Feb 7, 2013, 10:36 AM EST
Michaela Mabrey is a freshman guard who hails from Belmar, N.J. She comes from a very strong basketball family, and she has shown her skill on the court this season for the Fighting Irish, averaging 13.4 minutes per game.
As a true freshman, she has already been able to highlight her versatile skill set and killer three-point shooting. Recently, I was able to meet up with Michaela to get to know a little more about this talented freshman.
What is your major and why does it interest you?
I do not have a declared major yet, but I would like to eventually major in Communications.
What attracted you to Notre Dame?
I was obviously attracted to the basketball aspect of it, but also the great academics, and just how everyone here is treated like family.
What one word would your teammates use to describe you?
I would probably say “goofy” because I am always happy and just “going with the flow” all the time.
What do you plan/hope to do after your basketball career?
I would like to get into broadcasting, I think. I have always been interested in that since I was little, so that would be a great dream of mine.
What song always pumps you up before a game?
“No Worries” by Lil Wayne.
What is your favorite thing about playing basketball at Notre Dame?
I really like the fact that everyone is family here, especially the team.
If you could play any other sport, what would it be?
What is your favorite memory with a teammate?
All of the memories that we made over the summer as a team, especially those where the freshman were bonding with the upperclassmen.
What is the hardest thing about being a student athlete?
Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?
My hair has to be done.
What is your favorite place on campus?
What is one thing you would like to do before you leave Notre Dame?
Win a national championship.
What do you miss most about your home?
What is the weirdest coaching advice that you have ever received?
To cut my hair.
What song on your iPod would surprise people?
“Colder Weather” by Zac Brown Band.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDsidMasters: .@ndwbb caps stretch of 5 games in 7 days with 112-52 win over Quinnipiac tonight … we've got full coverage here: http://… 7 hours ago
- In the final home game of the BHOF Tournament, ND defeats Quinnipiac 112-57! @jloyd32 lead with 23pnts, 5rebs. http://t.co/99zeWXc0Id 9 hours ago
- Everyone in an Irish uniform has scored tonight!! 🍀🏀 10 hours ago
- Last media timeout of the game...Irish up 104-49 after two made free throws by Whitney Holloway 10 hours ago
- With a jumper made by Mychal, the Irish have reached 88 points. You know what that means....BIG MACS!!! 🍔 10 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Our game vs Chicago State this Saturday has been moved to 1pm (ESPN3). Head over to UND.com/BuyTickets to purchase tickets. #Together 13 hours ago
- Haven't made it to Purcell this year to catch a game? Check out our intro video: youtu.be/zXNaKn23RkY Get Tix: UND.com/BuyTickets 14 hours ago
- Vote Jerian Grant (@ThatGrant22) for the @FightingIrish Student-Athlete of the week-> und.com/ot/socialpoll-… http://t.co/Xd0euQ4Aas 18 hours ago
- Take a look at our @Hoophall Tournament & weekend trip to Connecticut with locker room footage included. #Together watchnd.tv/#!/videos/R4Y2… 20 hours ago
- RT @D_Jay24: Love my team 🍀 #GoIrish 2 days ago
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2/1 Notre Dame 112, Quinnipiac 52
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- W. Basketball. #2/1 Irish Breeze Past Quinnipiac, 112-52
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame-Chicago State Men's Basketball Game Moved To 1:00 pm(ET) Start Time On Saturday
- M. Basketball. Irish Return Home To Face Grambling State