Mar 4, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
From football’s goal line stand in the rain against Stanford, to men’s basketball knocking off #1 Syracuse last season and outfighting Louisville in five overtimes last month, I’ve seen a lot of special athletic moments during my time at Notre Dame.
Tonight, the second-ranked Notre Dame women’s basketball program added another one to that growing list.
Battling their biggest rival, Connecticut, in the regular season finale, the Fighting Irish showed tremendous resiliency, and emerged with a 96-87 triple overtime victory before a sellout crowd at Purcell Pavilion.
Skylar Diggins refused to lose in her last game in front of the hometown fans. The All-American played all 55 minutes, scored 29 points and grabbed 11 rebounds, carrying the team down the stretch. Kayla McBride added a career-high 26, none bigger than her game-tying three with time running out in the first overtime.
It was the 23rd straight victory for Notre Dame, and the team’s 28th of the season. The Irish completed a perfect 16-0 BIG EAST campaign to earn their second consecutive regular season conference title.
Check out the full recap on UND.com for more.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Thankful Tuesday! @busta_reimes on her signing day with @MuffetMcGraw! IRISH fans lookout for this super sophomore 🍀🙌 http://t.co/Tj7lR9LeIb 9 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Join us tomorrow for @ndwbb at #ACCmediaday … @MuffetMcGraw and @jloyd32 to represent ND … tweet your questions for them … 9 hours ago
- Thankful Tuesday! @_Breezy_Briii on signing day! This young star will be so fun to watch this year! #futureisBRIGHT🍀🌟 http://t.co/F4e90sd5gc 16 hours ago
- RT @FHS_Girls_Hoops: Great to see Fairmont alum Kathryn Westbeld, @K_Westbeld33 up at the Trent Arena yesterday! Best of luck to her and @n… 17 hours ago
- Just finished a great practice with the amazing Coach Izzo and @MSU_Basketball! So grateful for the opportunity! http://t.co/JMxTWEgeho 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.