Jan 29, 2013, 3:33 PM EST
Saturday night at the Purcell Pavilion in South Bend, Skylar Diggins became just the fourth player in Notre Dame women’s basketball history to cross the 2000-point threshold. Going into the game against Providence, Diggins had 1999 points, so there was clearly an expectation that she would surpass the mark.
Postgame, Diggins recalled, “I wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible, just not think about it.” She was successful in that, as she scored on a break away just four seconds into the game.
“The roar that came when I made the basket is something I’ll never forget, and it’s special because I’m from here.”
When asked about the play, Diggins replied, “I knew how close I was–I knew when I was in Pitt how close I was, and Ace (Natalie Achonwa) has been doing a good job getting a tip and came back and threw a perfect pass, so I had the easy part.”
Coach Muffet McGraw remarked after the game, “[Skylar] took over the game. I think she actually outscored [Providence] in the first half by herself.
Despite not playing for the majority of the second half, Diggins totaled a game-high 21 points in a game that was lopsided from the start–at halftime the Irish led 46-15, and the final score was 89-44. Achonwa also had a big game, putting up 14 points and 12 rebounds for a double-double.
The Fighting Irish’s all-time leading scorer in women’s basketball is current associate coach Beth Cunningham, which adds an interesting dynamic on the sideline. Instead of competition with Diggins for the title, however, Coach McGraw believes “Beth will be the biggest cheerleader for [Diggins] to do that.”
The BIG EAST win over Providence (6-13) brought the Irish to an 18-1 record (7-0 in the BIG EAST), and one step closer to the top of the standings.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @KayYowFund: @ndwbb Sounds like a great event! Thank you for your support. Annual Pink Zone Brunch #Play4Kay news.nd.edu/news/55558-lyn… 6 minutes ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: It's Game Day in Blacksburg as @ndwbb takes on Virginia Tech (7 pm ET live on ESPN3/WatchESPN; listen live on @pulsefm/@W… 27 minutes ago
- Congrats on the big win, @NDmbb! Way to #ProtectPurcell! 🍀🏀✊ 11 hours ago
- Tuned in from VA, but still watching @NDmbb take on Duke! Flip to ESPN2 and support the Irish! 🍀🏀 #NDFamily 13 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: .@ndwbb tied for most players in this year's @McDAAG, has three for first time (April 1, 6:30 pm ET on ESPNU from Chicago… 14 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @bhans23: ND boys r rolling!! Starting to get that fresh smell of a player of the year coming up in South Bend..#stayhungry 38 minutes ago
- For you early morning risers - take a look at Jerian's #SCTop10 plays last night & Steve's dagger 3 from ALL angles: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/1qeT… 3 hours ago
- RT @JackCooligan45: Yessss!!! Hell yeah IRISH!!! This team is special and getting wins like this is what they do!! Huge huge win. Jerian fo… 5 hours ago
- RT @ThatGrant22: God is good. Gnite! 5 hours ago
- RT @KyleMcAlarney: Wish I could of seen that in person! Love thee Notre Dame! @NDmbb 5 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Grant Leads No. 8 Notre Dame to 77-73 Victory Over Duke
- M. Lacrosse. Three Fighting Irish Players Selected In MLL Draft
- Softball. Koerner, Wester Named To 2015 USA Softball Collegiate Player Of The Year Watch List