? Come out to O'Rourke's tonight at 7pm for the Mike Brey Radio Show w/guest Austin Burgett. 1 day ago
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Football Makes a Holiday Contribution
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame-Hartford Men's Basketball Game On Dec. 30 Moved To 7:30 pm (ET) Start Time
- W. Basketball. #5/4 Irish Play Host To Saint Joseph's Sunday Afternoon
- General News. Spreading Christmas Joy
- General News. Former Notre Dame Sports Medicine Pioneer Dr. Les Bodnar Dies