Apr 2, 2013, 11:52 PM EDT
Junior forward Natalie Achonwa (Ace) made her way into the starting lineup this year, and she came away with a new school record for double-doubles in a single season. With the graduation of Devereaux Peters, she had a big role to play on the court, and she made sure to approach that position with all the ferocity and determination of a great center. Achonwa doubled her scoring and rebounding averages during this past season and had tied the school record for most double-doubles in a season, most recently held by Katryna Gaither in 1996-1997, before the NCAA tournament even began.
When the Irish defeated the University of Iowa in the second round of the NCAA tournament on March 26, Achonwa tallied her 17th double-double of the season. This was enough to break the school record, but Achonwa has continued to raise the bar even higher for future players. In fact, during Notre Dame’s most recent wins over the University of Kansas and Duke University, she added an 18th and 19th double-double to her name this season. Not only did Ace break the school record, but it took Gaither 38 games to set the previous school record for double-doubles with 16, while Achonwa was able to reach 16 double-doubles during this season in only 30 games.
Not only did Ace made school history, but she also leads the BIG EAST in double-doubles this year. This lead even includes seven double-doubles against ranked teams. Before this season, she had only had two double-doubles each of her two previous seasons, and now she has 19 and counting this year.
Natalie Achonwa truly grew so much during this season, beginning with her overseas experience, representing her home country of Canada in the 2012 London Olympics. She was the second youngest basketball player to play in the Olympics last year, but she never let her young age discourage her. She helped her team through several games in the Olympics and brought that experience back with her to Notre Dame. She has started every game this year, and she averages almost a double-double, with 13.8 points per game and 9.3 rebounds per game. She had 17 points and 10 rebounds in her most recent game against Duke in the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament.
Be sure to catch Achonwa and the rest of the Notre Dame women on Sunday as they take on Connecticut in the Final Four. I’ll be counting and watching for Ace’s next double-double!
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- First practice back from break! The journey begins...#WeareND http://t.co/5Uq1IoQJFS 8 hours ago
- What a great day for our program and players! Now it's time to go to work! Thankful for the honors, ready to get started again! 11 hours ago
- JLoyd on Coach McGraw "She motivates you, encourages you and makes you better she makes you want to do well for her." http://t.co/zke7nvkLjw 12 hours ago
- NDWBB Coach Muffett McGraw: if you're going to build around someone, Jewell Loyd is a great player to build around. #ACCmediaday 13 hours ago
- A couple of our opponents have voted @NotreDame as the best place to play BECAUSE we pack the house! Great job 6th man (our FANS) 🍀🍀🍀👏👏👏👏 13 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Want to send a thank you to the @BlueAngels staff (all 130 of them!) & @NotreDame grad @jphiltz2 for the experience! http://t.co/Us4ez2q78Y 6 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: Our break plans aren't as cool as @NDMikeBrey though - flying with @BlueAngels in Pensacola. Truly awesome! http://t.co/G0F… 15 hours ago
- Have you seen our new @UnderArmour away jersey? We'll let @BlueAngels pilot @jphiltz2 & @NDMikeBrey display it: http://t.co/bj5eRWbQvQ 1 day ago
- RT @NDfidm: Some days when we feel honored to interview someone - today was one of those days - thanks @jphiltz2 and @BlueAngels http://t.c… 1 day ago
- RT @BlueAngels: Lt. Cmdr. John Hiltz, former @NDmbb player is presented with a team jersey by Coach @NDMikeBrey http://t.co/MN7j5y63Uw 1 day ago
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Upended At #8 Indiana, 1-0
- Football. Three From Notre Dame on NFF Hall of Fame Ballot
- W. Volleyball. Alugbue Makes Broadcasting Debut In Irish Win Over BC
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish, #20 Clemson Bring A Postseason Feel To Alumni Stadium Thursday
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Earns Top Spot In 2014-15 ACC Preseason Women's Basketball Polls