Dec 10, 2013, 9:09 AM EDT
Mike Franz, the official 2013-14 men’s basketball beat writer for the In The Paint blog, is currently a sophomore at Holy Cross College. Over the course of the year Mike will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Mike (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
Notre Dame played their second regional round game in the Gotham Classic against Bryant University Monday night at Purcell Pavilion. Although Bryant made a couple runs here and there, the Irish remained focused and never gave up the lead in the second half, beating the Bulldogs 70-59 in front of 7,300 fans.
The leading scorers for the Irish squad included Jerian Grant, Pat Connaughton and Garrick Sherman scoring 23, 17 and 14 points respectively. One Irish player who is usually a leading scorer for the team who has not been the past two games is senior Eric Atkins.
The Maryland native scored three points on Monday and two points in the Delaware game on Saturday. This is very strange territory for the veteran point guard as he has been averaging 13.6 points a game. A dry spell is a part of basketball and every player goes through it – that is why you have teammates to pick up the slack and score buckets when you are struggling. Atkins has great teammates, which helped the Irish to victory tonight.
Although Atkins is struggling shooting the ball, he is playing very well in other aspects of the game. He racked up six total rebounds tonight and four assists in the team’s victory. As usual, Atkins was the team’s facilitator tonight.
This year players will have to understand their role during each game. Atkins understood tonight that he was being double teamed by Bryant players so he got his boards and passed the ball off to his open teammates for the good looks at the basket.
Three Notes I Made During The Game
1) Bryant Represents Australia Pride - The Bryant Bulldogs have four Australian players on their roster this year. When I heard all the Australian accents on the court I wanted to yell “Crikey!!!” in honor of the late Steve Irwin.
2) Costly Turnovers - Although Notre Dame held onto their lead in the second half, their lead kept dwindling because of a lot turnovers by veteran leaders like Sherman and Grant. The way the team was making these turnovers was extremely sloppy. To a point it almost looked like the Notre Dame players were trying to pass the ball to Bryant. This falls directly on communication; something the team will have to do much better going into the second half of their schedule.
3) Free Throws = Gold - Tonight the Irish shot 28 free throws and made 21 of them. This year, when the Irish shoot more free throws than their opponent they are undefeated. Shooting 75% from the line helped the Irish keep the Bulldogs at bay and improved the team’s record to 7-2.
Notre Dame has an off day on Tuesday and then play their final regional round game of the Gotham Classic against North Dakota State at 7:00 PM in Purcell Pavilion on Wednesday. This will be their fourth game in 11 days. Notre Dame needs every fan’s support during this tough stretch. And if you need another reason to go to the game on Wednesday evening, I have it on very good authority that one Digger Phelps, will be dressing up as Mother Ginger and performing a piece from the Nutcracker ballet during halftime.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:19 | May 2, 2013
- Coach McGraw also recognized by head coaching peers at @theACC as #ACCWBB COACH OF THE YEAR! Leader..Mentor..Coach 🍀🍀 http://t.co/LlZE7Xv6PM 8 hours ago
- A well-deserved recognition of @kaymac_2123 by the @accwbb head coaches naming her #ACCPOY! We are so proud of you! http://t.co/9ldKbYEBK5 9 hours ago
- See what Coach McGraw, @jloyd32, and @kaymac_2123 had to say in Sunday's postgame presser after the ACC Championship bit.ly/1oHtQ5Y 10 hours ago
- "LIKE" Notre Dame Women's Basketball on Facebook&flip thru the ACC Tournament album feat. photos by Michael Bennett of Lighthouse Imaging. 12 hours ago
- Great article by the @accwbb on #ACCWBB Head Coaches Honor Coach McGraw and @kaymac_2123 #IrishInTheACC theacc.co/WBB14ind-coach… 14 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- Who is taking a 1pm (ET) lunch break (late breakfast out West) tomorrow to watch us in our first ACC Tournament? #Together #FiveInFive 6 hours ago
- .@NDMikeBrey signing autographs for some young fans after practice. #ACCTourney http://t.co/uHF25Vywer 9 hours ago
- The Irish are on the floor at the Greensboro Coliseum! http://t.co/uLourW1R3w 10 hours ago
- Quick practice at Greensboro Day and now headed to the Coliseum. #ACCTourney #GoIrish http://t.co/0Lpb49RX6b 10 hours ago
- RT @lchval: My senior feature on @NDmbb's @EAtkins0 is up! A great player, but an even more inspiring person. und.com/sports/m-baskb… 11 hours ago
- Baseball. Déjà Vu In Boone: Irish Rally In Ninth, Win In Extras Against App State
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Sweeps College Of Charleston On The Road
- M. Golf. Irish Battle to Seventh Place Result At San Diego Classic
- W. Lacrosse. No. 7/6 Women's Lacrosse Beats Richmond, 13-6
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato Named Brine Player of the Week