Mar 18, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
As we found out yesterday, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team earned a #7 seed in the West Region of this year’s NCAA tournament, and will head to Dayton, Ohio later this week to take on #10 seed Iowa State (Friday, Mar. 22 at 9:45 pm ET).
The programs have only met once before, back on Dec. 3, 1979 at the Joyce Center. Notre Dame won, 87-77. On the team’s Facebook page, Iowa State posted the handwritten box score from that game, where Tracy Jackson led the Irish with 20 points.
Here’s a closer look at Notre Dame’s opponent before the tournament begins:
- Mascot: Cyclones
- Colors: Cardinal and gold
- Conference: Big 12
- Record: 22-11 (at-large bid)
- Coach: Fred Hoiberg (3rd season, 61-38 record)
- Best wins in 2012-13: vs. #11 Kansas State (73-67), vs. #13 Oklahoma State (87-76)
- Home arena: Hilton Coliseum (capacity: 14,356)
- Best players: Will Clyburn, Sr., G (15.0 PPG), Tyrus McGee, Sr., G (13.2 PPG), Melvin Ejim, Jr., F (11.2 PPG, 9.3 RPG)
- NCAA tournament history: Second straight appearance, 15th overall
- Deepest tournament runs: Final Four – 1944, Elite Eight – 2000
Located in Ames, Iowa, ISU – or the Iowa State University of Science and Technology – was founded in 1858. There are approximately 25,500 students taking undergraduate courses, with another 5,500 enrolled in graduate and professional programs.
Head coach Fred Hoiberg is an Ames native, and starred for his hometown Cyclones in the early 1990’s. He averaged 15.8 points per game during his career and is the third leading scorer (1,993 points) in program history. Hoiberg’s popularity in Ames earned him the nickname “The Mayor.” He received several write-in votes during the city’s 1993 mayoral election, and had his #32 jersey retired in 1997.
Though the Cyclones lost 11 games this season, they are ranked fourth nationally in scoring average at 79.6 points per game. Maybe it should come as no surprise, then, that they are first in the country in 3-pointers per game (9.8) and total 3-pointers made (325).
On two occasions, Iowa State took South Region #1 seed Kansas to overtime. Hoiberg’s squad lost to the eventual conference champion Jayhawks in both games, but proved it can compete with some of the nation’s best.
Find out much more on Notre Dame’s opponent in their game notes on Cyclones.com. Stay tuned as Fighting Irish Digital Media heads on the road with the Irish later this week.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Is there a game tonight or something @LepLegion? #IrishInLine http://t.co/CFlOAgifKz 1 hour ago
- We aren't the only ones excited about the Rally Towels - check out @NDFootball's @CoreyRobinson13 & @sdaly61: vine.co/v/OTYVpzFL3Z1 1 hour ago
- RALLY TOWELS FOR ALL!!! #8 ND vs #4 Duke 7:30pm - ESPN2 http://t.co/jgrJ4XKN6x 2 hours ago
- As practice ends, Bonz (@Bacolson35) hits a walk-off 3 as he heads to the locker room. (This was not the only take) vine.co/v/OTYMhvmBlZ0 2 hours ago
- Believe it or not, but "LEAN BACK" is not blasting on the 🔊 ... we're just stretching. ND vs Duke 7:30pm - ESPN2 http://t.co/4afkDUOeiJ 3 hours ago
- Softball. Koerner, Wester Named To 2015 USA Softball Collegiate Player Of The Year Watch List
- W. Basketball. #4 Irish Reach Midpoint Of ACC Schedule Thursday At Virginia Tech
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Men's And Women's Lacrosse Tickets On Sale
- W. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Men's And Women's Lacrosse Tickets On Sale
- Track. Meet The Coaches: Jumping High In The Coaching Game