Nov 15, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
When the Sycamores of Indiana State take the Purcell Pavilion floor this Sunday against the Irish, it will not be your normal early-season contest. Coming off one of the better seasons in recent school history, the Sycamores look to continue the trend of knocking off high-level opponents.
Last year, the Sycamores played 10 games against NCAA Tournament bound teams, winning five of those contests. Aside from defeating regional two-seed Miami (Fla.), Indiana State also downed Final Four participant Wichita State, Creighton, Ole Miss and Iona.
JAN. 6, 2013 INDIANA STATE HIGHLIGHTS VS. CREIGHTON
Unlike the steady play of the Irish, the Sycamores tend to be an up-and-down team, playing to the level of their opponent on many occasions. They do have one constant throughout every game they play, Terre Haute’s (Ind.) own, Jake Odum.
Odum, a first-team all-Missouri Valley honoree, is just the 35th player in school history to reach the 1,000-point plateau. A strong, heady ball handler, Odum will be a great early-season challenge for Notre Dame guard Eric Atkins. Just don’t be surprised to see Pat Connaughton check Odum at times due to his larger frame and strong ability to keep guys out of the lane.
ODUM’S GAME-WINNING SHOT VS. MIAMI (FLA.)
Along with Odum, the Sycamores boast another talented backcourt player in Manny Arop. A transfer from Gonzaga, this will be Arop’s second game on the Purcell Pavilion court. When Gonzaga visited in 2010, Arop scored a then career-high 16 points in an Irish win. The key with Arop is to not let him get going, his confidence grows exponentially if he gets off to a hot start.
Let’s quickly turn to the Irish.
To come out of Sunday’s game with a win over Indiana State, the Irish need to do three things well – defensive rebounding, keep Odum out of the lane and limit their turnovers.
If the Irish are able to do those three things, then it will be tough for Notre Dame to come out of Sunday with a loss.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:19 | May 2, 2013
- We are @ProudtobeND ... are you? #NDday sot.ag/2CyzW/ 2 hours ago
- RT if you're @ProudtobeND! #NDFamily @TNNDN #NDday 4 hours ago
- .@ruthriley00 will be LIVE on @WatchND in 3 days for #NDday! Sign up sot.ag/2CyzW/ or visit notredameday.nd.edu for more! 5 hours ago
- Wonder what the #trio is thinking? Get inside their heads: #EarlKmacAce bit.ly/1hqrUyN bit.ly/1nsqIP8 bit.ly/RPkrQN 6 hours ago
- RT @ndwbbsid: .@ndwbb #tbt w/ @IrishCoachIvey, 1 of hardest-working assistants in nation (did we mention she's an amazing mom too?) http://… 6 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- One of the truly cool events at Notre Dame is Notre Dame Day ... What is #NDday you ask? sot.ag/2Df5S/ 9 hours ago
- "When it comes to battling the obesity epidemic, nutrition is the key" #TipOffForHeart @AHA_Michiana http://t.co/kl6TXiMLoR 1 day ago
- Strength guru Tony Rolinski revealing the right way to strength train to prevent injury #TipOffForHeart @AHA_Michiana http://t.co/OoBPdiMXi1 1 day ago
- Local doctors revealing the importance of exercise & the correct CPR manuever w/help from @kenjeong #TipOffForHeart http://t.co/JN5EAdI0Xq 1 day ago
- From player to coach, @EAtkins0 revealing the keys to the perfect jump shot #TipOffForHeart @AHA_Michiana http://t.co/3BuNBtWAgN 1 day ago