Feb 9, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
In the fall, Irish fans were ecstatic to learn College GameDay was coming to Notre Dame for the Stanford game. We learned this just hours after our Shamrock Series win over Miami in Chicago, and it only fueled our celebration. For six days, it fed into our hype and excitement surrounding the Stanford game.
We knew College GameDay was coming to see Notre Dame play Louisville for months ahead of time; there was no surprise announcement. But Notre Dame was not any less excited for this appearance, especially because it makes us one of only SIX schools to host the program for both football and men’s basketball in the same year.
With so much time to anticipate the event, I wanted to find out what sort of heavy-duty preparation goes into the hoops version of College GameDay. Unsurprisingly, a lot of people put in a lot of hours to put this show on.
Many offices within Notre Dame athletics have to collaborate with each other and ESPN to make College GameDay a success. These offices include Media Relations, Fighting Irish Digital Media, Marketing and Ticketing. ESPN spends the week filming segments with the coach, feature players, and campus color. Finally, there comes the element of student involvement, and Notre Dame depends on the help of the Leprechaun Legion for that. The Legion planned and heavily promoted an elaborate JACC Campout so that students could be there for filming right when it began this morning.
GameDay might have already aired this morning, but next comes what we’ve all been waiting for–the game itself. ESPN and Notre Dame will be working right up to the game to make sure everyone can experience the atmosphere that is Irish basketball.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- "This college cannot fail to succeed" http://t.co/s9UjlWbMNv 2 hours ago
- RT @SouthBendRotary: Thanks @MuffetMcGraw and @ndwbb for supporting Rotary's Purple Pinkies for Polio: youtu.be/udC5NM7xPdY! 18 hours ago
- RT @IrishCoachIvey: Great day to be IRISH #sothankful🍀🙌 23 hours ago
- And there's a magic, in the sound of her name....🍀 http://t.co/Lm23LR7Vwg 1 day ago
- RT @fhallallen: FORTUNATE to work w/ another Championship caliber contender today @ndwbb. THX @MuffetMcGraw, @GoIrishCoachO, @IrishCoachIve… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: I'm hoping Coach Brey and Coach Izzo don these outfits for their B1G/ACC Challenge showdown on Dec. 3rd in South Bend … 3 hours ago
- Our program was built on bringing our community #together. We were honored to help @SJCHabitat with Friday's build! http://t.co/4mniE0fmd7 1 day ago
- We've unveiled our new @UnderArmour uniforms with two legendary icons - @DickieV & the @BlueAngels. Who's next? http://t.co/wdbUx8GVKA 1 day ago
- RT @EAtkins0: VJ is going to have a big year this year I can feel it...just has to stay aggressive and the rest is #EasyMoney 1 day ago
- We know where Brant is sitting, where are you sitting this year? RT@NDBrantUst View from my seats for the '14-'15 @NDmbb season, can't wait! 1 day ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Ride Four-Goal First Period To A 6-3 Win Over Niagara University
- W. Volleyball. Irish Can't Finish Off First Set; Fall To VT, 3-0, Friday Night
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish Know How To Stay Fit And Focused
- M. Golf. Irish Compete At Bridgestone Golf Collegiate To Cap Fall Schedule
- W. Golf. Armstrong Leads Irish Women's Golf To Fifth Place After First Round At Landfall Tradition