Mar 16, 2013, 2:33 AM EST
As it’s often said, “The third time’s the charm.”
But such was not the case tonight for the #24 Notre Dame men’s basketball team. For the third year in a row, the Irish met Louisville in the BIG EAST tournament semifinals.
And for the third year in a row, it was the Cardinals who advanced to Saturday night.
Playing in its final BIG EAST tournament before heading to the ACC, Notre Dame’s quest to reach its first conference championship game came up short, 69-57 in front of a spectacular crowd at Madison Square Garden.
While it’s the third straight semifinal loss to Louisville, it’s actually the fourth consecutive year the Irish have lost on Friday night (They fell to West Virginia in 2010).
Losing never feels good, especially against arguably your biggest rival. But you can bet this one stings a little more for Mike Brey‘s squad since it won’t get another crack at the Cardinals until the 2014-15 season.
Still, the team can’t dwell on tonight’s loss. The Irish are a lock for an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, and have some work to do if they hope to make a run deep into March. They played well against Rutgers, and got a big win against Marquette on Thursday. And as Brey noted in his post-game press conference, Louisville is poised to be a #1 seed when the bracket is announced on Sunday.
“We had our chances. We were right there,” he said. “So I think there’s a lot for us to feel good about, that this tournament maybe helped get us tougher and more confident for next week.”
Stay tuned later in the weekend, as Fighting Irish Digital Media will bring you complete coverage of Selection Sunday. For more on the game, check out the recap on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Everyone has officially left for the holiday! Thank you to everyone who joined us for our final game before Christmas. 🍀💚 3 hours ago
- RT @Irishenanigoats: Thank you @ndwbb for showing you can still respect law enforcement while recognizing that change is necessary. 1 day ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Full coverage (recap, box, quotes, notes, pics & highlights) of today's @ndwbb 64-50 win over Saint Joseph's now up: http… 1 day ago
- FINAL infographic! Irish defeat St. Joseph's 64-50. And welcome back @_Breezy_Briii, she lead ND 19 pnts. http://t.co/n5JK0zjFXt 1 day ago
- With just 3:27 left in the game, the Irish lead the Hawks 60-46 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- #DunksDuLac Returns Home. ND vs NIU 7pm - ESPN3 Tickets: UND.com/BuyTickets #Together http://t.co/KIixZZuDGq 58 minutes ago
- We can't succeed unless we're #Together. #16 in the national polls and ranked highly in many NCAA categories. http://t.co/sc3iR5InN2 2 hours ago
- Our guys recorded in the @NDfidm studio after practice for the video board. Let's just say, "get on your feet!" vine.co/v/OXI3gww1ajK 3 hours ago
- #DunksDuLac returns to Purcell Pavilion tonight as we take on Northern Illinois at 7pm. Tix: UND.com/BuyTickets http://t.co/SIDyrl1U5C 4 hours ago
- Videos from our win vs. Purdue! Irish Connection takes you inside the locker room: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/VkZW… Highlights: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/RwYm… 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Jackson Dunk Sets Tone for Win Over Boilermakers
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Road Trip to Crossroads Classic
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #5/4 Notre Dame 64, Saint Joseph's (Pa.) 50
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Quotes
- W. Basketball. #5/4 Irish Defeat Saint Joseph's, 64-50