Feb 9, 2013, 6:38 AM EDT
For some, Saturday just couldn’t come soon enough. Dozens of Notre Dame students gathered in the North dome of the JACC late Friday night awaiting ESPN’s College GameDay the following morning. The goal was simple – hang out with friends prior to the Irish’s primetime matchup against No. 11 Louisville while spending the night indoors in order to secure a first row seat behind the GameDay broadcast that includes Notre Dame’s own Digger Phelps.
The Leprechaun Legion organized and planned the event which included plenty of games, prizes, sign making, movies, and free food. ND students first participated in a few classic games of Knockout followed by a three-on-three tournament where winners received gift cards to the Notre Dame Varsity Shop. Legion president, junior Matt Cunningham, said he hoped the event would get students excited for the game against the Cardinals.
“We’ve got movies going – Space Jam, Hoosiers, Glory Road,” explained Cunningham. “There’s also raffles for a chance to win an Xbox 360, football tickets, and more. It’s something else to do on a Friday night on campus instead of sitting around in your dorm.”
As for the actual game, the Leprechaun Legion hopes to build energy within Purcell Pavilion in what figures to be Notre Dame’s biggest home game of the season.
“When you look at the Syracuse game last year, the fans really responded. I think there’s the same kind of excitement for this game, being in primetime on ESPN,” said Cunningham. “It’s a unique experience and something that doesn’t come around all that often.”
It’s safe to say this is a game Notre Dame desperately wants to win. The student body is ready to help set the tone early – even if that means sleeping on a basketball court the night before.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Thanks to Jeff Nix and Coach Stan Van Gundy for letting us watch the @DetroitPistons practice! Good luck this year🍀🏀 http://t.co/0vxNCF29wL 40 minutes ago
- New office today for our coaching staff in Detroit observing the Pistons practice! 🍀🏀 http://t.co/0CQOwWHKIB 2 hours ago
- Congrats to @NDSoccer's Liz Tucker on being named the 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year! Proud to have such a great representative of ND!🍀🍀🍀💚💚💚 15 hours ago
- 17 more days till our first exhibition game! 🍀 20 hours ago
- Good morning! Have a blessed day! Love Thee Notre Dame🍀🍃🍁🍂 http://t.co/23q35YCwE7 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Hey @NDFootball, hands up on defense! Keep up the pressure! #NDvsFSU http://t.co/fOP6jpyjcK 1 day ago
- We are all behind you @NDFootball! Even Florida State's AD is a @FightingIrish fan. It's 1981 alum Stan Wilcox! 1 day ago
- As our guys leave for Fall Break, take a few minutes to see @NDMikeBrey take a break in the summer @ @ChicagolndSpdwy: youtube.com/watch?v=2veDpv… 2 days ago
- While you watch 1993 #NDFBClassics vs FSU @ 8pm on WatchND.tv/classics - remember Monty averaged 22.4ppg that year http://t.co/rZAJi1WAT2 3 days ago
- Coach Brey's @Orioles may have lost in ALCS, but don't worry, @PConn_24 will help get them to the World Series soon! http://t.co/lCMSvxXZo6 4 days ago
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Squad Completes Upset Weekend To Claim USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Crown
- W. Soccer. Elizabeth Tucker from University of Notre Dame Named 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Tennis. Irish Upset Irish, Earn Bid Into Doubles Championship At Midwest Regionals
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Places 10th In Strong Mercedes-Benz Championship Field
- W. Tennis. Top Doubles Tandem Advances To Monday's USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Championship Match