Feb 15, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
As students’ families arrive on campus for Junior Parents Weekend, many Fighting Irish teams are hitting the road. The #21 Notre Dame men’s basketball squad is no exception, as the team gets ready for an important Saturday-Monday BIG EAST swing trip.
The Irish will travel to New England later this evening, in preparation for tomorrow’s game against Providence at noon ET at the Dunkin Donuts Center (BIG EAST Network/ESPN3), before heading to the Steel City for a Monday night matchup with #16 Pittsburgh (7 pm ET on ESPN).
At 8-4 in conference play, Notre Dame is currently in a three-way tie with Louisville and Pittsburgh for fourth place. Ahead of them? Three teams knotted for first – Syracuse, Georgetown and Marquette, all at 8-3.
Following a loss to the Orange two Mondays ago, the Irish responded with back-to-back overtime wins. First, the 5-OT epic versus the Cardinals, and then on Wednesday, an 82-78 win against DePaul. Fortunately, that one only took one extra period.
Still, it has made for a long week, and at this point, head coach Mike Brey and his team are taking advantage of every opportunity to keep their legs fresh.
Given the grueling nature of the BIG EAST schedule, it’s a survive-and-advance kind of attitude night in and night out. At this point in the 2012-13 season, there are six games remaining – four on the road and two at Purcell Pavilion. Of those road trips, three games will be against teams currently ranked in the top-25.
If Notre Dame can steal a couple of those away games, and protect the home court against Cincinnati and St. John’s, the Irish may find themselves in position to earn a coveted double-by for next month’s BIG EAST tournament in New York.
It all starts on Saturday at noon against the Friars. Former Irish laxer Eamon McAnaney (’91) and Bob Wenzel will be on the call. If you can’t catch the game on ESPN3 or the BIG EAST Network, tune into the radio broadcast on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: Here come the Irish! @NDwbb warm up #GoIrish http://t.co/f1q5KIzmtY 19 minutes ago
- #NDWBB GAME DAY! 🍀🏀 vs. Holy Cross (5 pm ET on @WatchND; listen on @pulsefm in South Bend) http://t.co/HX4yladOCg 1 hour ago
- RT @NCAAWomensBKB: .@NDWbb holds first Diabetes Awareness Day to help support one of their own: on.ncaa.com/1BQE4wy #DiabetesMonth 5 hours ago
- RT @NDmbb: Watch the Strong & True story of Katie Schwab, the @NDwbb Operations Specialist. One of the great people at ND. LINK:http://t.c… 7 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: The story of @ndwbb ops specialist Katie Schwab (’13 SMC, manager). Keep fighting, Katie! watchnd.tv/#!/videos/82dj… #StrongAn… 7 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- QUICK HIGHLIGHTS: PC 75 - ND 74 FINAL instagram.com/p/vwgW-YQiUO/ 3 minutes ago
- PC (5-0) 75 - ND (4-1) 74 FINAL Game Stats: http://t.co/WAyc8v5kVV 9 minutes ago
- Jerian. He's pretty good. 18 pts on 6-9 shooting in the 2nd half (22 pts total) ND 74 - PC 73 26.3 seconds remain ESPN2 14 minutes ago
- Heating Up... Jerian (@ThatGrant22) now with five-straight points to once again extend the lead to three (71-68) over PC. 2:03 remains. 20 minutes ago
- GOT IT!!! Jerian (@ThatGrant22) hits a three on the top of the key to send our lead to 3. ND 69 - PC 66 2:45 remaining 21 minutes ago
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Loss to Louisville Can't Diminish Irish Ties
- M. Basketball. A Battle of Unbeatens As Notre Dame Meets Providence In Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament
- Fencing. Notre Dame Finishes Day One of Penn State Open With Three Medalists
- Football. Notre Dame Football vs. Louisville Postgame Quotes
- Football. Notre Dame vs. Louisville- Postgame Notes