Mar 16, 2013, 2:33 AM EDT
As it’s often said, “The third time’s the charm.”
But such was not the case tonight for the #24 Notre Dame men’s basketball team. For the third year in a row, the Irish met Louisville in the BIG EAST tournament semifinals.
And for the third year in a row, it was the Cardinals who advanced to Saturday night.
Playing in its final BIG EAST tournament before heading to the ACC, Notre Dame’s quest to reach its first conference championship game came up short, 69-57 in front of a spectacular crowd at Madison Square Garden.
While it’s the third straight semifinal loss to Louisville, it’s actually the fourth consecutive year the Irish have lost on Friday night (They fell to West Virginia in 2010).
Losing never feels good, especially against arguably your biggest rival. But you can bet this one stings a little more for Mike Brey‘s squad since it won’t get another crack at the Cardinals until the 2014-15 season.
Still, the team can’t dwell on tonight’s loss. The Irish are a lock for an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, and have some work to do if they hope to make a run deep into March. They played well against Rutgers, and got a big win against Marquette on Thursday. And as Brey noted in his post-game press conference, Louisville is poised to be a #1 seed when the bracket is announced on Sunday.
“We had our chances. We were right there,” he said. “So I think there’s a lot for us to feel good about, that this tournament maybe helped get us tougher and more confident for next week.”
Stay tuned later in the weekend, as Fighting Irish Digital Media will bring you complete coverage of Selection Sunday. For more on the game, check out the recap on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- "This college cannot fail to succeed" http://t.co/s9UjlWbMNv 12 hours ago
- RT @SouthBendRotary: Thanks @MuffetMcGraw and @ndwbb for supporting Rotary's Purple Pinkies for Polio: youtu.be/udC5NM7xPdY! 1 day ago
- RT @IrishCoachIvey: Great day to be IRISH #sothankful🍀🙌 1 day ago
- And there's a magic, in the sound of her name....🍀 http://t.co/Lm23LR7Vwg 1 day ago
- RT @fhallallen: FORTUNATE to work w/ another Championship caliber contender today @ndwbb. THX @MuffetMcGraw, @GoIrishCoachO, @IrishCoachIve… 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: I'm hoping Coach Brey and Coach Izzo don these outfits for their B1G/ACC Challenge showdown on Dec. 3rd in South Bend … 13 hours ago
- Our program was built on bringing our community #together. We were honored to help @SJCHabitat with Friday's build! http://t.co/4mniE0fmd7 1 day ago
- We've unveiled our new @UnderArmour uniforms with two legendary icons - @DickieV & the @BlueAngels. Who's next? http://t.co/wdbUx8GVKA 1 day ago
- RT @EAtkins0: VJ is going to have a big year this year I can feel it...just has to stay aggressive and the rest is #EasyMoney 1 day ago
- We know where Brant is sitting, where are you sitting this year? RT@NDBrantUst View from my seats for the '14-'15 @NDmbb season, can't wait! 1 day ago
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Pick Up Key ACC Win Over Virginia Tech, 3-1
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Loses Five Setter At Virginia
- M. Golf. Strong Second Round Vaults Wingo Into Top 25 After Day One Of Bridgestone Golf Collegiate
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf In Eighth Place After Two Rounds At Landfall Tradition
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish Face Louisville On Senior Day Sunday At Alumni Stadium