Feb 9, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
In the fall, Irish fans were ecstatic to learn College GameDay was coming to Notre Dame for the Stanford game. We learned this just hours after our Shamrock Series win over Miami in Chicago, and it only fueled our celebration. For six days, it fed into our hype and excitement surrounding the Stanford game.
We knew College GameDay was coming to see Notre Dame play Louisville for months ahead of time; there was no surprise announcement. But Notre Dame was not any less excited for this appearance, especially because it makes us one of only SIX schools to host the program for both football and men’s basketball in the same year.
With so much time to anticipate the event, I wanted to find out what sort of heavy-duty preparation goes into the hoops version of College GameDay. Unsurprisingly, a lot of people put in a lot of hours to put this show on.
Many offices within Notre Dame athletics have to collaborate with each other and ESPN to make College GameDay a success. These offices include Media Relations, Fighting Irish Digital Media, Marketing and Ticketing. ESPN spends the week filming segments with the coach, feature players, and campus color. Finally, there comes the element of student involvement, and Notre Dame depends on the help of the Leprechaun Legion for that. The Legion planned and heavily promoted an elaborate JACC Campout so that students could be there for filming right when it began this morning.
GameDay might have already aired this morning, but next comes what we’ve all been waiting for–the game itself. ESPN and Notre Dame will be working right up to the game to make sure everyone can experience the atmosphere that is Irish basketball.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- #FlashbackFriday to EVERY season Irish fans pack the Purcell Pavilion!!! #PACKEDhouse #WeAreND 🏀🙌☝🍀 http://t.co/SU0IcDbTeB 1 hour ago
- RT @AlDogg44: 2013-14 @ndwbb Director of Ops Katie Schwab needs help on her road to recovery - friends can help here - https://t.co/qoAZQEb… 17 hours ago
- If you are unable to attend the benefit, donations towards Katie's medical expenses may be made at: razoo.com/br/causes/Kati… 1 day ago
- Please join us on Aug 10th from 2-6pm at Linebacker Lounge for a benefit for Katie & the Schwab family. (must be 21+) http://t.co/JSScj4pNiE 1 day ago
- RT @ndwbbsid: .@ndwbb season ticket holders renewal notices in mail this week - Irish have had 95% renewals, max season tix purchases (~750… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Shooting the ball well & creating space is a key to our success in Italy - We have a ton of great shooters! pic.twitter.com/NILwepU1Ql 23 hours ago
- Guys practiced well in today's morning practice - working on moving the ball quicker and find open shots in lane: pic.twitter.com/jXK6OZvstK 23 hours ago
- Getting some work in before we leave for Italy next week! #NDMBBItaly http://t.co/hl9KbB99Et 1 day ago
- Did you miss @NDMikeBrey's 1st pitch at the @Silver_Hawks game last night? We have you covered! CLICK: youtu.be/J4akkGeyd5w 1 day ago
- Now that we are with @UnderArmour, we have all new apparel! Have you seen our new practice uni's? #TeamUA http://t.co/pLw6bfOk0f 2 days ago
- Football. Coach Kelly Preseason Practice Kickoff Press Conference
- M. Basketball. Finding Redemption
- M. Ice Hockey. Anders Bjork Signs National Letter-Of-Intent To Play Hockey For The Irish
- Baseball. HitTrax Technology Takes Irish Into Next Level Of Player Evaluation
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2014-15 Schedule