Mar 16, 2013, 2:33 AM EDT
As it’s often said, “The third time’s the charm.”
But such was not the case tonight for the #24 Notre Dame men’s basketball team. For the third year in a row, the Irish met Louisville in the BIG EAST tournament semifinals.
And for the third year in a row, it was the Cardinals who advanced to Saturday night.
Playing in its final BIG EAST tournament before heading to the ACC, Notre Dame’s quest to reach its first conference championship game came up short, 69-57 in front of a spectacular crowd at Madison Square Garden.
While it’s the third straight semifinal loss to Louisville, it’s actually the fourth consecutive year the Irish have lost on Friday night (They fell to West Virginia in 2010).
Losing never feels good, especially against arguably your biggest rival. But you can bet this one stings a little more for Mike Brey‘s squad since it won’t get another crack at the Cardinals until the 2014-15 season.
Still, the team can’t dwell on tonight’s loss. The Irish are a lock for an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, and have some work to do if they hope to make a run deep into March. They played well against Rutgers, and got a big win against Marquette on Thursday. And as Brey noted in his post-game press conference, Louisville is poised to be a #1 seed when the bracket is announced on Sunday.
“We had our chances. We were right there,” he said. “So I think there’s a lot for us to feel good about, that this tournament maybe helped get us tougher and more confident for next week.”
Stay tuned later in the weekend, as Fighting Irish Digital Media will bring you complete coverage of Selection Sunday. For more on the game, check out the recap on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @accwbb: Former @ndwbb standout Kayla McBride, the 3rd pick in the '14 WNBA Draft, is 1 of 3 unanimous selections to the 2014 @WNBA All-… 2 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: New issue of @ndwbb "From The Hardwood" is up … WNBA award winners, @usabasketball Nat'l Team camp invitees & more: http:… 2 hours ago
- Brand new @UnderArmour Clutch Fit basketball shoes for the team today! We got that @StephenCurry30 swag! #IWILL🍀 http://t.co/6B7fBLUyOk 7 hours ago
- #IrishintheWNBA has made some serious noise this summer! Congrats to alumna @kaymac_2123 for her unanimous choice for WNBA All-Rookie Team! 10 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: As we wish @ndwbb legend @ruthriley00 a very happy birthday, you know we had to break this pic out for #tbt: http://t.co/… 13 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- The man, the myth, the legend, Matt Carroll turns 34 today! @Matt_Carroll_ currently works with the @hornets after a 9-year NBA career. 4 hours ago
- Time to plan out your sick days. Our ENTIRE 2014-15 schedule. FULL RELEASE( und.com/sports/m-baskb…) 🏀🍀📅 SCHEDULE: http://t.co/L6BaRt700q 1 day ago
- We interrupt this humid summer day to let you know ... News is coming. Get amped. 🏀🍀📅 #Together 1 day ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: .@MarylandMSoccer #ALSIceBucketChallenge accepted! Chad Riley ’04 (@NDMonogram) & @DartmouthMSoc you’re on the clock! http… 1 week ago
- Help us defend home court against the likes of 'Cuse & Michigan State! SEASON TICKET RENEWALS/PURCHASES: ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme… #Together 1 week ago
- Football. Thursday Night Classics Presented By TireRack.com Debuts Tonight
- Monogram Club. Deceased Members of the Irish Football Family To Be Honored Before Kickoff
- W. Volleyball. Irish Enter Second ACC Season With Plenty Of Veterans And New Faces
- W. Swimming. Kovenock Named Head Women's Swimming & Diving Coach At Brown
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Irish Evaluations From The Opening Week