Apr 2, 2013, 11:52 PM EST
Junior forward Natalie Achonwa (Ace) made her way into the starting lineup this year, and she came away with a new school record for double-doubles in a single season. With the graduation of Devereaux Peters, she had a big role to play on the court, and she made sure to approach that position with all the ferocity and determination of a great center. Achonwa doubled her scoring and rebounding averages during this past season and had tied the school record for most double-doubles in a season, most recently held by Katryna Gaither in 1996-1997, before the NCAA tournament even began.
When the Irish defeated the University of Iowa in the second round of the NCAA tournament on March 26, Achonwa tallied her 17th double-double of the season. This was enough to break the school record, but Achonwa has continued to raise the bar even higher for future players. In fact, during Notre Dame’s most recent wins over the University of Kansas and Duke University, she added an 18th and 19th double-double to her name this season. Not only did Ace break the school record, but it took Gaither 38 games to set the previous school record for double-doubles with 16, while Achonwa was able to reach 16 double-doubles during this season in only 30 games.
Not only did Ace made school history, but she also leads the BIG EAST in double-doubles this year. This lead even includes seven double-doubles against ranked teams. Before this season, she had only had two double-doubles each of her two previous seasons, and now she has 19 and counting this year.
Natalie Achonwa truly grew so much during this season, beginning with her overseas experience, representing her home country of Canada in the 2012 London Olympics. She was the second youngest basketball player to play in the Olympics last year, but she never let her young age discourage her. She helped her team through several games in the Olympics and brought that experience back with her to Notre Dame. She has started every game this year, and she averages almost a double-double, with 13.8 points per game and 9.3 rebounds per game. She had 17 points and 10 rebounds in her most recent game against Duke in the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament.
Be sure to catch Achonwa and the rest of the Notre Dame women on Sunday as they take on Connecticut in the Final Four. I’ll be counting and watching for Ace’s next double-double!
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDsidMasters: .@jloyd32 nabs 3rd @accwbb Player of Week, @_Breezy_Briii earns 6th @accwbb Freshman of Week - it's a @ndwbb sweep: http:… 18 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: .@Tire_Rack #SAotW nom @NDwbb's @jloyd32: ave 26.7 pts, 6 rbds, 3.7 asts in the last 3 games ntrda.me/SAotW http… 20 hours ago
- RT @accwbb: . @ndwbb sweeps #ACCWBB weekly honors. theacc.co/WBBPOW012615 20 hours ago
- Looks like we swept this week's @accwbb honors! @jloyd32 was named Player of the Week and @_Breezy_Briii earned Freshman of the Week! #NDWBB 20 hours ago
- I voted for @NDwbb's @jloyd32 as the @Tire_Rack Student Athlete of the Week! und.com/saotw #LoydSAotW 20 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Help Jerian grab a clean sweep of the weekly awards. 1. ACC PotW - ✔️ 2. ND SAotW - VOTE - ntrda.me/SAotW http://t.co/CBfgECISP0 2 hours ago
- DID YOU KNOW: Jerian Grant is ONLY player in NCAA (D1) averaging 16.0ppg, 6.0apg & 50% from the floor. (HT @ESPNCBB) http://t.co/Wfbejquh56 15 hours ago
- 19-2. 8th in the Nation. A great opportunity is in front of us. Let's do it #together. UPDATED National Rankings: http://t.co/suZNds6v72 17 hours ago
- Great videos from @WatchND after our 81-78 win over NCSU: INSIDE THE LOCKER ROOM: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/RtNW… HIGHLIGHTS: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/FqM3… 18 hours ago
- Congrats to Jerian on being named @theACC PLAYER OF THE WEEK for his play in helping us move to 19-2! #Together http://t.co/rACfJfdtUO 20 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Jerian Grant Nabs Second ACC Player of the Week Honor
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Duo Sweeps ACC Player and Freshman of the Week Awards
- M. Lacrosse. Fighting Irish Freshman Class Ranked Second By Inside Lacrosse
- M. Basketball. No. 12 Notre Dame at NC State: Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. No. 8 Notre Dame Rallies Past NC State in Overtime, 81-78