Mar 16, 2013, 2:33 AM EST
As it’s often said, “The third time’s the charm.”
But such was not the case tonight for the #24 Notre Dame men’s basketball team. For the third year in a row, the Irish met Louisville in the BIG EAST tournament semifinals.
And for the third year in a row, it was the Cardinals who advanced to Saturday night.
Playing in its final BIG EAST tournament before heading to the ACC, Notre Dame’s quest to reach its first conference championship game came up short, 69-57 in front of a spectacular crowd at Madison Square Garden.
While it’s the third straight semifinal loss to Louisville, it’s actually the fourth consecutive year the Irish have lost on Friday night (They fell to West Virginia in 2010).
Losing never feels good, especially against arguably your biggest rival. But you can bet this one stings a little more for Mike Brey‘s squad since it won’t get another crack at the Cardinals until the 2014-15 season.
Still, the team can’t dwell on tonight’s loss. The Irish are a lock for an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, and have some work to do if they hope to make a run deep into March. They played well against Rutgers, and got a big win against Marquette on Thursday. And as Brey noted in his post-game press conference, Louisville is poised to be a #1 seed when the bracket is announced on Sunday.
“We had our chances. We were right there,” he said. “So I think there’s a lot for us to feel good about, that this tournament maybe helped get us tougher and more confident for next week.”
Stay tuned later in the weekend, as Fighting Irish Digital Media will bring you complete coverage of Selection Sunday. For more on the game, check out the recap on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDsidMasters: .@jloyd32 nabs 3rd @accwbb Player of Week, @_Breezy_Briii earns 6th @accwbb Freshman of Week - it's a @ndwbb sweep: http:… 5 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: .@Tire_Rack #SAotW nom @NDwbb's @jloyd32: ave 26.7 pts, 6 rbds, 3.7 asts in the last 3 games ntrda.me/SAotW http… 6 hours ago
- RT @accwbb: . @ndwbb sweeps #ACCWBB weekly honors. theacc.co/WBBPOW012615 7 hours ago
- Looks like we swept this week's @accwbb honors! @jloyd32 was named Player of the Week and @_Breezy_Briii earned Freshman of the Week! #NDWBB 7 hours ago
- I voted for @NDwbb's @jloyd32 as the @Tire_Rack Student Athlete of the Week! und.com/saotw #LoydSAotW 7 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- DID YOU KNOW: Jerian Grant is ONLY player in NCAA (D1) averaging 16.0ppg, 6.0apg & 50% from the floor. (HT @ESPNCBB) http://t.co/Wfbejquh56 2 hours ago
- 19-2. 8th in the Nation. A great opportunity is in front of us. Let's do it #together. UPDATED National Rankings: http://t.co/suZNds6v72 3 hours ago
- Great videos from @WatchND after our 81-78 win over NCSU: INSIDE THE LOCKER ROOM: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/RtNW… HIGHLIGHTS: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/FqM3… 4 hours ago
- Congrats to Jerian on being named @theACC PLAYER OF THE WEEK for his play in helping us move to 19-2! #Together http://t.co/rACfJfdtUO 6 hours ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: LESSER PUBLICIZED @NDmbb NOTES: SINCE... ...going speed of sound w/@BlueAngels, Brey is 19-2 ...@Austin_Burgett drove… 10 hours ago
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Duo Sweeps ACC Player and Freshman of the Week Awards
- M. Lacrosse. Fighting Irish Freshman Class Ranked Second By Inside Lacrosse
- M. Basketball. No. 12 Notre Dame at NC State: Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. No. 8 Notre Dame Rallies Past NC State in Overtime, 81-78
- Fencing. Irish Return To Form At NYU Invitational