Feb 10, 2013, 5:44 PM EDT
Saturday evening at the Purcell Pavilion marked one of the greatest exhibitions of solidarity that one could ever hope to see in the world of sports. The Fighting Irish put together one of the greatest collective efforts in team history, and rewarded an unfaltering crowd with a classic finish that will never be forgotten.
The Leprechaun Legion made sure Louisville knew early that they were going to be a force to reckon with. If they wanted to escape South Bend with a win, they were not only going to have to contend with the five men in gold on the floor, but also with the sea of green maniacs piling into the Notre Dame student section. And the Irish fans certainly didn’t disappoint. The atmosphere inside Purcell was one that could only be described in one way – just plain crazy.
In a game that saw an unbelievable 26 lead changes, there was almost never a time when the energy level in the building subsided. The only instance may have been when the Cardinals held an eight-point lead with only 51 seconds to play in regulation. Some fans began to head for the exits – and probably not without just cause – but for the most part, the Irish faithful remained in their seats, if only to watch the final seconds run off the clock.
The game was over. Nothing but a miracle could have saved the Irish from their second straight BIG EAST loss. But then a miracle came. Jerian Grant, in one of the most improbable and heroic displays of gutsy shooting, single-handedly breathed life into not only his teammates, but every single Irish fan that decided to stick it out until the very end. And when Grant’s free throw to tie the game passed through the net, the electricity in the building returned to its peak, and this time it was there to stay.
There were plenty of times throughout the seemingly never-ending affair when Irish fans could have argued that the game was all but lost. Jack Cooley and Tom Knight were forced to make early exits due to foul trouble, and in the first overtime period, Jerian Grant, the man who brought the Irish back from the dead, was also sent to the bench with five fouls. Many teams would shut down with three starters out of the game – not to mention senior captain Scott Martin out with an injury – but it didn’t seem to shatter the confidence of the resilient Fighting Irish.
Maybe it was seeing Cooley and Grant frantically coaching their teammates on from the sideline, maybe it was watching two freshmen play five overtime periods with the poise of seniors, maybe it was taking in the herculean effort by Garrick Sherman, but the Purcell crowd was easily able to reciprocate the team’s “this game is ours” attitude. The team fed off the crowd, and the crowd fed off the team.
And when the clock finally hit zero in the fifth and final overtime period, bedlam ensued, but not before a seemingly collective exhale by everyone who stayed and saw Saturday night turn into Sunday morning. The combination of the thrilling display on the floor and the unmatched crowd atmosphere made Saturday’s contest the kind of game that will forever be replayed and reconstructed in the memories of those who were on hand to witness it.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:19 | May 2, 2013
- "LIKE" Notre Dame Women's Basketball on Facebook&flip thru the ACC Tournament album feat. photos by Michael Bennett of Lighthouse Imaging. 2 hours ago
- Great article by the @accwbb on #ACCWBB Head Coaches Honor Coach McGraw and @kaymac_2123 #IrishInTheACC theacc.co/WBB14ind-coach… 4 hours ago
- RT @Theismann7: Congrats to the ND Women's basketball on their undefeated season. Time to get ready to hunt the big dog. Good luck in the t… 16 hours ago
- Relive the celebration of the ACC Championship through @WatchND's #ICON. bit.ly/1em0VQ4 #ACCchamps 16 hours ago
- #SelfieSUNDAY? RT@jbodenst: @bLou_n_Gold Check out this classic!Thanks for representing ND &@ndwbb so well all week! http://t.co/4JGwlmoyGW 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- Quick practice at Greensboro Day and now headed to the Coliseum. #ACCTourney #GoIrish http://t.co/0Lpb49RX6b 43 minutes ago
- RT @lchval: My senior feature on @NDmbb's @EAtkins0 is up! A great player, but an even more inspiring person. und.com/sports/m-baskb… 1 hour ago
- Get our feet on the court during practice today before our first ACC Tournament game tomorrow. #ACCTourney #FiveInFive #Together 5 hours ago
- Let the MADNESS begin! On our way to Greensboro with @NDband and @NDcheerteam. #GoIrish #ACCTourney http://t.co/GyUJmbyYrL 16 hours ago
- .@EAtkins0 keeps streak alive with at least one ND player chosen for all-conference honors 14 straight years: tinyurl.com/llxgmeu 22 hours ago