Mar 16, 2013, 2:33 AM EDT
As it’s often said, “The third time’s the charm.”
But such was not the case tonight for the #24 Notre Dame men’s basketball team. For the third year in a row, the Irish met Louisville in the BIG EAST tournament semifinals.
And for the third year in a row, it was the Cardinals who advanced to Saturday night.
Playing in its final BIG EAST tournament before heading to the ACC, Notre Dame’s quest to reach its first conference championship game came up short, 69-57 in front of a spectacular crowd at Madison Square Garden.
While it’s the third straight semifinal loss to Louisville, it’s actually the fourth consecutive year the Irish have lost on Friday night (They fell to West Virginia in 2010).
Losing never feels good, especially against arguably your biggest rival. But you can bet this one stings a little more for Mike Brey‘s squad since it won’t get another crack at the Cardinals until the 2014-15 season.
Still, the team can’t dwell on tonight’s loss. The Irish are a lock for an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, and have some work to do if they hope to make a run deep into March. They played well against Rutgers, and got a big win against Marquette on Thursday. And as Brey noted in his post-game press conference, Louisville is poised to be a #1 seed when the bracket is announced on Sunday.
“We had our chances. We were right there,” he said. “So I think there’s a lot for us to feel good about, that this tournament maybe helped get us tougher and more confident for next week.”
Stay tuned later in the weekend, as Fighting Irish Digital Media will bring you complete coverage of Selection Sunday. For more on the game, check out the recap on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- PRO READY (featuring @SkyDigg4). #IrishintheWNBA http://t.co/rvJsOB5tVX 1 hour ago
- “Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.” -Tom Landry 2 hours ago
- Good luck to @_Breezy_Briii out in Colorado for @usabasketball! Going for the gold AGAIN🍀🇺🇸🍀🇺🇸🍀 1 day ago
- RT @jloyd32: thanks to everyone who voted for our @ndwbb videos it was great to see the love and the support #goirish 2 days ago
- All the players have headed home for break so it is officially the end of summer school! #MissThemAlready 🍀💚 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Guess who's back, back again. Jerian's back, tell a friend ... Part One of the @NDfidm series on @ThatGrant22: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/tnNW… 4 hours ago
- What are you doing on Tuesday night in the 'Bend? @NDMikeBrey is throwing out the @Silver_Hawks 1st pitch! Autograph signing to follow. ⚾️ 7 hours ago
- We have to vote for the @ndwbb seniors in the video contest! Who do you think made the best "class" video? WATCH: youtube.com/watch?v=216v3X… 5 days ago
- Through four appearances Pat (@PlanetPat24) is doing pretty well on the mound - can't wait to have him back at ND: http://t.co/1lXIoprgcN 6 days ago
- Get up Z.A.! #HSFlashbackPhotos @ZachEliAuguste http://t.co/mgMRoe7Ww6 1 week ago
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowers Win Two Gold Medals At World Under 23 Championships
- Football. Irish Will Open Training Camp At Culver Academies
- M. Golf. Three Irish Golfers Named Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholars
- M. Soccer. Irish In The Pros Update
- W. Basketball. From The Hardwood: One Amazing Week For Irish