Feb 20, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Near the end of last night’s basketball game between #1 Indiana and #4 Michigan State, it appeared the Breslin Center clock operator made an embarrassing blunder.
On back-to-back plays with under 30 seconds to play, the clock failed to start. First, on a Michigan State possession, and later, as the Hoosiers tried to inbound the ball.
As the referees went to the review monitor, viewers across the nation took to Twitter (as they so often do), throwing jabs at the unidentified MSU clock operator for failing to start the clock at a crucial time in a close game.
Though the game had nothing to do with Notre Dame, we work in an athletics office, so naturally, it was a topic of discussion in the office this morning.
In talking with Fighting Irish Digital Media associate producer (and resident technology geek) Gary Paczesny, I learned that, in fact, every fan’s favorite target – the officating crew – may have actually been at fault.
As Gary pointed out, Note 11 in the Rules Supplement section of the 2011-12 and 2012-13 NCAA Basketball Men’s and Women’s Rules states,
It is recommended that all men’s Division I arenas provide a timing mechanism that enables the officials to start and stop the game clock automatically.
Using the Precision Time System, on-court officials can start and stop the clock on their own. The time can be started using a belt pack and stopped by the blow of a whistle.
I began to wonder if the Spartans are not among the teams that use the technology, but according to the Precision Time System site, MSU has adopted it, as have most of the other Big Ten schools.
By that measure, it looks like there were a few people snoozing during crunch time.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Thankful Tuesday! @_Breezy_Briii on signing day! This young star will be so fun to watch this year! #futureisBRIGHT🍀🌟 http://t.co/F4e90sd5gc 3 hours ago
- RT @FHS_Girls_Hoops: Great to see Fairmont alum Kathryn Westbeld, @K_Westbeld33 up at the Trent Arena yesterday! Best of luck to her and @n… 3 hours ago
- Just finished a great practice with the amazing Coach Izzo and @MSU_Basketball! So grateful for the opportunity! http://t.co/JMxTWEgeho 17 hours ago
- Sold out season tix for 6th straight year, now looking to sell out '14-15 single-game tix - on sale Thurs 8:30 am ET via @NDTIX #PACKEDhouse 22 hours ago
- Thanks to Jeff Nix and Coach Stan Van Gundy for letting us watch the @DetroitPistons practice! Good luck this year🍀🏀 http://t.co/0vxNCF29wL 23 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- HIGHWAY TO THE DANGER ZONE ... ✈️🍀🏀 Coach with the @BlueAngels continues high above Pensacola, Florida. http://t.co/pAmhVNBnFa 2 hours ago
- Godspeed @NDMikeBrey! The @BlueAngels and Lt. Chamberlain will take good care of you! ✈️🍀🏀 vine.co/v/Ob2nl2uTr0t 2 hours ago
- Coach @NDMikeBrey hops in the @BlueAngels F-18 Hornet and he's hearing Kenny Loggins in his head! #DangerZone http://t.co/7yjewxP5Wn 2 hours ago
- RT @BlueAngels: Coach @NDMikeBrey is in the #BlueAngels house today! Getting briefed my #7CC AO1 Eli Lang! @notredame @NDmbb http://t.co/CG… 3 hours ago
- What is our Head Coach @NDMikeBrey doing on his day off? Just taking a little plane flight with the @BlueAngels: http://t.co/KxBT8BqZ6W 3 hours ago
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Up Competition At Midwest Regionals
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Irish Have The Right Road Formula
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Squad Completes Upset Weekend To Claim USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Crown
- W. Soccer. Elizabeth Tucker from University of Notre Dame Named 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Tennis. Irish Upset Irish, Earn Bid Into Doubles Championship At Midwest Regionals