Feb 15, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
The Fighting Irish’s decisive victory over tenth-ranked BIG EAST rival Louisville Monday night was a further testament to the dominance of this year’s elite women’s college basketball teams.
Notre Dame (23-1, 11-0 BIG EAST) remains ranked second in the NCAA behind Baylor, the only team to beat the Irish, and first in the BIG EAST. Connecticut and Stanford are third and fourth overall, but the way these four teams have matched up against each other this season, it’s difficult to say any one team is much better than the others.
Notre Dame’s only games left against (currently) ranked opponents are #23 Syracuse (Feb. 26) and #3 Connecticut (Mar. 4). Connecticut has #2 Notre Dame and #1 Baylor. Baylor has #3 Connecticut and #22 Oklahoma. And Stanford has #15 UCLA. Barring anything wild, the top four will hold (though not necessarily in the current order), and each of these teams will receive a first seed in the NCAA tournament that begins on March 23rd.
Last year’s tournament was exciting, but some might say a little bit too predictable. The Elite Eight was comprised of the first and second seeds from each region, the Final Four was the four top seeds (which, unsurprisingly, were Baylor, Stanford, Connecticut, and Notre Dame), the championship was between two #1 seeds, and the champion was the undefeated Baylor team, led by Brittney Griner.
That consistency with the pre-tournament rankings is a stark contrast to the volatility that usually characterizes the men’s tournament and shows how the elite women’s teams are pretty much a level beyond.
Will there be a rematch of last year’s championship? Will any team be able to topple Baylor now that Stanford has drawn blood? Between the remaining regular season match-ups and the inevitable tournament match-ups, we have numerous exciting clashes of women’s college basketball’s top teams ahead of us.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Out of our EIGHT "Big Monday" games in the past 3 yrs, #ndwbb has 3 wins vs Tennessee, 2 wins vs UConn, AND 2 wins vs Louisville!!! 🍀🏀🏆 2 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: It's official - @ndwbb to play on ESPN2's "Big Monday" 3 times this year … no team in nation will appear more often: http… 2 hours ago
- RT @NotreDame: For the 1st time in nearly a century, #NotreDame announces a new school-the Donald R. Keough School of Global Affairs http:/… 3 hours ago
- Coaches meeting with the legendary Digger Phelps! 🍀 #NDfam http://t.co/5jRsDq8cFP 3 hours ago
- RT @meadows_erika: I'm just ready to watch some @ndwbb 🍀🏀 4 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- We can't release all our @UnderArmour kicks for 2014-15, but we can release these three - 🏀🍀👟 #3MoreColorsToCome http://t.co/ZUbyPvr1oc 2 days ago
- Z.A. (@ZachEliAuguste) throws it down (multiple times) over Bonzie (@Bacolson35) during team video/photo shoot WATCH: instagram.com/p/tfpnWQwiT6/ 3 days ago
- Who will win in a battle between Jerian Grant (@ThatGrant22) and @NotreDame student Jeffrey? #SidewalkShootout WATCH: instagram.com/p/tbQvpkQidg/ 4 days ago
- It's #SidewalkShootout Karaoke time with @Austin_Torres0, @MattyFarr3 & @Bacolson35. WATCH: instagram.com/p/tbOW3bQiZ9/ 4 days ago
- Z.A. (@ZachEliAuguste) gets up! Now get over to library quad for some free food & take on our squad #SidewalkShootout http://t.co/xMiRso7NAB 4 days ago