Nov 1, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
The Notre Dame Women’s Basketball team tipped off the season with Wednesday night’s exhibition game against California University of Pennsylvania. In typical fashion, Purcell Pavilion was filled to the rafters as the Irish took down the Vulcans in a 118-49 victory.
As if the score isn’t telling enough, the Irish were dominant to say the least. All players in uniform Wednesday night not only saw action, but scored as well. The absence of seniors Natalie Anchowa, Ariel Braker and Kayla McBride didn’t faze the Irish, as the rest of the team put their talent on display in the 69-point victory.
Veteran guard, Jewell Loyd picked up right where she left off last season. Not only playing well, but also establishing herself as a leader of the young Irish team. Loyd was praised by the home crowd (who roared at the mere mention of her name), as well as by coach Muffet McGraw.
“I thought Jewell played really well,” said McGraw, “She attacked the basket more.”
Attack the basket she did, scoring 27 points in the victory. Fellow veterans Michaela Mabrey (with 15 points) and Markisha Wright (with 16 points) performed just as expected. The sophomore and junior remained the consistent playmakers they were last season. Along with boosting the score, the vets provided advice and direction to the freshman, showing them the ropes while allowing them to find their rhythm.
Wednesday night’s show was most definitely stolen by the freshman foursome. Lindsay Allen, Taya Reimer, Diamond Thompson, and Kristina Nelson started their Notre Dame careers strong, combining for 49 of the night’s 118 points. Nelson and Thompson, although showing promise, struggled to find their rhythm, scoring 9 points between the two. This however, was not the case for Allen or Reimer who combined for a total of 40 points.
Guard Lindsay Allen proved to be the real deal, shaking off the nerves (if there even were any), and within minutes looking like a natural. Composed and focused, Allen raked up 13 points while managing only one turnover. Coach McGraw sung her praises as well.
“I was really pleased with Lindsay Allen. She ran the team well.”
A large part of the team’s success came from leading scorer, Taya Reimer. In her first game for the Irish Reimer put up 27 points, getting off to a near perfect start on offense. The 6-3 forward made her presence known on both sides of the ball, playing physically, and just plain shooting well.
Despite the impressive offensive effort, the team struggled on the other side of the ball.
“I was very disappointed in our defense,” remarked McGraw, “I was very disappointed with everyone on defense.”
However, despite any defensive struggles, it is safe to say that the season ahead looks promising for the Irish. With veterans leading the way, and fresh faces in the mix, the team looks poised for yet another outstanding season.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Make it 25 TV games this season!!! Our Dec. 28 game at UCLA will now be televised on Pac-12 Networks!!! 🍀🎥😎 6 hours ago
- RT @CoachKerryCooks: @ndwbb love it! 12 hours ago
- Check out the new artwork in our office - we added 2014 to our Final Four mural! 6 Final Fours (and counting)! http://t.co/b2PpUgDmgg 14 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: #FightingIrish Instagram accounts @NDLacrosse = ndlacrosse @NDwbb = ndwbb @NDwomensGolf = ndwomensgolf ... 15 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: In spite of circumstances, we're incredibly proud of @ndwbb alums @SkyDigg4 and @kaymac_2123 who will no doubt represent … 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Coach Brey took in the @NASCAR race at @ChicagolndSpdwy with 1990 alum @Scott_Paddock - relive the day. CLICK: fightingirish.tumblr.com/post/977318931… 🏁🍀🏀 5 days ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: We’ll be on North & South Quad today from 11am-1pm signing @LepLegion teams up for our @GrassrootSoccer Lose the Shoes tou… 5 days ago
- Get to know one of our new frosh's - Matt Farrell (@MattyFarr3) - CLICK HERE: fightingirish.tumblr.com/post/976471937… 🍀🏀🍀 6 days ago
- RT @NASCAR47: .@NotreDame Men's Basketball coach @NDMikeBrey visits with @AJDinger in the #47 hauler. #DINGERNATION http://t.co/q0X4m5WlZc 1 week ago
- RT @TheMikeBagley: Hanging with Notre Dame Men's BBall Coach Mike Brey in the @ChicagolndSpdwy Cup Garage http://t.co/lZL4pibcDQ 1 week ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Picked To Finish Third In Hockey East Preseason Coaches' Poll
- M. Golf. Irish Close With 11th Place Finish At Windon Memorial Classic
- M. Soccer. Irish Insight: Road Swing Ends With Four Points In ACC Play
- M. Golf. Irish Move Up To Sixth Place After Solid Round Two At Windon Memorial
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Knocks Off No. 6 Jared Hiltzik Sunday In Illinois