Oct 19, 2013, 1:31 AM EST
Mike Franz, the official 2013-14 men’s basketball beat writer for the In The Paint blog, is currently a sophomore at Holy Cross College. Over the course of the year Mike will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Mike (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
This week I bring you some unfortunate news about sophomore forward, Zach Auguste. It was confirmed Wednesday that the 6’10” big man has suffered a broken left hand and will be out anywhere from four to six weeks.
On October 10th, he suffered what appeared to be a bad fracture to his hand. However, after x-rays were made of his hand, it was identified as a complete break.
“This is really unfortunate for Zach that he suffered this injury because he had such a great summer and preseason for us,” Coach Brey said.
Zach Auguste will appear to miss both exhibition games against Indianapolis, on October 28, and Tusculum, on November 1. Although this is an unfortunate injury and all Notre Dame fans wish Zach a speedy and healthy recovery, it is a blessing he had this injury early and not in the heart of the difficult schedule.
Missing what appears to be, in worst case scenario, the first five regular season games, Notre Dame will get their big man back just in time for the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on December 3. Being able to be that big presence underneath and crashing the boards (basically taking Jack Cooley’s job) is what Irish fans, players and coaches expect out of Auguste this upcoming season.
Coach Brey knows what Zach means to this team and that he can help this team play some of its best basketball this program has seen in years.
“Zach is going to be a key for us on the frontline this season. I love the energy and passion he has brought to practice,” Brey stated. “Zach knows and understands that he’s a big piece of the puzzle for us this year and that we are counting on him at both ends of the floor.”
As a freshman, Auguste played in 25 games for the Irish, averaging 3.7 points a game. However, he shined when given more playing time in games, as shown in the Marquette game on March 2nd. Auguste played 21 minutes and scored a career high 15 points.
Fans should expect great things from him this upcoming season once he comes back from this injury. Brey said, “Since the end of last season, he’s been really focused on improving all aspects of his game and he’s really matured.”
This new found maturity is what he will needs as he wills his fellow players onto victory in these early games. As the old expression goes, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” And Irish faithful should expect this to be the case with Auguste.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Happy 19th Birthday @K_Westbeld33! Gameday & birthday - what could be better than that?! 🍀🎂🎈🎉 1 hour ago
- RT @KayYowFund: @ndwbb Sounds like a great event! Thank you for your support. Annual Pink Zone Brunch #Play4Kay news.nd.edu/news/55558-lyn… 2 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: It's Game Day in Blacksburg as @ndwbb takes on Virginia Tech (7 pm ET live on ESPN3/WatchESPN; listen live on @pulsefm/@W… 2 hours ago
- Congrats on the big win, @NDmbb! Way to #ProtectPurcell! 🍀🏀✊ 13 hours ago
- Tuned in from VA, but still watching @NDmbb take on Duke! Flip to ESPN2 and support the Irish! 🍀🏀 #NDFamily 15 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @bhans23: ND boys r rolling!! Starting to get that fresh smell of a player of the year coming up in South Bend..#stayhungry 2 hours ago
- For you early morning risers - take a look at Jerian's #SCTop10 plays last night & Steve's dagger 3 from ALL angles: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/1qeT… 5 hours ago
- RT @JackCooligan45: Yessss!!! Hell yeah IRISH!!! This team is special and getting wins like this is what they do!! Huge huge win. Jerian fo… 7 hours ago
- RT @ThatGrant22: God is good. Gnite! 7 hours ago
- RT @KyleMcAlarney: Wish I could of seen that in person! Love thee Notre Dame! @NDmbb 7 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Grant Leads No. 8 Notre Dame to 77-73 Victory Over Duke
- M. Lacrosse. Three Fighting Irish Players Selected In MLL Draft
- Softball. Koerner, Wester Named To 2015 USA Softball Collegiate Player Of The Year Watch List