Feb 19, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT
The Fighting Irish (24-1, 12-0 BIG EAST) have had a dominant season to say the least. They are currently ranked second in the NCAA behind only Brittney Griner and the Lady Bears of Baylor. Their nearly flawless record is one telling number, but how do their other statistics line up against their toughest opponents?
To start, the Notre Dame women are averaging 80.7 points per game (through 25 games), good for third place behind Connecticut (83.0) and Baylor (81.7). Their scoring defense, 55.8 ppg, doesn’t crack the top 10 this year, but when coupled with their super productive offense, it gives them a scoring margin of +24.9, which is fourth best in the country.
Many of Notre Dame’s totals in the other standard statistics (e.g. field goal percentage, assists per game) are on par with Connecticut and Baylor, but there are couple of areas where the Fighting Irish stand out.
The Notre Dame women are second, nationally, in free throw percentage, with 79.6% made, behind Utah State (80.4%), and none of the other top five teams in the country even crack the top 25 for this statistic. This discrepancy balances out Notre Dame’s lower three-point total, but it seems a smart strategy to take the easy, uncontested shots rather than the low-percentage shots from beyond the arc.
The other stat that the Irish have over Baylor and Connecticut (and most other teams in the NCAA) is rebound margin. With 43.3 rebounds per game and 31.5 opponent rebounds per game, they have a +11.8 margin. Combining that with a positive turnover margin gives the Fighting Irish more opportunities than their opponents to take shots, and when those shots go in with a higher percentage than most teams, you get a +24.9 scoring margin and a number two rank.
The Notre Dame women defeated Marquette this past Sunday, to win their 19th straight game (last time they lost was Dec. 5). They will travel to Chicago next Sunday to take on DePaul for another BIG EAST matchup. On the horizon is their Mar. 4 rematch against the Connecticut Huskies in the final game of the regular season.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:20 | May 2, 2013
Kaila Turner Senior Speech - Notre Dame Women' Basketball
Length: 7:45 | April 24, 2013
Skylar Diggins Senior Speech - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 10:55 | April 24, 2013
Naismith Coach Of The Year - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 2:08 | April 24, 2013
- RT @MuffetMcGraw: I met bill Walton last night and he said he really enjoyed watching our team play! He liked our passing - teamwork- & we… 18 hours ago
- RT @KTurner_15: ND is a special place and soon I'll be able to say I am an alum from the best university in the country #NDfamily 🍀🎓 1 day ago
- Wishing @NDsoftball good luck today vs the Hokies at 5pm on ESPN3!! Go Irish! 1 day ago
- It's Gameday for @SkyDigg4 and @tulsashock in Seattle! Check her out at 10pm est.. #Irishalum #WNBA 1 day ago
- Good luck to @NatAchon as she competes in @CanBball Senior Nat'l Team trials today thru Sunday in Hamilton, Ontario: basketball.ca/swnt-tryout-in…🏀 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Men's Basketball 2012-13 Team Awardwinners
Length: 10:12 | April 18, 2013
Jack Nolan Surprised With Notre Dame Honorary Monogram
Length: 5:56 | April 18, 2013
Jack Cooley Gets Engaged At Evening With Notre Dame Basketball
Length: 1:38 | April 18, 2013
Reinvention - Notre Dame Men's Basketball Blueprint for Success
Length: 22:38 | April 11, 2013
- Congratulations to the Class of 2013. Very best wishes on the next part of your journey #ND2013 #WeAreND 17 hours ago
- The voice of #NDmbb @NDJackNolan is going on vacation. Check out what he's listening to on @Spotify spoti.fi/17EShN5 #SafeTravels 1 day ago
- Congrats to Steve Vasturia who was surprised during ceremony at high school by having his No. 32 retired: tinyurl.com/avr75mp 2 days ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Finished my 1st ACC mtgs. What a powerful basketball conference that has become. It will quickly become the league to get 8… 2 days ago
- RT @IrishCompliance: If a student-athlete is training in your gym or using your personal training services this summer, he/she must be char… 3 days ago
- Baseball. Irish Drop Regular Season, Series Finale At Cincinnati, 11-5
- Softball. Irish Bow Out Of NCAA Championship
- W. Rowing. Irish Look For 10th Straight BIG EAST Title Sunday
- Baseball. Irish Even Series With 9-1 Rout Of Cincinnati
- Softball. Virginia Tech Outlasts Irish 4-3 In Game One Of Lexington Regional