Mar 16, 2013, 2:33 AM EDT
As it’s often said, “The third time’s the charm.”
But such was not the case tonight for the #24 Notre Dame men’s basketball team. For the third year in a row, the Irish met Louisville in the BIG EAST tournament semifinals.
And for the third year in a row, it was the Cardinals who advanced to Saturday night.
Playing in its final BIG EAST tournament before heading to the ACC, Notre Dame’s quest to reach its first conference championship game came up short, 69-57 in front of a spectacular crowd at Madison Square Garden.
While it’s the third straight semifinal loss to Louisville, it’s actually the fourth consecutive year the Irish have lost on Friday night (They fell to West Virginia in 2010).
Losing never feels good, especially against arguably your biggest rival. But you can bet this one stings a little more for Mike Brey‘s squad since it won’t get another crack at the Cardinals until the 2014-15 season.
Still, the team can’t dwell on tonight’s loss. The Irish are a lock for an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, and have some work to do if they hope to make a run deep into March. They played well against Rutgers, and got a big win against Marquette on Thursday. And as Brey noted in his post-game press conference, Louisville is poised to be a #1 seed when the bracket is announced on Sunday.
“We had our chances. We were right there,” he said. “So I think there’s a lot for us to feel good about, that this tournament maybe helped get us tougher and more confident for next week.”
Stay tuned later in the weekend, as Fighting Irish Digital Media will bring you complete coverage of Selection Sunday. For more on the game, check out the recap on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:19 | May 2, 2013
- Even though tonight's game was on @ESPNU, you may want to rewatch some of the highlights. Check them out at und.com/sports/w-baskb… 3 hours ago
- RT @IrishCoachIvey: Congrats to @LA_Cruisen who now has the single-season freshman record w/ 117 assists🍀! That's amazing! Proud of you👏👏#t… 6 hours ago
- And our hearts forever love thee Notre Dame : final score tonight 83-48 Irish 🍀🏀 We will play Sunday night at 7:00PM ET on @ESPN! 8 hours ago
- RT @ruthriley00: This is why she is the best, @ndwbb are up 30 & @MuffetMcGraw is focused on the details & finding teaching moments! http:/… 8 hours ago
- Irish hold the lead at 7:19 with 69-36! 🍀🏀 8 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- Keep up the good work @ndwbb! Take a look at our good friends down the hall at the JACC on @ESPNU! #Together 8 hours ago
- Check out @NDMikeBrey Mic'd Up as the Irish go through another practice during the 2013-14 season - youtu.be/gJC0rIaav3w 13 hours ago
- RT @NDJackNolan: Inside ND Bball looks back at last second losses to Pitt & NC and sits down with @gsherm11. youtu.be/ZGP5wUOWTwA 19 hours ago
- Take a few moments to vote for our guys for the All-ACC squad! #Together theacc.com/#!/page/fanvote 1 day ago
- Mike Brey to be feted at 2014 Dick Vitale Gala: tinyurl.com/mu8rrxa 1 day ago
- Baseball. No. 6 Wolfpack Sweep Irish In Saturday ACC Action
- M. Lacrosse. #6 Notre Dame Falls To #12 Denver, 10-7, In Pacific Coast Shootout
- Fencing. Irish Fare Well At Midwest Regionals
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Breeze Past #14/17 N.C. State In ACC Semifinals, 83-48
- W. Lacrosse. No. 13/10 Women's Lacrosse Beats Louisville, 12-9