Mar 21, 2013, 8:12 PM EST
After arriving in Dayton on Wednesday evening, the #7 seed Notre Dame men’s basketball team jumped into practice for Iowa State on Thursday.
Following breakfast at the hotel, the Irish made a short trip to nearby Beavercreek High School, where a couple of Notre Dame alums made them feel right at home. Sara Anderson, and her husband Jon, are 2007 graduates who are both teachers at the school.
When Sara found out the Irish would be practicing at Beavercreek on Wednesday, she took the Notre Dame flags from her classroom down to the gym, and left a sign that read “Welcome to BHS. Go Irish, Beat Cyclones!”
After seeing the sign, we tracked down Sara, who was teaching English. Her class had just finished presentations for the day, so she and the students were able to swing by to watch a few minutes of the Irish’s practice.
Last week, the Andersons were able to get their hands on tickets to Friday’s games in Dayton. They had been crossing their fingers during Selection Sunday, hoping Notre Dame would end up in that part of the bracket. It all worked out, but that was just the beginning.
They were both pretty excited when they found out their Irish would be spending some time at the school this week, but never thought they would have a chance to meet head coach Mike Brey.
After finishing up at Beavercreek, the team headed back to the hotel for lunch, before the early evening open practice and media session at the University of Dayton Arena.
FIDM also caught up with Coach Brey and many of the players individually in the locker room.
The Irish will have two more shootarounds tomorrow morning, before taking on #10 seed Iowa State at approximately 9:45 pm ET on CBS. Check out our blog post from earlier in the week to learn more about the Cyclones.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDsidMasters: .@ndwbb is back in friendly confines of Purcell Pavilion Friday at 5 pm (ET) to host Chattanooga live on @WatchND: http:/… 7 hours ago
- Spotlight game of the week! Call (574-631-7356) or visit @NDTIX for tickets to tomorrow's game! http://t.co/RSRcmcX7cJ 17 hours ago
- Busy day in the Joyce Center tomorrow! Make sure you come by the Purcell Pavilion to catch #ndwbb take on Chattanooga at 5pm! #PACKEDhouse 17 hours ago
- Less than 2 weeks until our ACC/Big Ten challenge game against Maryland (12/3/14 at @acwmc)! Get your tickets: ow.ly/ExIt8 18 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Recap, box, notes, photos and highlights from @ndwbb 71-63 win at #15/17 Michigan State Wednesday night now posted: http:… 18 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- To be the best, you have to eat at the steakhouse of the best. Time to eat at Michael Jordan's Steakhouse. 🏀🍴🍀 http://t.co/AnP3tgBILW 7 hours ago
- We announced earlier we would play in the 2015 @OrlandoClassic - let's throw it back to 2010 when we took the title: http://t.co/tOfn8y4SWE 13 hours ago
- We're about to hit the road for the Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament - From the 574 to the 860. #MoheganSunBound http://t.co/oBYl5IzL0U 13 hours ago
- Looks like we are headed to the Sunshine State in 2015! @OrlandoClassic here we come! http://t.co/YFuAMRDdVb 18 hours ago
- Help choose our Coppin State player of the game: RETWEET: Z.A. (@ZachEliAuguste) FAVORITE: V.J. (@VB3ND) http://t.co/9mtZYdEIfw 19 hours ago
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Return Home Friday To Face Chattanooga
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Welcomes No. 7 UNC And NC State To Purcell This Weekend
- Football. The (Football) Band of the Fighting Irish
- Football. Mike Denbrock and the Irish Offensive Coaching Staff: A Day in the Life
- Football. Changing Course