Feb 19, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT
The Fighting Irish (24-1, 12-0 BIG EAST) have had a dominant season to say the least. They are currently ranked second in the NCAA behind only Brittney Griner and the Lady Bears of Baylor. Their nearly flawless record is one telling number, but how do their other statistics line up against their toughest opponents?
To start, the Notre Dame women are averaging 80.7 points per game (through 25 games), good for third place behind Connecticut (83.0) and Baylor (81.7). Their scoring defense, 55.8 ppg, doesn’t crack the top 10 this year, but when coupled with their super productive offense, it gives them a scoring margin of +24.9, which is fourth best in the country.
Many of Notre Dame’s totals in the other standard statistics (e.g. field goal percentage, assists per game) are on par with Connecticut and Baylor, but there are couple of areas where the Fighting Irish stand out.
The Notre Dame women are second, nationally, in free throw percentage, with 79.6% made, behind Utah State (80.4%), and none of the other top five teams in the country even crack the top 25 for this statistic. This discrepancy balances out Notre Dame’s lower three-point total, but it seems a smart strategy to take the easy, uncontested shots rather than the low-percentage shots from beyond the arc.
The other stat that the Irish have over Baylor and Connecticut (and most other teams in the NCAA) is rebound margin. With 43.3 rebounds per game and 31.5 opponent rebounds per game, they have a +11.8 margin. Combining that with a positive turnover margin gives the Fighting Irish more opportunities than their opponents to take shots, and when those shots go in with a higher percentage than most teams, you get a +24.9 scoring margin and a number two rank.
The Notre Dame women defeated Marquette this past Sunday, to win their 19th straight game (last time they lost was Dec. 5). They will travel to Chicago next Sunday to take on DePaul for another BIG EAST matchup. On the horizon is their Mar. 4 rematch against the Connecticut Huskies in the final game of the regular season.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: SPOTTED! @NDwbb and @NDFootball at Alumni Stadium for @NDSoccer vs UNC. #ComeByAlumni #IrishOn3 5 hours ago
- Thankyou to Welsh Family Hall for including us & the YWCA in their Kiss-A-Pig charity event today! #NDfam #givingback http://t.co/WC5YeL43MF 5 hours ago
- GAME DAY for our ND women's soccer team! We need everybody to #ComeByAlumni at 7pm to support!! #NDvUNC http://t.co/rj8JzawxHG 13 hours ago
- In #USABWNT's 2nd exhibition game, @SkyDigg4 & @kaymac_2123 will face China... NOW! (10am ET) Live stats available: fibalivestats.com/matches/3886/1… 15 hours ago
- RT @NDCoachCheek: .@ndwbb conditioning today was lights-out-stellar. My jump shot however, was not. 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Coach Brey took in the @NASCAR race at @ChicagolndSpdwy with 1990 alum @Scott_Paddock - relive the day. CLICK: fightingirish.tumblr.com/post/977318931… 🏁🍀🏀 3 days ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: We’ll be on North & South Quad today from 11am-1pm signing @LepLegion teams up for our @GrassrootSoccer Lose the Shoes tou… 3 days ago
- Get to know one of our new frosh's - Matt Farrell (@MattyFarr3) - CLICK HERE: fightingirish.tumblr.com/post/976471937… 🍀🏀🍀 4 days ago
- RT @NASCAR47: .@NotreDame Men's Basketball coach @NDMikeBrey visits with @AJDinger in the #47 hauler. #DINGERNATION http://t.co/q0X4m5WlZc 5 days ago
- RT @TheMikeBagley: Hanging with Notre Dame Men's BBall Coach Mike Brey in the @ChicagolndSpdwy Cup Garage http://t.co/lZL4pibcDQ 5 days ago
- W. Volleyball. No. 11 Purdue Takes Down Notre Dame, 3-0
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Continues Play At Fighting Illini Invitational And Farnsworth Ivy Invitational
- W. Soccer. #18/12 Irish Drop 2OT Heartbreaker To #9/8 North Carolina, 3-2
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA: Blackhawk's Stephen Johns Feeling Right At Home At Notre Dame
- M. Golf. Irish Set For First Windon Memorial Classic Appearance Since 2004