Mar 14, 2013, 2:19 AM EDT
Notre Dame’s final appearance in the BIG EAST tournament got off to a great start on Wednesday night, as the #6 seed Irish held off a Rutgers rally to secure a 69-61 victory at Madison Square Garden.
The Irish were led by Pat Connaughton, who came through with one of the best performances of his young career, and certainly his best night of the 2012-13 season. The sophomore guard tallied a season-high 21 points on 7-for-10 shooting, including 6-for-8 from beyond the arc.
Connaughton’s effort was all the more impressive when you consider Notre Dame’s recent offensive struggles in the Garden. Anyone who watched the St. John’s game in January, last year’s semifinal loss to Louisville, or even the 2012 quarterfinal win against South Florida knows the MSG rims haven’t always been kind to the Irish.
Against the Scarlet Knights, Notre Dame shot 41.5% (nothing spectacular), but made 10 three-pointers, good for the team’s best outside shooting total since making 12 against Seton Hall on Jan. 5.
“We made big threes tonight,” head coach Mike Brey said. “That’s something I’d love to see us ride. I think we’re a team that could shoot the ball better than we shot it from the arc throughout the year. I would love to see this jump start us throughout the year. It’s a great weapon for us.”
While the outside shooting was key, we certainly cannot forget Tom Knight, who continues to put tiny Dixfield, Maine on the map. The senior forward scored a career-high 18 points and finished one rebound shy of his first career double-double.
Defensively, the Irish surrendered just 19 points in the first half, tying the fewest they have ever allowed in a BIG EAST tournament game. Coincidentally, that also came against Rutgers (Mar. 10, 2009).
With the win, Notre Dame improved to 10-17 all-time in the BIG EAST tournament, and 9-12 under Brey.
By week’s end, Brey hopes his Irish can notch three more victories to end the program’s tenure in the conference on the ultimate high note – much like the Notre Dame women’s team did on Tuesday in Hartford.
When asked about the BIG EAST tournament over the years, Brey has often talked about “getting to Saturday night,” and he reiterated that focus following the second round victory.
“We expect to be here a while, no question. We love New York City. I’ll take that over South Bend for a while, so we’re going to stay.”
In March, it’s all about survival, and on Wednesday, Notre Dame moved one step closer to Saturday night, surviving what they hope was the first of four rounds in the Big Apple.
The Irish are now 24-8 this season and will face #3 seed Marquette in Thursday’s fourth quarterfinal, where they look to avenge a recent 72-64 loss at the hands of the Eagles.
The game is scheduled for 9 pm ET, but should tip off closer to 9:30. You can watch it on ESPN or listen to the radio broadcast on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:20 | May 2, 2013
Kaila Turner Senior Speech - Notre Dame Women' Basketball
Length: 7:45 | April 24, 2013
Skylar Diggins Senior Speech - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 10:55 | April 24, 2013
Naismith Coach Of The Year - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 2:08 | April 24, 2013
- RT @KTurner_15: ND is a special place and soon I'll be able to say I am an alum from the best university in the country #NDfamily 🍀🎓 7 hours ago
- Wishing @NDsoftball good luck today vs the Hokies at 5pm on ESPN3!! Go Irish! 13 hours ago
- It's Gameday for @SkyDigg4 and @tulsashock in Seattle! Check her out at 10pm est.. #Irishalum #WNBA 16 hours ago
- Good luck to @NatAchon as she competes in @CanBball Senior Nat'l Team trials today thru Sunday in Hamilton, Ontario: basketball.ca/swnt-tryout-in…🏀 16 hours ago
- "When we are truly confident and secure, the opinions of others cannot control us"🍀 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Men's Basketball 2012-13 Team Awardwinners
Length: 10:12 | April 18, 2013
Jack Nolan Surprised With Notre Dame Honorary Monogram
Length: 5:56 | April 18, 2013
Jack Cooley Gets Engaged At Evening With Notre Dame Basketball
Length: 1:38 | April 18, 2013
Reinvention - Notre Dame Men's Basketball Blueprint for Success
Length: 22:38 | April 11, 2013
- The voice of #NDmbb @NDJackNolan is going on vacation. Check out what he's listening to on @Spotify spoti.fi/17EShN5 #SafeTravels 18 hours ago
- Congrats to Steve Vasturia who was surprised during ceremony at high school by having his No. 32 retired: tinyurl.com/avr75mp 1 day ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Finished my 1st ACC mtgs. What a powerful basketball conference that has become. It will quickly become the league to get 8… 1 day ago
- RT @IrishCompliance: If a student-athlete is training in your gym or using your personal training services this summer, he/she must be char… 2 days ago
- The next step begins May 19th bit.ly/17lkw3r #ND2013 4 days ago
- Baseball. Irish Even Series With 9-1 Rout Of Cincinnati
- Softball. Virginia Tech Outlasts Irish 4-3 In Game One Of Lexington Regional
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Set For 11-Day European Trip
- Baseball. Irish Drop Series Opener At Cincinnati, 9-5
- Track. 24 Irish Track And Field Standouts Selected To NCAA East Preliminary Round