Feb 7, 2013, 3:11 PM EST
The regular season does not get much bigger than Saturday for the #25 Notre Dame men’s basketball team. ESPN’s College GameDay and #11 Louisville come to town for what’s sure to be jam-packed weekend at Purcell Pavilion.
The GameDay team of Rece Davis, Digger Phelps, Jalen Rose and Jay Bilas will broadcast live from Purcell Pavilion between 10 am and noon ET (the first hour is on ESPNU, before shifting to ESPN), with the big game tipping off just after 9 pm ET on ESPN.
As Tyler Moorehead, the Leprechaun Legion’s VP of Public Relations and Social Media pointed out on his blog earlier this week, Notre Dame will become the sixth school to have both football and basketball College GameDay in the same academic year.
The Fighting Irish join Oklahoma State (2004-05), Texas (2005-06 and 2008-09), Ohio State (2006-07), Florida State (2011-12) and Michigan (2011-12) in achieving this rare feat. It certainly speaks volumes about Notre Dame athletics and the ND fan base that ESPN would choose to send its flagship college program to campus twice in a span of less than four months.
In addition to the circus of College GameDay, the game is shaping up to be quite the second act. Within the past few seasons, the Notre Dame – Louisville rivalry has morphed into one of the best in the BIG EAST, if not all of college basketball. Since 2006, the Irish and the Cardinals have met 10 times, with six of those battles being decided in overtime.
Last season, Notre Dame upset the 11th-ranked Cardinals, 67-65, in a double overtime thriller in Louisville. The teams played again in the BIG EAST conference semifinals, where Louisville rolled to a 64-50 victory, carrying its momentum all the way to the Final Four.
Louisville (19-4 overall, 7-3 BIG EAST) currently stands one game ahead of Notre Dame (18-5, 6-4), so it’s important for both teams as they vie for position in the crowded BIG EAST standings.
Though residents of the Bluegrass State might argue otherwise, there should be no debate that the Hoosier State is king of college basketball right now. GameDay was at Butler in Indianapolis three weeks ago, at IU in Bloomington this past weekend, and now, preparing for a visit to South Bend, marking its third stop in Indiana in a span of four weeks. The Hoosiers are currently ranked #1 in the nation, the Bulldogs are 14th, and if the Irish can pick up a big win against Louisville, they will have defeated both of Kentucky’s premier hoops teams – the Wildcats and Cardinals – in the same season.
As part of the GameDay festivities, the Leprechaun Legion will be hosting a student campout with a whole bunch of activities in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse on Friday night. Read more about it on the event page on Facebook.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: It's @NDwbb Pink Zone Weekend! Everything you need to know bit.ly/PinkZone2015 #GoIrish #BeatCancer http://t.co/myIYI… 50 minutes ago
- RT @ObserverNDSMC: .@ndwbb, @NDscience and @NDRecsports team up to raise breast cancer awareness at Spin-A-Thon bit.ly/1ycHJOq http… 1 hour ago
- Checked out our #PinkZone auction yet? Jersey's, Final Four items, autographed bballs, & more! ntrda.me/2015PinkZoneAu… http://t.co/gH9Xe1kwho 1 hour ago
- Finally back at home this weekend! And its our Pink Zone game! 💖 #Play4Kay 2 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Notre Dame is Hoop City USA this year .. Both @ndwbb and @ndmbb are 20-2 at same time for first time in school history #D… 13 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RELIVE OUR WIN OVER #4 DUKE: Highlights: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/pwdz… #SCTop10 Plays: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/N4aW… Slow-mo Shots: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/9lb2… 1 hour ago
- DID YOU KNOW: Two of Jerian's (@ThatGrant22) plays from our 77-73 win over #4 Duke made @ESPN's #SCTop10. WATCH 'EM: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/N4aW… 16 hours ago
- Is Jerian a National Player of the Year candidate? Coach K's comments may help the cause: http://t.co/PbGOI532Yk 17 hours ago
- Ever wonder how far away from the hoop Jerian was when he buried the #9 play on the #SCTop10? TAKE A LOOK: http://t.co/uBDDvpTkhX 22 hours ago
- We had some surprise visitors to the Duke game - Coach Brey's son, Kyle, brought his boss, @YSUsports FB HC Bo Pelini http://t.co/ZKnrAKcZsP 23 hours ago
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #4 Notre Dame 74, Virginia Tech 50
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Returns Home For Series Against UNH
- W. Basketball. #4 Notre Dame Puts Away Virginia Tech, 74-50
- W. Swimming. Yearly Shamrock Invitational Set For This Weekend
- M. Tennis. No. 14 Notre Dame Hosts No. 30 Northwestern