Mar 21, 2013, 8:12 PM EST
After arriving in Dayton on Wednesday evening, the #7 seed Notre Dame men’s basketball team jumped into practice for Iowa State on Thursday.
Following breakfast at the hotel, the Irish made a short trip to nearby Beavercreek High School, where a couple of Notre Dame alums made them feel right at home. Sara Anderson, and her husband Jon, are 2007 graduates who are both teachers at the school.
When Sara found out the Irish would be practicing at Beavercreek on Wednesday, she took the Notre Dame flags from her classroom down to the gym, and left a sign that read “Welcome to BHS. Go Irish, Beat Cyclones!”
After seeing the sign, we tracked down Sara, who was teaching English. Her class had just finished presentations for the day, so she and the students were able to swing by to watch a few minutes of the Irish’s practice.
Last week, the Andersons were able to get their hands on tickets to Friday’s games in Dayton. They had been crossing their fingers during Selection Sunday, hoping Notre Dame would end up in that part of the bracket. It all worked out, but that was just the beginning.
They were both pretty excited when they found out their Irish would be spending some time at the school this week, but never thought they would have a chance to meet head coach Mike Brey.
After finishing up at Beavercreek, the team headed back to the hotel for lunch, before the early evening open practice and media session at the University of Dayton Arena.
FIDM also caught up with Coach Brey and many of the players individually in the locker room.
The Irish will have two more shootarounds tomorrow morning, before taking on #10 seed Iowa State at approximately 9:45 pm ET on CBS. Check out our blog post from earlier in the week to learn more about the Cyclones.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @IrishCoachIvey: Supporting our coaching friend djobanion #CoachesforCoachD #faithFULL🍀💚💚💚💚💚 instagram.com/p/yQeWKCNv7j/ 23 hours ago
- RT @jbodenst: We have amazing fans! @ndwbb Well over 100 people came out to see us at Clemson! http://t.co/98ZAbC1oLY 23 hours ago
- All of our Irish Family supporting @DJOBanion! #faithFULL #Coaches4CoachD 💚 http://t.co/dZVZDv7PNn 23 hours ago
- Here is the final infographic for our 74-36 win over Clemson! @jloyd32 led the team with 17 points and 8 rebounds http://t.co/X5x72ENq4b 23 hours ago
- At the final media timeout of the game, the Irish lead Clemson 70-31. 3:35 left to play 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- HOW TO WATCH/LISTEN #8 ND vs NC State 📺: ESPNU 💻📱: es.pn/1wgB83z 📻🔊: watchnd.tv/#!/games/18407… STARTERS: http://t.co/L3XoyVe0Ul 47 minutes ago
- Our staff is proud to lace up sneakers tonight for the annual @ACSCvC Suits & Sneakers Week. #8 ND vs NCSU 6:30pm http://t.co/W4FvdwqCox 51 minutes ago
- INSTAGRAM'ING THE STARTERS - #8 ND vs NC State - ESPNU - 6:30pm instagram.com/p/yS4Unrwidx/ 1 hour ago
- S-T-R-E-T-C-H. #8 ND vs NC State 6:30pm - ESPNU http://t.co/P22xkkED8p 1 hour ago
- Coach Brey was on Coach K's staff for 216 wins over 8 seasons (1987-95), winning 2 NCAA titles. '92 NCAA Title Team: http://t.co/7beXjYgFiQ 2 hours ago
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #6/5 Notre Dame 74, Clemson 36
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Falls at Northeastern, 4-2
- W. Basketball. Loyd Leads #6/5 Notre Dame to 74-36 Win Over Clemson
- Fencing. Notre Dame Women's Fencers Off to Strong Start, Men Struggle at St. John's Invitational
- Track. Irish Women Finish Second, Giesting Sets School Record At Notre Dame Invitational