Feb 10, 2013, 3:56 AM EST
Coming into Saturday’s matchup, Notre Dame and Louisville had gone to overtime in six of their past ten meetings.
Alright, but the law of averages probably tells us we’re due for an uneventful finish, right?
After Notre Dame senior Casey Murdock hit a half-court shot during College GameDay, host Rece Davis ended the show saying, “What kind of omen could this be for tonight?”
Sure, but should we really expect something more dramatic than an $18,000 heave?
A couple hours before tipoff, a few of us got into a conversation in the office about the crazy ending to the 2005 Illinois – Arizona game, where the Illini rallied from a 15-point deficit with four minutes to play.
Ok, but even as I watched the highlights on YouTube, the thought didn’t cross my mind. There was no way the Irish and Cardinals could have a wilder finish, even if Jay Bilas was in the building, like he was eight years ago at Allstate Arena.
Along with many others in the sellout Purcell Pavilion crowd, I was just hoping for a Notre Dame victory. I didn’t care how it was delivered.
For much of the evening, there was nothing too memorable about the hard-fought battle. It looked like a typical BIG EAST game.
With just under seven minutes to play and the outcome still hanging in the balance, our hopes for an upset took a major blow, when Jack Cooley fouled out on what appeared to be a very questionable call.
Notre Dame stuck around, and trailed by just four with 2:30 to play, but without their leading scorer on the floor, the game began to slip away from the Irish, and disappointed fans started heading for the exits.
That was, at least, until Jerian Grant channeled a bit of Reggie Miller magic. While it wasn’t quite Miller’s famous scoring spree against the Knicks in the ’95 playoffs, Grant’s performance in the final minute of regulation was absolutely spectacular – one of the most amazing feats I think any of us will ever witness on a basketball court.
Having not made a field goal all night, Grant hit three three-pointers, and converted a three-point play, scoring 12 points over the final 45 seconds of regulation, and turning a 56-48 deficit into a game knotted at 60.
Notre Dame and Louisville, headed back to overtime. Typical.
Somehow, that was just the beginning.
Eighty-five points and five overtimes later, the #25 Irish celebrated an improbable 104-101 win over the #11 Cardinals in the longest game in BIG EAST regular season history.
We’ll have more to come on the special night in South Bend, but for now, here are Fighting Irish Digital Media’s highlights, as well as the post-game coverage from ESPN.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:20 | May 2, 2013
- Courage is not the absence of fear,but the triumph over it!The brave man isn't he who doesn't feel afraid,but he who conquers fear!-Mandela 7 hours ago
- RT @jvs3: Happy birthday to one of the best individuals in college athletics @MuffetMcGraw . #mentor #friend #halloffame 13 hours ago
- RT @GoIrishCoachO: Happy Birthday to @MuffetMcGraw. My mentor and friend!!!!!🍀💚🎂 14 hours ago
- "The way a team plays as a whole determines its success!"- Babe Ruth 14 hours ago
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the greatest mentor anyone could have--the one and only, Coach @MuffetMcGraw !🎉🎉 15 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- .@NDJackNolan and @NDMikeBrey wrapping it up bit.ly/1d0r1bw 4 hours ago
- .@NDJackNolan Fast Break starts NOW bit.ly/1d0r1bw 4 hours ago
- .@NDJackNolan Fast Break 60 second question series is up after the commercial. Tune in here bit.ly/1d0r1bw 4 hours ago
- Time for audience questions for Steve @steph_en_ Tune in on @WatchND bit.ly/1d0r1bw #GoIrish 4 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Still time to tune in to the @NDMikeBrey Radio Show bit.ly/1d0r1bw instagram.com/p/hj3s1TyKnE/ 4 hours ago