Mar 14, 2013, 2:19 AM EDT
Notre Dame’s final appearance in the BIG EAST tournament got off to a great start on Wednesday night, as the #6 seed Irish held off a Rutgers rally to secure a 69-61 victory at Madison Square Garden.
The Irish were led by Pat Connaughton, who came through with one of the best performances of his young career, and certainly his best night of the 2012-13 season. The sophomore guard tallied a season-high 21 points on 7-for-10 shooting, including 6-for-8 from beyond the arc.
Connaughton’s effort was all the more impressive when you consider Notre Dame’s recent offensive struggles in the Garden. Anyone who watched the St. John’s game in January, last year’s semifinal loss to Louisville, or even the 2012 quarterfinal win against South Florida knows the MSG rims haven’t always been kind to the Irish.
Against the Scarlet Knights, Notre Dame shot 41.5% (nothing spectacular), but made 10 three-pointers, good for the team’s best outside shooting total since making 12 against Seton Hall on Jan. 5.
“We made big threes tonight,” head coach Mike Brey said. “That’s something I’d love to see us ride. I think we’re a team that could shoot the ball better than we shot it from the arc throughout the year. I would love to see this jump start us throughout the year. It’s a great weapon for us.”
While the outside shooting was key, we certainly cannot forget Tom Knight, who continues to put tiny Dixfield, Maine on the map. The senior forward scored a career-high 18 points and finished one rebound shy of his first career double-double.
Defensively, the Irish surrendered just 19 points in the first half, tying the fewest they have ever allowed in a BIG EAST tournament game. Coincidentally, that also came against Rutgers (Mar. 10, 2009).
With the win, Notre Dame improved to 10-17 all-time in the BIG EAST tournament, and 9-12 under Brey.
By week’s end, Brey hopes his Irish can notch three more victories to end the program’s tenure in the conference on the ultimate high note – much like the Notre Dame women’s team did on Tuesday in Hartford.
When asked about the BIG EAST tournament over the years, Brey has often talked about “getting to Saturday night,” and he reiterated that focus following the second round victory.
“We expect to be here a while, no question. We love New York City. I’ll take that over South Bend for a while, so we’re going to stay.”
In March, it’s all about survival, and on Wednesday, Notre Dame moved one step closer to Saturday night, surviving what they hope was the first of four rounds in the Big Apple.
The Irish are now 24-8 this season and will face #3 seed Marquette in Thursday’s fourth quarterfinal, where they look to avenge a recent 72-64 loss at the hands of the Eagles.
The game is scheduled for 9 pm ET, but should tip off closer to 9:30. You can watch it on ESPN or listen to the radio broadcast on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:19 | May 2, 2013
- #NDFAMILY - Become a Social Ambassador for @NotreDame on #NDday 2014! Click here to sign up sot.ag/2CyzW/ 25 minutes ago
- "Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen." -Michael Jordan 2 hours ago
- Last, but not least, a big THANK YOU to @NDfidm's Megan Bastedo&Lesea Broadcasting's Robin O'Sullivan for the time&work put into our videos! 13 hours ago
- RT @ndwbbsid: .@kaymac_2123 earns MVP honors to highlight Tuesday's 2013-14 @ndwbb awards banquet and Final Four celebration: http://t.co/t… 13 hours ago
- A SPECTACULAR banquet put on by our very own @SharSharND! Huge thanks to all the work she & her helpers put into this event! #EOYbanquet2014 14 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- See who we'll be playing during our next two ACC campaigns… tinyurl.com/kuu93dp 23 hours ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: How many times has Pat Connaughton (@PlanetPat24) been on ESPN this year? I don't know, but add another one tonight! h… 1 day ago
- We will be on @ESPNU tonight! Well, we won't, but Pat (@PlanetPat24) will! He takes the bump tonight for the rubber game against #11 Miami. 1 day ago
- .@gsherm11 registers double with 22 pts. and 10 rebs. in final game at Portsmouth Invitational as his team drops 85-71 decision. 3 days ago
- .@EAtkins0 with 5 pts. and 8 asts. in final game of Portsmouth Invit. as his K&D Rounds Landscaping team downs Mike Duman Auto Sales 87-69 3 days ago
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate
- Baseball. Irish Return To Region With Wednesday Matchup Against Central Michigan
- Softball. #21 Irish Split Midweek Doubleheader With North Carolina State
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame To Compete In First-Ever ACC Championship