Mar 22, 2013, 4:26 PM EDT
By the time Notre Dame and Iowa State tip off tonight, the most exciting two days in college basketball will be almost over. The 9:45 pm matchup between the #7 seed Fighting Irish and #10 seed Cyclones is scheduled to be the 30th of 32 second round games, and will close out a full day of hoops at the University of Dayton Arena for CBS announcers Jim Nantz, Clark Kellogg and Tracy Wolfson.
This morning, the Irish returned to the site of tonight’s tilt, as well as the Ed Zink Fieldhouse at Beavercreek High School, for a couple of final shootarounds.
Thus far, two of the top five seeds in the West Region (#3 New Mexico and #5 Wisconsin) have already fallen, with a third, #4 Kansas State trailing LaSalle by 18 at halftime.
The bracket is certainly opening up for a team to make an unexpected run deep into the tournament, and Notre Dame will look to begin that journey with a win tonight. Among many other motives, today is also head coach Mike Brey‘s birthday, and I’m sure he would like nothing more than a few more days in Dayton.
For more on the game, check out the notes on UND.com, as well as our “Everything You Need To Know About Iowa State” blog from earlier in the week.
And during a commercial break for one of the many great games you might currently be watching, here’s a one-minute recap of this morning’s practices from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @ndwbbsid: .@ndwbb season ticket holders renewal notices in mail this week - Irish have had 95% renewals, max season tix purchases (~750… 15 hours ago
- RT @SJCHabitat: @ndwbb We are blessed to be affiliated with such #class ladies & staff! #GoIrish #Habitatbuildshousesandhope #WomenBuild 15 hours ago
- Looking forward to working on @SJCHabitat's Women Build this fall! Our team is very excited to help build a home close to The Dome! 🔨🏡🍀💚 15 hours ago
- Congrats to @SkyDigg4 becoming @TulsaShock new record holder for most points in the regular season! #PROready🙌🍀👏👏 http://t.co/nHlcADXGOD 15 hours ago
- RT @IrishCoachIvey: Im so GRATEFUL to work for @MuffetMcGraw and represent this AMAZING University! So proud to coach at my Alma Mater! Eve… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Getting some work in before we leave for Italy next week! #NDMBBItaly http://t.co/hl9KbB99Et 8 hours ago
- Did you miss @NDMikeBrey's 1st pitch at the @Silver_Hawks game last night? We have you covered! CLICK: youtu.be/J4akkGeyd5w 11 hours ago
- Now that we are with @UnderArmour, we have all new apparel! Have you seen our new practice uni's? #TeamUA http://t.co/pLw6bfOk0f 18 hours ago
- You knew @NDMikeBrey threw out the @Silver_Hawks 1st pitch, but did you know @GrantEl10 (Catcher) wore @googleglass? youtu.be/J4akkGeyd5w 1 day ago
- Coach takes some time to sign some autographs after throwing out the 1st pitch at the @Silver_Hawks game. #MB1stPitch http://t.co/I6HTtCHl17 1 day ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Anders Bjork Signs National Letter-Of-Intent To Play Hockey For The Irish
- Baseball. HitTrax Technology Takes Irish Into Next Level Of Player Evaluation
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowers Win Two Gold Medals At World Under 23 Championships
- Football. Irish Will Open Training Camp At Culver Academies