Feb 2, 2013, 6:21 PM EST
On Saturdays this past fall, the Notre Dame football team fought through it difficult schedule unscathed. But week after week, media members talked and wrote about how the Irish did not win with “style points.”
On this, a frigid Saturday in early February, it was the Notre Dame men’s basketball team that gutted out a tough 79-71 overtime road win against DePaul. The Irish led by as many as 12 points early in the second half, but the Blue Demons fought back to tie, and then take the lead, late in the game.
With the game knotted at 70, Notre Dame held for the last shot, but Jerian Grant missed just before the buzzer.
Fortunately, point guard Eric Atkins took control in overtime, hitting a three from the corner and making four free throws as the Irish outscored the Blue Demons, 9-1 during the period.
On paper, Notre Dame (18-4 overall, 6-3 BIG EAST) probably should have turned that 12-point second half lead into a 20-point victory against DePaul (10-11, 1-7). But I think it’s become obvious over the years in the BIG EAST, and especially this season, no game is going to come easy.
Louisville looked like a sure-thing #1 seed, and then lost three consecutive conference games. Likewise, Syracuse has now dropped games on back-to-back Saturdays. The BIG EAST race is wide open, and every night is going to be a battle for every team.
Playing less than 15 miles from his high school, Jack Cooley was a dominant force all afternoon. The senior forward scored 26 points and pulled down 16 rebounds, good for his 14th double-double of the season and the 27th of his career.
After the game, head coach Mike Brey spoke to his team’s toughness in finding a way to get the victory.
“That’s a great win for us,” Brey said. “DePaul played so hard and so well. What a great college atmosphere. Their fans, our fans were fabulous.”
With the victory, Brey moved into a tie with former St. John’s head coach Lou Carnesecca for fourth place on the BIG EAST all-time wins list. His conference record is now 139-92 (.602) and he is one of 10 coaches in BIG EAST history with 100 wins.
The Irish will stay in Rosemont, Ill. this evening, before heading to central New York tomorrow. They will take on #6 Syracuse (18-3, 6-2) on Monday night in the Carrier Dome, in a game that’s shaping up to a great one. Watch it live on ESPN at 7 pm ET.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: .@NDwbb and @NDRecsports 24 hour #PinkZone Spin-A-Thon is going strong! Come down! #GoIrish #BeatCancer http://t.co/yQxN… 6 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: It's @NDwbb Pink Zone Weekend! Everything you need to know bit.ly/PinkZone2015 #GoIrish #BeatCancer http://t.co/myIYI… 8 hours ago
- RT @ObserverNDSMC: .@ndwbb, @NDscience and @NDRecsports team up to raise breast cancer awareness at Spin-A-Thon bit.ly/1ycHJOq http… 9 hours ago
- Checked out our #PinkZone auction yet? Jersey's, Final Four items, autographed bballs, & more! ntrda.me/2015PinkZoneAu… http://t.co/gH9Xe1kwho 9 hours ago
- Finally back at home this weekend! And its our Pink Zone game! 💖 #Play4Kay 10 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- SQUAD GOIN' UP After beating #4 Duke we head to Pitt for an old-fashioned BIG EAST clash. #8 ND vs Pitt NOON - Sat. http://t.co/GhOYbNPioB 2 hours ago
- Our Captain, Pat Connaughton, is 1 of 30 candidates for the SENIOR CLASS AWARD. READ MORE: und.com/sports/m-baskb… http://t.co/mnREeAET5T 7 hours ago
- RELIVE OUR WIN OVER #4 DUKE: Highlights: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/pwdz… #SCTop10 Plays: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/N4aW… Slow-mo Shots: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/9lb2… 9 hours ago
- DID YOU KNOW: Two of Jerian's (@ThatGrant22) plays from our 77-73 win over #4 Duke made @ESPN's #SCTop10. WATCH 'EM: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/N4aW… 1 day ago
- Is Jerian a National Player of the Year candidate? Coach K's comments may help the cause: http://t.co/PbGOI532Yk 1 day ago
- Football. Kelly Cares Foundation Set To Host Sixth Annual Football 101 On June 9
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Men's Lacrosse To Hold National Coaches Clinic This Weekend
- W. Tennis. No. 20 Irish Set To Host Talented Wolverines
- M. Basketball. #8/8 Notre Dame To Play At Pitt On Saturday
- Football. Jonas Gray, Darius Fleming Represent Notre Dame In Super Bowl XLIX