Feb 7, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
Michaela Mabrey is a freshman guard who hails from Belmar, N.J. She comes from a very strong basketball family, and she has shown her skill on the court this season for the Fighting Irish, averaging 13.4 minutes per game.
As a true freshman, she has already been able to highlight her versatile skill set and killer three-point shooting. Recently, I was able to meet up with Michaela to get to know a little more about this talented freshman.
What is your major and why does it interest you?
I do not have a declared major yet, but I would like to eventually major in Communications.
What attracted you to Notre Dame?
I was obviously attracted to the basketball aspect of it, but also the great academics, and just how everyone here is treated like family.
What one word would your teammates use to describe you?
I would probably say “goofy” because I am always happy and just “going with the flow” all the time.
What do you plan/hope to do after your basketball career?
I would like to get into broadcasting, I think. I have always been interested in that since I was little, so that would be a great dream of mine.
What song always pumps you up before a game?
“No Worries” by Lil Wayne.
What is your favorite thing about playing basketball at Notre Dame?
I really like the fact that everyone is family here, especially the team.
If you could play any other sport, what would it be?
What is your favorite memory with a teammate?
All of the memories that we made over the summer as a team, especially those where the freshman were bonding with the upperclassmen.
What is the hardest thing about being a student athlete?
Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?
My hair has to be done.
What is your favorite place on campus?
What is one thing you would like to do before you leave Notre Dame?
Win a national championship.
What do you miss most about your home?
What is the weirdest coaching advice that you have ever received?
To cut my hair.
What song on your iPod would surprise people?
“Colder Weather” by Zac Brown Band.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- "This college cannot fail to succeed" http://t.co/s9UjlWbMNv 7 hours ago
- RT @SouthBendRotary: Thanks @MuffetMcGraw and @ndwbb for supporting Rotary's Purple Pinkies for Polio: youtu.be/udC5NM7xPdY! 23 hours ago
- RT @IrishCoachIvey: Great day to be IRISH #sothankful🍀🙌 1 day ago
- And there's a magic, in the sound of her name....🍀 http://t.co/Lm23LR7Vwg 1 day ago
- RT @fhallallen: FORTUNATE to work w/ another Championship caliber contender today @ndwbb. THX @MuffetMcGraw, @GoIrishCoachO, @IrishCoachIve… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: I'm hoping Coach Brey and Coach Izzo don these outfits for their B1G/ACC Challenge showdown on Dec. 3rd in South Bend … 7 hours ago
- Our program was built on bringing our community #together. We were honored to help @SJCHabitat with Friday's build! http://t.co/4mniE0fmd7 1 day ago
- We've unveiled our new @UnderArmour uniforms with two legendary icons - @DickieV & the @BlueAngels. Who's next? http://t.co/wdbUx8GVKA 1 day ago
- RT @EAtkins0: VJ is going to have a big year this year I can feel it...just has to stay aggressive and the rest is #EasyMoney 1 day ago
- We know where Brant is sitting, where are you sitting this year? RT@NDBrantUst View from my seats for the '14-'15 @NDmbb season, can't wait! 1 day ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Ride Four-Goal First Period To A 6-3 Win Over Niagara University
- W. Volleyball. Irish Can't Finish Off First Set; Fall To VT, 3-0, Friday Night
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish Know How To Stay Fit And Focused
- M. Golf. Irish Compete At Bridgestone Golf Collegiate To Cap Fall Schedule
- W. Golf. Armstrong Leads Irish Women's Golf To Fifth Place After First Round At Landfall Tradition