Feb 20, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Near the end of last night’s basketball game between #1 Indiana and #4 Michigan State, it appeared the Breslin Center clock operator made an embarrassing blunder.
On back-to-back plays with under 30 seconds to play, the clock failed to start. First, on a Michigan State possession, and later, as the Hoosiers tried to inbound the ball.
As the referees went to the review monitor, viewers across the nation took to Twitter (as they so often do), throwing jabs at the unidentified MSU clock operator for failing to start the clock at a crucial time in a close game.
Though the game had nothing to do with Notre Dame, we work in an athletics office, so naturally, it was a topic of discussion in the office this morning.
In talking with Fighting Irish Digital Media associate producer (and resident technology geek) Gary Paczesny, I learned that, in fact, every fan’s favorite target – the officating crew – may have actually been at fault.
As Gary pointed out, Note 11 in the Rules Supplement section of the 2011-12 and 2012-13 NCAA Basketball Men’s and Women’s Rules states,
It is recommended that all men’s Division I arenas provide a timing mechanism that enables the officials to start and stop the game clock automatically.
Using the Precision Time System, on-court officials can start and stop the clock on their own. The time can be started using a belt pack and stopped by the blow of a whistle.
I began to wonder if the Spartans are not among the teams that use the technology, but according to the Precision Time System site, MSU has adopted it, as have most of the other Big Ten schools.
By that measure, it looks like there were a few people snoozing during crunch time.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- "This college cannot fail to succeed" http://t.co/s9UjlWbMNv 17 hours ago
- RT @SouthBendRotary: Thanks @MuffetMcGraw and @ndwbb for supporting Rotary's Purple Pinkies for Polio: youtu.be/udC5NM7xPdY! 1 day ago
- RT @IrishCoachIvey: Great day to be IRISH #sothankful🍀🙌 1 day ago
- And there's a magic, in the sound of her name....🍀 http://t.co/Lm23LR7Vwg 1 day ago
- RT @fhallallen: FORTUNATE to work w/ another Championship caliber contender today @ndwbb. THX @MuffetMcGraw, @GoIrishCoachO, @IrishCoachIve… 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: I'm hoping Coach Brey and Coach Izzo don these outfits for their B1G/ACC Challenge showdown on Dec. 3rd in South Bend … 18 hours ago
- Our program was built on bringing our community #together. We were honored to help @SJCHabitat with Friday's build! http://t.co/4mniE0fmd7 1 day ago
- We've unveiled our new @UnderArmour uniforms with two legendary icons - @DickieV & the @BlueAngels. Who's next? http://t.co/wdbUx8GVKA 1 day ago
- RT @EAtkins0: VJ is going to have a big year this year I can feel it...just has to stay aggressive and the rest is #EasyMoney 1 day ago
- We know where Brant is sitting, where are you sitting this year? RT@NDBrantUst View from my seats for the '14-'15 @NDmbb season, can't wait! 1 day ago
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Pick Up Key ACC Win Over Virginia Tech, 3-1
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Loses Five Setter At Virginia
- M. Golf. Strong Second Round Vaults Wingo Into Top 25 After Day One Of Bridgestone Golf Collegiate
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf In Eighth Place After Two Rounds At Landfall Tradition
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish Face Louisville On Senior Day Sunday At Alumni Stadium