Dec 20, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
Rachel Murphy, the official 2013-14 women’s basketball beat writer for the In The Paint blog, is currently a sophomore at St. Mary’s College. Over the course of the year Rachel will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Rachel (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
I recently caught up with Notre Dame Women’s basketball freshman Kristina Nelson. The 6’3’’ forward, wearing number five for the Irish this year, answered some questions about life and basketball.
When did you start playing basketball? When I was nine
If you didn’t play basketball, what sport would you play? Probably like softball… I love to watch!
Who is your personal hero? My mom. She works really hard and is an overall great person.
Why did you choose Notre Dame? I chose Notre Dame because of the great academics and success in athletics, but also because of the aspect of family that is a big part of our team.
Who is the most entertaining teammate? Ariel Braker. The things she does are unbelievable and hilarious!
Do you have any pre-game rituals? Nope!
What is your favorite Disney Movie? Lion King
What is your favorite food? Anything except for eggs!
Besides basketball, do you have any hobbies? Shopping!
What is your favorite TV show? Keeping up with the Kardashians!
What is your dream vacation? The Dominican Republic or Greece
If you could have a superpower, what would you want it to be? To read minds! I like to know what people are thinking!
Who is your celebrity crush? Shemar Moore from Criminal Minds
Chocolate or Vanilla? Vanilla
Cats or Dogs? Dogs
When she isn’t shopping or watching Keeping up with the Kardashians, she is working to earn her place on the strong Irish team. Playing in eight games so far this season, Nelson is averaging 3.4 points per game, not bad for a freshman, huh?
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: Everything you need to know about this weekend's activities- gameday.nd.edu Make sure you follow @GameDayND for… 9 hours ago
- #TransformationTuesday... From the NCAA Regional floor to a replica of our arena... The Pit looks great! 🔨🔧🍀🏀 http://t.co/rhDl8K67eP 15 hours ago
- RT @NotreDame: Rise and shine! It's the first day of classes of the fall semester! http://t.co/jt8A4XSB4X 19 hours ago
- Good luck to our #ndwbb players & all Notre Dame students as they begin their first day of fall classes! 🍀💚 20 hours ago
- RT @NDCoachCheek: 1st pre-season lift @ndwbb. Let's start a fire. 20 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDMenSoccer: .@MarylandMSoccer #ALSIceBucketChallenge accepted! Chad Riley ’04 (@NDMonogram) & @DartmouthMSoc you’re on the clock! http… 5 days ago
- Help us defend home court against the likes of 'Cuse & Michigan State! SEASON TICKET RENEWALS/PURCHASES: ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme… #Together 5 days ago
- ICYMI: Coach Brey challenged Coach Digger Phelps to the #IceBucketChallenge. It didn't take Digger long to respond: youtu.be/XAPlqFSFtd4 1 week ago
- ICYMI: Coach Brey challenged @McCormickCSC, @D_Jay24 & Digger Phelps to the #IceBucketChallenge. #FRATES WATCH: youtube.com/watch?v=892xkS… 1 week ago
- RT @cbfowler: @NDmbb @JayBilas @ESPN_ReceDavis Digger squealed like an 8-year old! But good work. I have already been doused once last week! 1 week ago
- W. Volleyball. The Opening Serve: Houser Named Preseason All-ACC
- Football. Notre Dame Offering Smartphone Upgrades For 2014 Fighting Irish Football Campaign
- Football. Notre Dame Vs. Rice Game Notes
- Football. Coach Kelly Press Conference Transcript
- Cross Country. University of Notre Dame Adds Matt Sparks As Associate Head Coach for Track and Field/Cross Country