Feb 13, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
Notre Dame welcomed three talented and promising freshmen to the squad this year. These three players look to build on the success of recent Irish squads and leave a mark of their own. Irish UNDerground blogger Lauren Chval sat down to get to know the second of the trio, forward Zach Auguste.
Why did you want to come to Notre Dame?
“I felt like it was the right fit. I had a good relationship with the coaching staff. When I came on my visit, I felt comfortable with the team. It was just a great all around experience.”
Who did you stay with during your campus visit?
What was it like to experience this football season as a freshman?
“The season was definitely a surprise for me. On my visit I came to a football game. Just the crowd and the experience overall was great.”
Which game did you come for on your recruiting visit?
“USC. Even though Notre Dame had some bad luck then…”
What are you planning on majoring in?
“At first I was thinking about business, but I might switch to major in sociology.”
What do you do with your teammates when you’re not playing basketball?
“We’ll sing together, we’ll rap together. We’ll just hang out.”
Who is the best rapper on the team?
What dorm do you live in?
What is it like to live on campus as an athlete?
“It’s weird, because you usually room with your teammates, but I adjusted easily. It’s nice. You definitely have a different experience and get to see what other students are about.”
What is your roommate like?
“He’s real cool. A lot of people make fun of us because I’m 6’10 and he’s like 5’6. He’s from Puerto Rico, so it’s nice to see a different culture and experience different things.”
What has been your favorite part of your freshman year so far?
What was the best part of Frosh-O?
“The best thing was the dance in Stepan. That was wild, because me, Cam, and Austin were just having a lot of fun.”
What was the worst part?
“Definitely the serenading. That was a little bit too much. And we had to run around the campus in T-shirts with swords and all kind of stuff.”
Where is somewhere on campus you visit a lot?
What is a goal you have set for yourself during your time at Notre Dame?
“Definitely win a championship here. First and foremost that.”
What is your relationship with your fellow freshmen?
“Me and Cam are definitely the clowns, and Austin’s the one who keeps us in check.”
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Just finished a great practice with the amazing Coach Izzo and @MSU_Basketball! So grateful for the opportunity! http://t.co/JMxTWEgeho 14 hours ago
- Sold out season tix for 6th straight year, now looking to sell out '14-15 single-game tix - on sale Thurs 8:30 am ET via @NDTIX #PACKEDhouse 19 hours ago
- Thanks to Jeff Nix and Coach Stan Van Gundy for letting us watch the @DetroitPistons practice! Good luck this year🍀🏀 http://t.co/0vxNCF29wL 20 hours ago
- New office today for our coaching staff in Detroit observing the Pistons practice! 🍀🏀 http://t.co/0CQOwWHKIB 22 hours ago
- Congrats to @NDSoccer's Liz Tucker on being named the 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year! Proud to have such a great representative of ND!🍀🍀🍀💚💚💚 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- We are just days away from our season! RESERVE your tickets for the 2014-15 season-> UND.com/BuyTickets http://t.co/pALxa0nGDs 18 hours ago
- Hey @NDFootball, hands up on defense! Keep up the pressure! #NDvsFSU http://t.co/fOP6jpyjcK 2 days ago
- We are all behind you @NDFootball! Even Florida State's AD is a @FightingIrish fan. It's 1981 alum Stan Wilcox! 2 days ago
- As our guys leave for Fall Break, take a few minutes to see @NDMikeBrey take a break in the summer @ @ChicagolndSpdwy: youtube.com/watch?v=2veDpv… 3 days ago
- While you watch 1993 #NDFBClassics vs FSU @ 8pm on WatchND.tv/classics - remember Monty averaged 22.4ppg that year http://t.co/rZAJi1WAT2 4 days ago
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Up Competition At Midwest Regionals
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Irish Have The Right Road Formula
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Squad Completes Upset Weekend To Claim USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Crown
- W. Soccer. Elizabeth Tucker from University of Notre Dame Named 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Tennis. Irish Upset Irish, Earn Bid Into Doubles Championship At Midwest Regionals