Oct 19, 2013, 1:31 AM EST
Mike Franz, the official 2013-14 men’s basketball beat writer for the In The Paint blog, is currently a sophomore at Holy Cross College. Over the course of the year Mike will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Mike (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
This week I bring you some unfortunate news about sophomore forward, Zach Auguste. It was confirmed Wednesday that the 6’10″ big man has suffered a broken left hand and will be out anywhere from four to six weeks.
On October 10th, he suffered what appeared to be a bad fracture to his hand. However, after x-rays were made of his hand, it was identified as a complete break.
“This is really unfortunate for Zach that he suffered this injury because he had such a great summer and preseason for us,” Coach Brey said.
Zach Auguste will appear to miss both exhibition games against Indianapolis, on October 28, and Tusculum, on November 1. Although this is an unfortunate injury and all Notre Dame fans wish Zach a speedy and healthy recovery, it is a blessing he had this injury early and not in the heart of the difficult schedule.
Missing what appears to be, in worst case scenario, the first five regular season games, Notre Dame will get their big man back just in time for the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on December 3. Being able to be that big presence underneath and crashing the boards (basically taking Jack Cooley’s job) is what Irish fans, players and coaches expect out of Auguste this upcoming season.
Coach Brey knows what Zach means to this team and that he can help this team play some of its best basketball this program has seen in years.
“Zach is going to be a key for us on the frontline this season. I love the energy and passion he has brought to practice,” Brey stated. “Zach knows and understands that he’s a big piece of the puzzle for us this year and that we are counting on him at both ends of the floor.”
As a freshman, Auguste played in 25 games for the Irish, averaging 3.7 points a game. However, he shined when given more playing time in games, as shown in the Marquette game on March 2nd. Auguste played 21 minutes and scored a career high 15 points.
Fans should expect great things from him this upcoming season once he comes back from this injury. Brey said, “Since the end of last season, he’s been really focused on improving all aspects of his game and he’s really matured.”
This new found maturity is what he will needs as he wills his fellow players onto victory in these early games. As the old expression goes, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” And Irish faithful should expect this to be the case with Auguste.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:20 | May 2, 2013
- Final score- ND 90 UCLA 48 1 day ago
- RT @ndwbbsid: Last media timeout of 2nd half (3:05) as @ndwbb leads UCLA 83-43 … Cable career-high 21 pts (7-7 FG, 5-5 3FG) 1 day ago
- If only you could retweet yourself... @mcable22 with TWO more threeeeees!🍀🏀 1 day ago
- RT @ndwbbsid: Second media timeout of 2nd half (11:04) with @ndwbb leading UCLA 62-31 … McBride 12 pts/6 asst/5 rebs, Mabrey 6 asst, ND 26-… 1 day ago
- And we're back!!!! It's one minute into the second half and we have a score of 46-20!🍀🏀 #IrishBasketball 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- BlackRock Gotham Classic continues for Irish as ND hosts Bryant on Monday night (12/9) at 7 pm: tinyurl.com/lgntaa7 8 hours ago
- .@EAtkins0 improved his career assist-to-turnover ratio to 2.44 as he dished off six assists with turning the ball over vs. Delaware. 1 day ago
- .@PlanePat24 notched his second double-double of the season vs. Blue Hens ... His 21 pts. and 11 rebs. were both season highs 1 day ago
- .@ThatGrant22 25 pts. against Delaware marked the fourth time this season has scored 20-plus points and 12th time in his career 1 day ago
- End of presser. Irish host Bryant at 7 p.m. Monday. 1 day ago
- Football. Brian Kelly Pinstripe Bowl Announcement Press Conference Transcript
- M. Swimming. More Records Left In Irish Wake On Day Two Of Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish College Cup Bound For The First Time
- M. Ice Hockey. Late Massachusetts Goal Sends Irish To Defeat, 3-2
- W. Swimming. Irish Extend Lead With Solid Saturday At Hawkeye Invitational