Feb 1, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
On Wednesday night, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team defeated Villanova to improve to 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. With ten games remaining before the conference tournament, the Irish are getting ready for their first of two important swing trips.
Later this afternoon, it’s off to the Windy City suburbs in preparation for tomorrow’s matchup against DePaul (2 pm ET on ESPN2) at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill.
After the game, the team will stay outside of Chicago, before departing for Syracuse on Sunday morning.
The Irish and #6 Orange meet in a Big Monday showdown at the Carrier Dome (7 pm ET on ESPN). You can bet that “Otto’s Army” (the Syracuse student section) will be especially fired up for that one, after what happened to their top-ranked squad last January in South Bend.
With a top-10 opponent on the horizon, many fans are probably looking ahead to the latter of Notre Dame’s two upcoming contests. DePaul is 10-10 overall and just 1-6 in the conference, but both games are critical for the Irish, and as the BIG EAST proves time and time again, no opponent can be overlooked.
The race for the top four BIG EAST seeds is still very much up in the air. Syracuse and Marquette sit atop the standings with identical 6-1 records. St. John’s is in third at 6-3, while Notre Dame (5-3) is tied with Cincinnati, Louisville and Georgetown for fourth.
After losing three out of four in mid-January, Notre Dame has rebounded with back-to-back victories, and the re-invented Irish hope to build upon that momentum, especially after the emergence of Tom Knight and the breakout performance from Cam Biedscheid.
If they can pick up another pair of wins over the next few days, that highly anticipated visit from College GameDay and the primetime matchup with Louisville (Feb. 9 at 9 pm ET on ESPN) quickly becomes even more exciting.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:20 | May 2, 2013
Kaila Turner Senior Speech - Notre Dame Women' Basketball
Length: 7:45 | April 24, 2013
Skylar Diggins Senior Speech - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 10:55 | April 24, 2013
Naismith Coach Of The Year - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 2:08 | April 24, 2013
- RT @MuffetMcGraw: I met bill Walton last night and he said he really enjoyed watching our team play! He liked our passing - teamwork- & we… 8 hours ago
- RT @KTurner_15: ND is a special place and soon I'll be able to say I am an alum from the best university in the country #NDfamily 🍀🎓 20 hours ago
- Wishing @NDsoftball good luck today vs the Hokies at 5pm on ESPN3!! Go Irish! 1 day ago
- It's Gameday for @SkyDigg4 and @tulsashock in Seattle! Check her out at 10pm est.. #Irishalum #WNBA 1 day ago
- Good luck to @NatAchon as she competes in @CanBball Senior Nat'l Team trials today thru Sunday in Hamilton, Ontario: basketball.ca/swnt-tryout-in…🏀 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Men's Basketball 2012-13 Team Awardwinners
Length: 10:12 | April 18, 2013
Jack Nolan Surprised With Notre Dame Honorary Monogram
Length: 5:56 | April 18, 2013
Jack Cooley Gets Engaged At Evening With Notre Dame Basketball
Length: 1:38 | April 18, 2013
Reinvention - Notre Dame Men's Basketball Blueprint for Success
Length: 22:38 | April 11, 2013
- Congratulations to the Class of 2013. Very best wishes on the next part of your journey #ND2013 #WeAreND 7 hours ago
- The voice of #NDmbb @NDJackNolan is going on vacation. Check out what he's listening to on @Spotify spoti.fi/17EShN5 #SafeTravels 1 day ago
- Congrats to Steve Vasturia who was surprised during ceremony at high school by having his No. 32 retired: tinyurl.com/avr75mp 2 days ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Finished my 1st ACC mtgs. What a powerful basketball conference that has become. It will quickly become the league to get 8… 2 days ago
- RT @IrishCompliance: If a student-athlete is training in your gym or using your personal training services this summer, he/she must be char… 3 days ago
- Baseball. Irish Even Series With 9-1 Rout Of Cincinnati
- Softball. Virginia Tech Outlasts Irish 4-3 In Game One Of Lexington Regional
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Set For 11-Day European Trip
- Baseball. Irish Drop Series Opener At Cincinnati, 9-5
- Track. 24 Irish Track And Field Standouts Selected To NCAA East Preliminary Round