Mar 18, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
As we found out yesterday, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team earned a #7 seed in the West Region of this year’s NCAA tournament, and will head to Dayton, Ohio later this week to take on #10 seed Iowa State (Friday, Mar. 22 at 9:45 pm ET).
The programs have only met once before, back on Dec. 3, 1979 at the Joyce Center. Notre Dame won, 87-77. On the team’s Facebook page, Iowa State posted the handwritten box score from that game, where Tracy Jackson led the Irish with 20 points.
Here’s a closer look at Notre Dame’s opponent before the tournament begins:
- Mascot: Cyclones
- Colors: Cardinal and gold
- Conference: Big 12
- Record: 22-11 (at-large bid)
- Coach: Fred Hoiberg (3rd season, 61-38 record)
- Best wins in 2012-13: vs. #11 Kansas State (73-67), vs. #13 Oklahoma State (87-76)
- Home arena: Hilton Coliseum (capacity: 14,356)
- Best players: Will Clyburn, Sr., G (15.0 PPG), Tyrus McGee, Sr., G (13.2 PPG), Melvin Ejim, Jr., F (11.2 PPG, 9.3 RPG)
- NCAA tournament history: Second straight appearance, 15th overall
- Deepest tournament runs: Final Four – 1944, Elite Eight – 2000
Located in Ames, Iowa, ISU – or the Iowa State University of Science and Technology – was founded in 1858. There are approximately 25,500 students taking undergraduate courses, with another 5,500 enrolled in graduate and professional programs.
Head coach Fred Hoiberg is an Ames native, and starred for his hometown Cyclones in the early 1990’s. He averaged 15.8 points per game during his career and is the third leading scorer (1,993 points) in program history. Hoiberg’s popularity in Ames earned him the nickname “The Mayor.” He received several write-in votes during the city’s 1993 mayoral election, and had his #32 jersey retired in 1997.
Though the Cyclones lost 11 games this season, they are ranked fourth nationally in scoring average at 79.6 points per game. Maybe it should come as no surprise, then, that they are first in the country in 3-pointers per game (9.8) and total 3-pointers made (325).
On two occasions, Iowa State took South Region #1 seed Kansas to overtime. Hoiberg’s squad lost to the eventual conference champion Jayhawks in both games, but proved it can compete with some of the nation’s best.
Find out much more on Notre Dame’s opponent in their game notes on Cyclones.com. Stay tuned as Fighting Irish Digital Media heads on the road with the Irish later this week.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @Irishenanigoats: Thank you @ndwbb for showing you can still respect law enforcement while recognizing that change is necessary. 13 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Full coverage (recap, box, quotes, notes, pics & highlights) of today's @ndwbb 64-50 win over Saint Joseph's now up: http… 13 hours ago
- FINAL infographic! Irish defeat St. Joseph's 64-50. And welcome back @_Breezy_Briii, she lead ND 19 pnts. http://t.co/n5JK0zjFXt 15 hours ago
- With just 3:27 left in the game, the Irish lead the Hawks 60-46 15 hours ago
- Irish have a 54-38 leading with 7:51 remaining in the game. 15 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Videos from our win vs. Purdue! Irish Connection takes you inside the locker room: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/VkZW… Highlights: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/RwYm… 14 hours ago
- RT @NDfidm: Check out #ICON if you want to hear @NDJackNolan's play by play call of the key plays in the @NDmbb Purdue victory - http://t.c… 1 day ago
- RT @JonRothstein: Statement game for Mike Brey and Notre Dame. Irish beat Purdue by 31 and have six players score in double-figures. Explos… 1 day ago
- RT @NDJackNolan: .@NDmbb 5 min away from Purcell. For some reason, this bus ride back from INDY did not seem so long :) 1 day ago
- RT @BleacherReport: VIDEO: Notre Dame’s Demetrius Jackson dunks all over 7’2” Purdue center Isaac Haas ble.ac/1ra23Cd http://t.co/6… 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Jackson Dunk Sets Tone for Win Over Boilermakers
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Road Trip to Crossroads Classic
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #5/4 Notre Dame 64, Saint Joseph's (Pa.) 50
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Quotes
- W. Basketball. #5/4 Irish Defeat Saint Joseph's, 64-50