Mar 12, 2013, 2:38 PM EDT
What had long been speculated became official this morning: Notre Dame will play in the Atlantic Coast Conference next season.
This is it. In every practical sense, today marks the start of the final BIG EAST tournament.
Sure, the Catholic 7/new BIG EAST will continue the tradition, but it won’t be the same. Not without Syracuse and Pittsburgh. Not without Notre Dame and Louisville.
It’s like that final scene in The Sandlot, where Smalls talks about everyone moving away. The park where he and Squints, Yeah Yeah, Ham Porter, Benny The Jet and the rest of the gang spent summer after summer was still there, but slowly, it became part of the past – a fond memory to look back on, but never quite the same.
For the BIG EAST, that ball field is Madison Square Garden.
It’s a venue that has hosted everything from national political conventions and boxing matches to track meets and sold-out concerts, not to mention the thousands of basketball and hockey games that the Knicks, Rangers and a host of other teams have played at the storied stage in midtown Manhattan.
The Concert for New York City, the NBA Draft, the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus – the list goes on, and on, and on. I suppose that’s why they call it The World’s Most Famous Arena.
Year in and year out, five consecutive days of basketball, countless exciting contests and incredible late-game heroics.
The distinguished blue and orange court, the creak of the famous freight elevator, and the aroma of popcorn and beer – albeit stale – among the great sights, sounds and smells of an arena that has forgotten more memorable moments than any of us have ever even seen.
Truthfully, leaving MSG behind might not be a bad thing for Notre Dame. The Irish are 56-47 all-time in the arena, but just 1-4 in their last five trips. Anyone who’s been down on the court can tell you it just feels unlike any other venue. The lighting is different, and The Garden rims haven’t always been kind to the blue & gold.
There’s no doubt Notre Dame will return to the old arena near 33rd and 8th. It may be next year, perhaps the year after. But never again, will it do so for the BIG EAST tournament.
I guess that’s some added incentive to make a run at Saturday night.
It all starts tomorrow at 9:00 pm ET on ESPN2 against the winner of Tuesday’s DePaul/Rutgers game.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:19 | May 2, 2013
- RT @GoIrishCoachO: Great Job @ruthriley00 for your inspiring words at the Food Bank of Northern Indiana!!! Proud of you!💚 14 hours ago
- A very proud and close #NDFamily! #coaches #players #teammates WE ARE...ND 🍀🏀🍀 http://t.co/KOR7fi5rqv 14 hours ago
- So proud of the efforts made by @ruthriley00 on and off the court. Today, she is the keynote speaker… instagram.com/p/m5gYO2vFDB/ 15 hours ago
- It's a pleasure to be invited and recognized at the @FoodBkNIndiana's annual luncheon! 15 hours ago
- #tbt to Easter 2013 at NCAA Regionals- Norfolk... quality family time! #eggcoloring http://t.co/mXpJMooJwJ 18 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- .@gsherm11's squad bests @EAtkins0 team at Portsmouth Invitational with 92-91 win...EA has 9 pts and 10 asts., while Sherm nets 19 pts. 9 hours ago
- .@EAtkins0 and @gsherm11 square off against each other today at 3:15. Follow all the action at: tinyurl.com/cobtza7 16 hours ago
- .@EAtkins0 played 30 minutes for K&D Rounds Landscaping and had 5 its, 5 asts. and 3 st.s for his K&D Rounds Landscaping in 71-66 loss. 16 hours ago
- From the Portsmouth Invitational last night ... @gsherm11 led his Portsmouth Sports Club team with 19 points and 11 rebounds in 77-74 loss. 16 hours ago
- Action gets underway this evening for @EAtkins0 and @gsherm11 at Portsouth Invitational ...Follow all the action at: tinyurl.com/cobtza7 1 day ago
- Track. Men Finish Day One Of ACCs In Fourth, Women In Tenth
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Make First Appearance At Virginia This Weekend
- W. Golf. Notre Dame Tied For Fifth Following First Day Of ACC Women's Golf Championship
- M. Lacrosse. Fighting Irish Await Tough Test From The Terps
- Fencing. Three NCAA Champions In Three Days: A Landmark Weekend in the History of Notre Dame Athletics