Dec 20, 2013, 2:58 PM EST
Rachel Murphy, the official 2013-14 women’s basketball beat writer for the In The Paint blog, is currently a sophomore at St. Mary’s College. Over the course of the year Rachel will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Rachel (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
I recently caught up with Notre Dame Women’s basketball freshman Kristina Nelson. The 6’3’’ forward, wearing number five for the Irish this year, answered some questions about life and basketball.
When did you start playing basketball? When I was nine
If you didn’t play basketball, what sport would you play? Probably like softball… I love to watch!
Who is your personal hero? My mom. She works really hard and is an overall great person.
Why did you choose Notre Dame? I chose Notre Dame because of the great academics and success in athletics, but also because of the aspect of family that is a big part of our team.
Who is the most entertaining teammate? Ariel Braker. The things she does are unbelievable and hilarious!
Do you have any pre-game rituals? Nope!
What is your favorite Disney Movie? Lion King
What is your favorite food? Anything except for eggs!
Besides basketball, do you have any hobbies? Shopping!
What is your favorite TV show? Keeping up with the Kardashians!
What is your dream vacation? The Dominican Republic or Greece
If you could have a superpower, what would you want it to be? To read minds! I like to know what people are thinking!
Who is your celebrity crush? Shemar Moore from Criminal Minds
Chocolate or Vanilla? Vanilla
Cats or Dogs? Dogs
When she isn’t shopping or watching Keeping up with the Kardashians, she is working to earn her place on the strong Irish team. Playing in eight games so far this season, Nelson is averaging 3.4 points per game, not bad for a freshman, huh?
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NCAAWomensBKB: .@NDWbb holds first Diabetes Awareness Day to help support one of their own: on.ncaa.com/1BQE4wy #DiabetesMonth 2 hours ago
- RT @NDmbb: Watch the Strong & True story of Katie Schwab, the @NDwbb Operations Specialist. One of the great people at ND. LINK:http://t.c… 5 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: The story of @ndwbb ops specialist Katie Schwab (’13 SMC, manager). Keep fighting, Katie! watchnd.tv/#!/videos/82dj… #StrongAn… 5 hours ago
- Today is #ndwbb Diabetes Awareness Day in support of our ailing colleague @kesmc13: und.com/sports/w-baskb… 5 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: .@ndwbb faces Holy Cross in Hall of Fame Women's Challenge opener Sunday at 5 p.m. (ET) - live on @WatchND/@pulsefm: http… 22 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: Watching the UMass/FSU game with @NDmbb before the Championship Game at 2:30 vs PC on ESPN2 http://t.co/bXjq8dyVZv 44 minutes ago
- Just over an hour until tip! Our locker room is ready to go thanks to our great managers. NDvsPC 2:30pm • ESPN2 http://t.co/KfKpVyfBb4 1 hour ago
- CAN'T HOLD US. ND vs PC 2:30pm • ESPN2 #Together http://t.co/cqM4OtKUkL 1 hour ago
- RT @SethOnHoops: Providence @NDmbb an old fashioned Big East throw down. Both teams play with confidence offensively. 2 hours ago
- Our pals at @NDMenSoccer kick off their @NCAA Title defense at 7pm Sunday vs OSU Get pumped with this @NDfidm video: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/4yeX… 5 hours ago
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Loss to Louisville Can't Diminish Irish Ties
- M. Basketball. A Battle of Unbeatens As Notre Dame Meets Providence In Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament
- Fencing. Notre Dame Finishes Day One of Penn State Open With Three Medalists
- Football. Notre Dame Football vs. Louisville Postgame Quotes
- Football. Notre Dame vs. Louisville- Postgame Notes