Mar 15, 2013, 2:54 AM EST
As excited as Notre Dame might be to begin playing in the ACC, the Irish aren’t quite ready to say goodbye to the BIG EAST yet.
Trailing 17-4 early against Marquette, it had the makings of a long night in the World’s Most Famous Arena. The shots weren’t falling (the team started 2-for-16 from the field) and it seemed like the only bright spots that had carried over from Wednesday night were the adidas shoes and uniforms.
But Notre Dame went on a 25-8 run and took a four-point lead into the locker room, before outlasting the Golden Eagles during a back-and-forth second half, securing a 73-65 win at Madison Square Garden.
There were five ties and 13 lead changes. It was the type of exciting game you would expect out of the final BIG EAST tournament (or “final BIG EAST tournament as we know it,” I should say).
During the team’s meeting on Thursday morning, head coach Mike Brey urged Jerian Grant to not let mistakes get in his head, or in his way of making the next big play. The junior guard obviously heard his coach’s advice, finishing the game with 17, to go along with six rebounds and six assists.
Coming off the bench, Garrick Sherman played 24 minutes and scored 16 points, including 10 in the second half.
And for the second straight night, it was Pat Connaughton who led Notre Dame offensively. Though the Irish baseball team would probably love to have him on the mound, the sophomore is looking to play hoops deep into March. After scoring 21 points and making six threes on Wednesday, Connaughton tallied 18 on 6-for-10 shooting beyond the arc against Marquette. He’s 12-for-18 from three-point range in the tournament so far.
It was the second tournament meeting between the two Catholic schools, but unlike 2008, when #6 seed Marquette defeated #3 seed Notre Dame, this year, it was the Irish that pulled the #6-over-#3 upset. On a day after a Jesuit was selected to be the new pope, you might say this was a little victory for the Congregation of Holy Cross.
With the win, the Fighting Irish advance to their fourth straight BIG EAST semifinal, where for the third consecutive year, they will meet – who else? The Louisville Cardinals.
If you’re a BIG EAST junkie, it doesn’t get any better than Friday’s semifinal pairings. Conference heavyweights and founding members Syracuse and Georgetown battle at 7 pm, before recent rivals and future ACC foes Notre Dame and Louisville meet at 9:30ish. Both the Orange and Irish will be looking to avenge losses in last week’s regular season finales.
Notre Dame now finds itself one win away from earning its first (and last) coveted spot in Saturday’s BIG EAST championship game at The Garden. It only seems right that the Irish will have to go through Louisville to get there.
Rest up. Friday is going to be fun night to be a college hoops fan.
Side note: For a little added entertainment, check out Coach Brey encouraging Eric Atkins to bank in his free throw after air-balling his first attempt.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- #ndwbb game day shoot around at Virginia Tech's Cassell Coliseum! #GoIrish http://t.co/CWcMvqnRhD 1 hour ago
- Happy 19th Birthday @K_Westbeld33! Gameday & birthday - what could be better than that?! 🍀🎂🎈🎉 3 hours ago
- RT @KayYowFund: @ndwbb Sounds like a great event! Thank you for your support. Annual Pink Zone Brunch #Play4Kay news.nd.edu/news/55558-lyn… 4 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: It's Game Day in Blacksburg as @ndwbb takes on Virginia Tech (7 pm ET live on ESPN3/WatchESPN; listen live on @pulsefm/@W… 4 hours ago
- Congrats on the big win, @NDmbb! Way to #ProtectPurcell! 🍀🏀✊ 15 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- We had some surprise visitors to the Duke game - Coach Brey's son, Kyle, brought his boss, @YSUsports FB HC Bo Pelini http://t.co/ZKnrAKcZsP 48 minutes ago
- RT @ThatGrant22: Was jus makin sure. You guys were Big time! RT @LepLegion : We were not storming the court regardless. Expected to win. #W… 2 hours ago
- RT @bhans23: ND boys r rolling!! Starting to get that fresh smell of a player of the year coming up in South Bend..#stayhungry 4 hours ago
- For you early morning risers - take a look at Jerian's #SCTop10 plays last night & Steve's dagger 3 from ALL angles: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/1qeT… 7 hours ago
- RT @JackCooligan45: Yessss!!! Hell yeah IRISH!!! This team is special and getting wins like this is what they do!! Huge huge win. Jerian fo… 9 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Grant Leads No. 8 Notre Dame to 77-73 Victory Over Duke
- M. Lacrosse. Three Fighting Irish Players Selected In MLL Draft
- Softball. Koerner, Wester Named To 2015 USA Softball Collegiate Player Of The Year Watch List