Feb 9, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
In the fall, Irish fans were ecstatic to learn College GameDay was coming to Notre Dame for the Stanford game. We learned this just hours after our Shamrock Series win over Miami in Chicago, and it only fueled our celebration. For six days, it fed into our hype and excitement surrounding the Stanford game.
We knew College GameDay was coming to see Notre Dame play Louisville for months ahead of time; there was no surprise announcement. But Notre Dame was not any less excited for this appearance, especially because it makes us one of only SIX schools to host the program for both football and men’s basketball in the same year.
With so much time to anticipate the event, I wanted to find out what sort of heavy-duty preparation goes into the hoops version of College GameDay. Unsurprisingly, a lot of people put in a lot of hours to put this show on.
Many offices within Notre Dame athletics have to collaborate with each other and ESPN to make College GameDay a success. These offices include Media Relations, Fighting Irish Digital Media, Marketing and Ticketing. ESPN spends the week filming segments with the coach, feature players, and campus color. Finally, there comes the element of student involvement, and Notre Dame depends on the help of the Leprechaun Legion for that. The Legion planned and heavily promoted an elaborate JACC Campout so that students could be there for filming right when it began this morning.
GameDay might have already aired this morning, but next comes what we’ve all been waiting for–the game itself. ESPN and Notre Dame will be working right up to the game to make sure everyone can experience the atmosphere that is Irish basketball.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDTIX: UPDATE 8:47: ACC packs for @ndwbb (which included Connecticut) are SOLD OUT! 20 minutes ago
- RT @NDTIX: The public sale for @ndwbb single game tickets starts now! Call 574-631-7356, come in person or go online und.com/buytickets… 21 minutes ago
- First practice back from break! The journey begins...#WeareND http://t.co/5Uq1IoQJFS 14 hours ago
- What a great day for our program and players! Now it's time to go to work! Thankful for the honors, ready to get started again! 17 hours ago
- JLoyd on Coach McGraw "She motivates you, encourages you and makes you better she makes you want to do well for her." http://t.co/zke7nvkLjw 18 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Thanks @BlueAngels! Experience of a lifetime and great to reconnect with former player Lt. Cmdr. John Hiltz @jphiltz2 http:… 27 minutes ago
- Want to send a thank you to the @BlueAngels staff (all 130 of them!) & @NotreDame grad @jphiltz2 for the experience! http://t.co/Us4ez2q78Y 12 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: Our break plans aren't as cool as @NDMikeBrey though - flying with @BlueAngels in Pensacola. Truly awesome! http://t.co/G0F… 21 hours ago
- Have you seen our new @UnderArmour away jersey? We'll let @BlueAngels pilot @jphiltz2 & @NDMikeBrey display it: http://t.co/bj5eRWbQvQ 1 day ago
- RT @NDfidm: Some days when we feel honored to interview someone - today was one of those days - thanks @jphiltz2 and @BlueAngels http://t.c… 1 day ago
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Upended At #8 Indiana, 1-0
- Football. Three From Notre Dame on NFF Hall of Fame Ballot
- W. Volleyball. Alugbue Makes Broadcasting Debut In Irish Win Over BC
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish, #20 Clemson Bring A Postseason Feel To Alumni Stadium Thursday
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Earns Top Spot In 2014-15 ACC Preseason Women's Basketball Polls