Apr 2, 2013, 11:52 PM EST
Junior forward Natalie Achonwa (Ace) made her way into the starting lineup this year, and she came away with a new school record for double-doubles in a single season. With the graduation of Devereaux Peters, she had a big role to play on the court, and she made sure to approach that position with all the ferocity and determination of a great center. Achonwa doubled her scoring and rebounding averages during this past season and had tied the school record for most double-doubles in a season, most recently held by Katryna Gaither in 1996-1997, before the NCAA tournament even began.
When the Irish defeated the University of Iowa in the second round of the NCAA tournament on March 26, Achonwa tallied her 17th double-double of the season. This was enough to break the school record, but Achonwa has continued to raise the bar even higher for future players. In fact, during Notre Dame’s most recent wins over the University of Kansas and Duke University, she added an 18th and 19th double-double to her name this season. Not only did Ace break the school record, but it took Gaither 38 games to set the previous school record for double-doubles with 16, while Achonwa was able to reach 16 double-doubles during this season in only 30 games.
Not only did Ace made school history, but she also leads the BIG EAST in double-doubles this year. This lead even includes seven double-doubles against ranked teams. Before this season, she had only had two double-doubles each of her two previous seasons, and now she has 19 and counting this year.
Natalie Achonwa truly grew so much during this season, beginning with her overseas experience, representing her home country of Canada in the 2012 London Olympics. She was the second youngest basketball player to play in the Olympics last year, but she never let her young age discourage her. She helped her team through several games in the Olympics and brought that experience back with her to Notre Dame. She has started every game this year, and she averages almost a double-double, with 13.8 points per game and 9.3 rebounds per game. She had 17 points and 10 rebounds in her most recent game against Duke in the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament.
Be sure to catch Achonwa and the rest of the Notre Dame women on Sunday as they take on Connecticut in the Final Four. I’ll be counting and watching for Ace’s next double-double!
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 3 days until our last game before the holiday break, 7 days until Christmas, and 15 days until our ACC opener! #GoIrish 7 hours ago
- Don't forget: Sunday's game vs. St Joseph's will be the 10th annual #ndwbb Teddy Bear Toss! Bring your stuffed animals to toss at halftime! 1 day ago
- Happy Birthday to senior guard, @mcable22! Enjoy your day! 😃💚🎉🎈🎁 1 day ago
- 3 more days until exams are over for the fall semester! Keep fighting! #GoIrish #BeatFinals 1 day ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Congrats to all 3 @ndwbb Class of 2015 signees @mmabrey1, @Arike_O and @alipaige_14 who made @NaismithTrophy HS POY Watch… 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Want great food and to talk a little ND Hoops? Come out to O'Rourke's tonight at 7pm for the Mike Brey Radio Show w/guest Austin Burgett. 58 minutes ago
- "VJ Beachem was in practice yesterday shooting and doing some 5-0. Won't play Saturday, but it is encouraging." -Mike Brey on VJ's injury 7 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Time for @NDmbb's Weekly Press Conference! Tune in on @WatchND- ntrda.me/1DQeKrD #GoIrish 7 hours ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: Coach Brey talked with @dandakich about @NDmbb, the Crossroads Classic, the state of college hoops & more! LISTEN:htt… 8 hours ago
- Looking for the perfect holiday gift? 4 tix 4 hot dogs 4 drinks 4 bags of chips FOR $60! -> ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme… http://t.co/Fy0gMOI4nr 10 hours ago
- Football. ECHOES `14: Notre Dame Football Awards Show Premieres December 20, 2014 on NBC Sports Network
- Fencing. Francesca Russo: Big-Time Dreamer, Full-Throttle Fencer
- W. Soccer. Naughton, Roccaro Named To NSCAA Scholar All-America Third Team
- Baseball. Baseball Announces Elite 2015 Schedule
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Debuts At #2 In Inside Lacrosse Preseason Poll