Feb 19, 2013, 3:54 PM EST
The Fighting Irish (24-1, 12-0 BIG EAST) have had a dominant season to say the least. They are currently ranked second in the NCAA behind only Brittney Griner and the Lady Bears of Baylor. Their nearly flawless record is one telling number, but how do their other statistics line up against their toughest opponents?
To start, the Notre Dame women are averaging 80.7 points per game (through 25 games), good for third place behind Connecticut (83.0) and Baylor (81.7). Their scoring defense, 55.8 ppg, doesn’t crack the top 10 this year, but when coupled with their super productive offense, it gives them a scoring margin of +24.9, which is fourth best in the country.
Many of Notre Dame’s totals in the other standard statistics (e.g. field goal percentage, assists per game) are on par with Connecticut and Baylor, but there are couple of areas where the Fighting Irish stand out.
The Notre Dame women are second, nationally, in free throw percentage, with 79.6% made, behind Utah State (80.4%), and none of the other top five teams in the country even crack the top 25 for this statistic. This discrepancy balances out Notre Dame’s lower three-point total, but it seems a smart strategy to take the easy, uncontested shots rather than the low-percentage shots from beyond the arc.
The other stat that the Irish have over Baylor and Connecticut (and most other teams in the NCAA) is rebound margin. With 43.3 rebounds per game and 31.5 opponent rebounds per game, they have a +11.8 margin. Combining that with a positive turnover margin gives the Fighting Irish more opportunities than their opponents to take shots, and when those shots go in with a higher percentage than most teams, you get a +24.9 scoring margin and a number two rank.
The Notre Dame women defeated Marquette this past Sunday, to win their 19th straight game (last time they lost was Dec. 5). They will travel to Chicago next Sunday to take on DePaul for another BIG EAST matchup. On the horizon is their Mar. 4 rematch against the Connecticut Huskies in the final game of the regular season.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:20 | May 2, 2013
- "Bye bye bye" to the cold--take us back to Raleigh! #TBT of @NotreDameSWD 's SAAC VP & wbb rep leading karaoke night! http://t.co/DCESK1Ql4n 3 hours ago
- "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out!" -John Wooden 8 hours ago
- We're hosting the 2014 @NCAA Regional Games! Be sure to contact @NDTIX to order your tickets! http://t.co/8FXwmZOON6 1 day ago
- Safe travels and the best of luck to @NDMenSoccer who heads to Philly today for the #FinalFour!🍀🍀 #NDFamily 1 day ago
- "Don't count the days... Make the days count!" -Muhammad Ali 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- VJ joins Coach Brey and host @NDJackNolan tonight at 7pm for the Mike Brey Radio Show at O'Rourke's on Eddy Street. Come on out! 1 hour ago
- THROWBACK THURSDAY - Assistant Coach Anthony Solomon - #HighRelease #Fade #Irish #Hoops #NotreDame instagram.com/p/h1bo1jwicr/ 2 hours ago
- RT @NDJackNolan: V.J. Beachem @VB3ND is the player guest on The Mike Brey Radio tonight at 7pm at O'Rourke's. Come on buy and meet V.J. and… 6 hours ago
- End of presser. Irish play Indiana at 3:15 p.m. Saturday in Indianapolis in the Crossroads Classic. 6 hours ago
- Brey: I will show some clips in the hotel tomorrow night from Iowa where we were rolling on offense … message is let's get it going again. 6 hours ago