Feb 15, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
As students’ families arrive on campus for Junior Parents Weekend, many Fighting Irish teams are hitting the road. The #21 Notre Dame men’s basketball squad is no exception, as the team gets ready for an important Saturday-Monday BIG EAST swing trip.
The Irish will travel to New England later this evening, in preparation for tomorrow’s game against Providence at noon ET at the Dunkin Donuts Center (BIG EAST Network/ESPN3), before heading to the Steel City for a Monday night matchup with #16 Pittsburgh (7 pm ET on ESPN).
At 8-4 in conference play, Notre Dame is currently in a three-way tie with Louisville and Pittsburgh for fourth place. Ahead of them? Three teams knotted for first – Syracuse, Georgetown and Marquette, all at 8-3.
Following a loss to the Orange two Mondays ago, the Irish responded with back-to-back overtime wins. First, the 5-OT epic versus the Cardinals, and then on Wednesday, an 82-78 win against DePaul. Fortunately, that one only took one extra period.
Still, it has made for a long week, and at this point, head coach Mike Brey and his team are taking advantage of every opportunity to keep their legs fresh.
Given the grueling nature of the BIG EAST schedule, it’s a survive-and-advance kind of attitude night in and night out. At this point in the 2012-13 season, there are six games remaining – four on the road and two at Purcell Pavilion. Of those road trips, three games will be against teams currently ranked in the top-25.
If Notre Dame can steal a couple of those away games, and protect the home court against Cincinnati and St. John’s, the Irish may find themselves in position to earn a coveted double-by for next month’s BIG EAST tournament in New York.
It all starts on Saturday at noon against the Friars. Former Irish laxer Eamon McAnaney (’91) and Bob Wenzel will be on the call. If you can’t catch the game on ESPN3 or the BIG EAST Network, tune into the radio broadcast on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDsidMasters: .@ndwbb back from Thanksgiving to face Kansas at 1 pm (ET) Sunday in Hall of Fame Challenge finale on ESPN3/@pulsefm: htt… 5 hours ago
- Back to work we go! Headed to Uncasville, CT today for our remaining game of the BHOF Tournament. ✈🍀🏀 7 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: .@NDTix's Black Friday Sale is going strong- 50% off on @NDmbb, @NDwbb & @NDHockey #GetYours ntrda.me/NDTixBlackFri htt… 8 hours ago
- RT @MuffetMcGraw: So thankful for the opportunity to work with 13 amazing young women and the best staff in the country. blessed to be at … 20 hours ago
- Happy Thanksgiving from the #NDWBB family! Have a safe and blessed holiday everyone. 🍀🍀🍀💚 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- What are our student-athletes thankful for on Thanksgiving? Check it out: instagram.com/p/v7ZtTUQiUB/ 19 hours ago
- RT @JonRothstein: Notre Dame is quietly getting a breakout season from 6-10 junior Zach Auguste. Averaging 16.0 PPG + 6.2 RPG. Averaged 6.7… 1 day ago
- Get some Turkey on Thursday and then come to Purcell Pavilion Saturday at 1pm (NEW TIME) as we play Chicago St. TIX: UND.com/BuyTickets 1 day ago
- INFOGRAPHIC: DJ (@D_Jay24) leads us in scoring while we once again shoot over 60% from the floor. #Together http://t.co/6wIUmN3Vx1 1 day ago
- ND 81 - GSU 54 FINAL ND improves to 5-1 with win - Next game on Saturday vs. Chicago State. Game Stats: http://t.co/RMvP42cZ61 1 day ago