Feb 19, 2013, 3:54 PM EST
The Fighting Irish (24-1, 12-0 BIG EAST) have had a dominant season to say the least. They are currently ranked second in the NCAA behind only Brittney Griner and the Lady Bears of Baylor. Their nearly flawless record is one telling number, but how do their other statistics line up against their toughest opponents?
To start, the Notre Dame women are averaging 80.7 points per game (through 25 games), good for third place behind Connecticut (83.0) and Baylor (81.7). Their scoring defense, 55.8 ppg, doesn’t crack the top 10 this year, but when coupled with their super productive offense, it gives them a scoring margin of +24.9, which is fourth best in the country.
Many of Notre Dame’s totals in the other standard statistics (e.g. field goal percentage, assists per game) are on par with Connecticut and Baylor, but there are couple of areas where the Fighting Irish stand out.
The Notre Dame women are second, nationally, in free throw percentage, with 79.6% made, behind Utah State (80.4%), and none of the other top five teams in the country even crack the top 25 for this statistic. This discrepancy balances out Notre Dame’s lower three-point total, but it seems a smart strategy to take the easy, uncontested shots rather than the low-percentage shots from beyond the arc.
The other stat that the Irish have over Baylor and Connecticut (and most other teams in the NCAA) is rebound margin. With 43.3 rebounds per game and 31.5 opponent rebounds per game, they have a +11.8 margin. Combining that with a positive turnover margin gives the Fighting Irish more opportunities than their opponents to take shots, and when those shots go in with a higher percentage than most teams, you get a +24.9 scoring margin and a number two rank.
The Notre Dame women defeated Marquette this past Sunday, to win their 19th straight game (last time they lost was Dec. 5). They will travel to Chicago next Sunday to take on DePaul for another BIG EAST matchup. On the horizon is their Mar. 4 rematch against the Connecticut Huskies in the final game of the regular season.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @IrishCoachIvey: Supporting our coaching friend djobanion #CoachesforCoachD #faithFULL🍀💚💚💚💚💚 instagram.com/p/yQeWKCNv7j/ 8 hours ago
- RT @jbodenst: We have amazing fans! @ndwbb Well over 100 people came out to see us at Clemson! http://t.co/98ZAbC1oLY 9 hours ago
- All of our Irish Family supporting @DJOBanion! #faithFULL #Coaches4CoachD 💚 http://t.co/dZVZDv7PNn 9 hours ago
- Here is the final infographic for our 74-36 win over Clemson! @jloyd32 led the team with 17 points and 8 rebounds http://t.co/X5x72ENq4b 9 hours ago
- At the final media timeout of the game, the Irish lead Clemson 70-31. 3:35 left to play 10 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Our guys are getting some court time at PNC Arena on NC State's campus. #8 ND vs NCSU 6:30pm - Sunday - ESPNU http://t.co/HAr9dVpAXT 10 hours ago
- "No Belt, No Problem" The Bonzie Colson Story http://t.co/SGjQeKANyU 14 hours ago
- WIN TIX TO SYRACUSE GAME! HOW? 1-Vote for Brey & @ACSCvC -> ntrda.me/BreyCvCvote 2-Send a screenshot 3-You're entered! #LastDayToVote 18 hours ago
- DEFINE "THE CAPTAIN" - It means leader, consistent, mentor & rebounds ... lots & lots of rebounds. #Together http://t.co/O8XT1962hd 1 day ago
- RT @NDTIX: ICYMI: Check out this @NDmbb Top 10 Special! $10 tix for Boston College & Wake Forest. bit.ly/MBTop10Special http://t.co/SFLo1X… 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. #8/9 Notre Dame Travels To NC State For Sunday Showdown
- M. Ice Hockey. Late Goal Lifts Northeastern Past Notre Dame, 3-2
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Mabrey Helps Irish East Past Georgia Tech
- Baseball. IRISH EXTRA: The Influence of a Baseball Hall of Famer
- M. Basketball. Irish Extra: Irish Breeze in Blacksburg