Feb 10, 2014, 12:07 PM EST
Mike Franz, the official 2013-14 men’s basketball beat writer for the In The Paint blog, is currently a sophomore at Holy Cross College. Over the course of the year Mike will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Mike (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBlogger.
Notre Dame played North Carolina on Saturday afternoon at Purcell Pavilion. Despite going into halftime only down by four, turnovers and lack of defensive rebounds caused the Irish to drop yet another game with a 73-62 loss. As the old saying goes, “There is a silver lining in everything.” Although it did not seem like there was one in this disappointing loss, I found one in V.J. Beachem.
Beachem came to Notre Dame with high promise. As the first member of the 2013-2014 Notre Dame freshmen class to commit, Beachem came to the Irish having scored 1,531 career points in high school. Beachem is, in Mike Brey’s words, “a shot maker”; however, earlier this year he was not doing much shooting.
In the 24 games the Irish have played so far on their schedule, Beachem played in 19 of those games. In the first 16 of those 19 games, Beachem scored a combined 16 points.
I was a fan of Beachem going into this season, but after the Virginia game, even I was starting to doubt his ability to play in college. Yet the next three games he “flipped the script” and proved why he deserves to have a spot on this team. The Boston College game was Beachem’s coming out party. In that back and forth contest, Beachem made clutch shot after clutch shot in order to keep the win within reach. Beachem ended that game shooting 50 percent from the field and had his career high in minutes played (20) and points (10).
The next game the Irish battled #1 ranked Syracuse. Even though Beachem only played four minutes that game with just two points scored, he played tremendous defense when out on the court and helped to keep the Irish in the game.
Saturday, Beachem surprisingly did not play at all in the first half. After the game, Brey commented on that and realized he should have been in there. “I should have got him in during the first half,” Brey stated. “That’s my mistake – he should’ve been in the first half.”
Brey went with saying, “I talked to him at half time and I said you’re going in; be ready.”
In the second half Beachem was ready and stepped up in a big way. In just 14 minutes, he scored 10 points. As a matter of fact, besides Demetrius Jackson’s last second layup, Beachem was the only bench player to score against the Tar Heels.
Beachem finished the day shooting 57.1 percent from the field which included a three pointer. He also made his only free throw attempt to finish up a three point play. In addition to this, Beachem also hauled in an offensive rebound.
Is Beachem an All American by any means? No yet. But he is someone who can come off of the bench and produce points which has been hard to come by for the Irish this year. Beachem still needs work as he is a freshman and will make a “stupid” turnover every now and then, but with enough practice and sufficient playing minutes, I think V.J. Beachem can be an up and coming star for the Irish squad in future years.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Happy Thanksgiving from the #NDWBB family! Have a safe and blessed holiday everyone. 🍀🍀🍀💚 1 hour ago
- RT @NDIrishEyes: It was great to see student-athletes with their Fight For Life teammates at yesterday's @ndwbb game! http://t.co/MP5dSiGwC2 14 hours ago
- Because @NotreDame is the greatest place on earth. Happy 172nd Birthday from Women's Basketball! #NDFamily #NDNation http://t.co/IXJfKbL31L 18 hours ago
- Good luck to @NDmbb as they take on Grambling State tonight at 7pm! If you can't make it, the game will also be on @ESPN3. #GoIrish 18 hours ago
- Be sure to follow us on Instagram too! Search "ndwbb" for picture and video updates. #stayconnected #NDWBB 19 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Get some Turkey on Thursday and then come to Purcell Pavilion Saturday at 1pm (NEW TIME) as we play Chicago St. TIX: UND.com/BuyTickets 13 hours ago
- INFOGRAPHIC: DJ (@D_Jay24) leads us in scoring while we once again shoot over 60% from the floor. #Together http://t.co/6wIUmN3Vx1 13 hours ago
- ND 81 - GSU 54 FINAL ND improves to 5-1 with win - Next game on Saturday vs. Chicago State. Game Stats: http://t.co/RMvP42cZ61 13 hours ago
- QUICK HIGHLIGHTS ND 81 - GSU 54 FINAL #Together instagram.com/p/v4qL7wwiYP/ 13 hours ago
- EK (@E_Money_Katenda) with a career-high after hitting a little jumper off of the offensive rebound. ND 79 - GSU 54 1:00 2H 14 hours ago