Jan 31, 2013, 10:25 AM EST
During the early part of the Irish season, freshman Cam Biedscheid scored in double digits four times and looked poised to make a big impact off the bench during BIG EAST play.
But through the first part of the conference schedule, the St. Louis native struggled to find his rhythm, going a combined 3-for-23 from the field in the past four games.
On Wednesday night, Biedscheid broke through in a big way. The freshman scored a career-high 18 points, sparking the offense with 15 in the second half and helping lift Notre Dame to a 65-60 win over Villanova at Purcell Pavilion.
On a night where Eric Atkins and Pat Connaughton (the team’s third- and fourth-leading scorers) couldn’t quite find their shooting stroke, Biedscheid knocked down five three-pointers and provided the Irish with a much-needed boost offensively.
Jack Cooley (17 points, 16 rebounds) and Jerian Grant (12 points, 10 assists) also had big games in front of the home crowd. Cooley’s performance was good for the 13th double-double of the season and 26th of his career. It was Grant’s second of the 2012-13 campaign and third during his time at Notre Dame.
After scoring 17 points on Saturday at USF, Tom Knight once again stepped up in his new starting role. Knight notched 10 points, hit a couple of key mid-range jumpers and made a monster block on Villanova forward Mouphtaou Yarou. The senior forward is quickly becoming a fan favorite and putting the tiny New England town of Dixfield, Maine on the map.
Notre Dame is now 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. It’s a big weekend ahead for the Irish, as they embark on their first of two swing trips. They will take on DePaul on Saturday (2 pm ET on ESPN2), before heading to Syracuse for a Big Monday showdown against the #6 Orange (7 pm ET on ESPN).
Upon returning to South Bend, there will be a few days to prepare for the Feb. 9 showdown against #12 Louisville, which is sure to be an exciting night with ESPN’s College GameDay coming to town.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- I voted for @NDwbb's @jloyd32 as the @Tire_Rack Student Athlete of the Week! und.com/saotw #LoydSAotW 20 minutes ago
- Jr guard, @jloyd32, takes over @espnW's Midseason Awards by receiving both Midseason POY & All-American selections! - espn.go.com/espnw/news-com… 2 hours ago
- Back at home preparing for another road game on Thursday at Virginia Tech! It will be live on ESPN3.... but who will be in Blacksburg, VA?! 4 hours ago
- RT @IrishCoachIvey: Supporting our coaching friend djobanion #CoachesforCoachD #faithFULL🍀💚💚💚💚💚 instagram.com/p/yQeWKCNv7j/ 1 day ago
- RT @jbodenst: We have amazing fans! @ndwbb Well over 100 people came out to see us at Clemson! http://t.co/98ZAbC1oLY 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: LESSER PUBLICIZED @NDmbb NOTES: SINCE... ...going speed of sound w/@BlueAngels, Brey is 19-2 ...@Austin_Burgett drove… 3 hours ago
- Helps us choose the PLAYER OF THE GAME from our win over NC State: RETWEET: J. Grant FAVORITE: Z. Auguste #Together http://t.co/B4GsnrmCED 4 hours ago
- RT @DickieV: A gutty comeback by @NDmbb as they win on the road vs NCSU @NDMikeBrey now welcomes Duke on Wed #DukevsND ESPN 2 will join @… 5 hours ago
- As we head back to Indiana, take a look at the HIGHLIGHTS from our 81-78 win over NC State. WATCH: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/FqM3… 15 hours ago
- RT @D_Jay24: Need to get better 😅 great team win doeeee 17 hours ago
- M. Basketball. No. 12 Notre Dame at NC State: Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. No. 8 Notre Dame Rallies Past NC State in Overtime, 81-78
- Fencing. Irish Return To Form At NYU Invitational
- Track. Irish Extra: Giesting Sets the Pace
- M. Tennis. No. 14 Notre Dame Falls To No. 16 Columbia, 4-2, In ITA Kick-Off Championship