Feb 20, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Near the end of last night’s basketball game between #1 Indiana and #4 Michigan State, it appeared the Breslin Center clock operator made an embarrassing blunder.
On back-to-back plays with under 30 seconds to play, the clock failed to start. First, on a Michigan State possession, and later, as the Hoosiers tried to inbound the ball.
As the referees went to the review monitor, viewers across the nation took to Twitter (as they so often do), throwing jabs at the unidentified MSU clock operator for failing to start the clock at a crucial time in a close game.
Though the game had nothing to do with Notre Dame, we work in an athletics office, so naturally, it was a topic of discussion in the office this morning.
In talking with Fighting Irish Digital Media associate producer (and resident technology geek) Gary Paczesny, I learned that, in fact, every fan’s favorite target – the officating crew – may have actually been at fault.
As Gary pointed out, Note 11 in the Rules Supplement section of the 2011-12 and 2012-13 NCAA Basketball Men’s and Women’s Rules states,
It is recommended that all men’s Division I arenas provide a timing mechanism that enables the officials to start and stop the game clock automatically.
Using the Precision Time System, on-court officials can start and stop the clock on their own. The time can be started using a belt pack and stopped by the blow of a whistle.
I began to wonder if the Spartans are not among the teams that use the technology, but according to the Precision Time System site, MSU has adopted it, as have most of the other Big Ten schools.
By that measure, it looks like there were a few people snoozing during crunch time.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:19 | May 2, 2013
- Watch the behind the scenes of @kaymac_2123 and @NatAchon's experience at the 2014 @WNBA Draft! #IrishintheWNBA watchnd.tv/#!/videos/95bj… 11 hours ago
- VERY PROUD of @_Breezy_Briii named @USATODAYhss National HS Player of the Year! 🍀🏀🍀 WAY TO GO, Bri!! usatodayhss.com/amfam/article/… 15 hours ago
- RT @kaymac_2123: Thanking God for allowing me another day! #blessed 16 hours ago
- Recently overheard: "I'm tiiiired." The sounds of 6:00AM morning workouts with @NDCoachCheek! #notdoneyet 17 hours ago
- Thankful for the hardwork of our student managers, Kelly & Megan! Congratulations on becoming @NDMonogram winners! http://t.co/mg4BsA3lTG 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- Action gets underway this evening for @EAtkins0 and @gsherm11 at Portsouth Invitational ...Follow all the action at: tinyurl.com/cobtza7 8 hours ago
- RT @NDfidm: Here are @NDMikeBrey comments and highlights of @NDmbb newest member - Matt Farrell - WatchND.tv/#!/videos/p5aj… 12 hours ago
- Notre Dame welcomes Matt Farrell to the Irish basketball family: tinyurl.com/o2x62ec 12 hours ago
- Congrats to our former player Tim Andree (@Tandree41) on officially becoming a Lawyer! (Photo from Tim's Instagram) http://t.co/KML9wrPXBN 14 hours ago
- Congrats to our student managers, Joe Krug and Tim Fulnecky, on receiving their @NDMonogram Club letter jackets! http://t.co/vCiz7XfuXb 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. New Jersey Guard Matt Farrell Set To Join Notre Dame Men's Basketball Program
- Fencing. Fencing Signs Five Freshmen To Next Year's Team
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Loses at No. 13 Ohio State, 12-9
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Close Homestand Against Toledo Wednesday
- W. Rowing. Rowing Recap: Onward To Michigan