Jan 29, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
Monday night was huge for the Notre Dame women’s basketball team.
Skylar Diggins, fresh off a record-setting game in which she scored her 2000th career point, put up a career-high single-game point total. The team beat the Lady Vols in Knoxville, Tenn. for the first time ever. And they made history by becoming the first NCAA women’s team to beat both Connecticut and Tennessee in three consecutive seasons, as well as becoming the first team to beat both of those teams on the road in the same season.
Jewell Loyd, Madison Cable, and Kayla McBride were the next three highest scorers with 10, nine, and nine points, respectively, en route to the Irish’s 77-67 victory that boosted Notre Dame to a 19-1 overall record, 7-0 in the BIG EAST.
Notre Dame sits second among a very interesting top four in women’s college basketball. Baylor (18-1) is first, followed by Notre Dame (19-1), Connecticut (18-1), and Stanford (18-2). While those teams are decidedly the top four, one could make an argument for almost any ordering.
Baylor’s only loss comes from Stanford, Notre Dame’s only loss comes from Baylor, Connecticut’s only loss comes from Notre Dame, and Stanford’s two losses come from Connecticut and #6 California (17-2).
All of that, however, only matters in determining the seeding for the quickly-approaching NCAA tournament in March. The remainder of Notre Dame’s schedule will be a chance for them to prove that they deserve a top seed with important BIG EAST matchups against #12 Louisville (17-4, 5-2), Syracuse (16-3, 4-2) and an inevitably intense rematch at home with #3 Connecticut (18-1, 5-1) in the final game of the season.
The Fighting Irish will take on Cincinnati (8-11, 0-6) this Saturday at 2 pm ET in the Purcell Pavilion. Watch it live on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:19 | May 2, 2013
- Watch the behind the scenes of @kaymac_2123 and @NatAchon's experience at the 2014 @WNBA Draft! #IrishintheWNBA watchnd.tv/#!/videos/95bj… 11 hours ago
- VERY PROUD of @_Breezy_Briii named @USATODAYhss National HS Player of the Year! 🍀🏀🍀 WAY TO GO, Bri!! usatodayhss.com/amfam/article/… 15 hours ago
- RT @kaymac_2123: Thanking God for allowing me another day! #blessed 16 hours ago
- Recently overheard: "I'm tiiiired." The sounds of 6:00AM morning workouts with @NDCoachCheek! #notdoneyet 17 hours ago
- Thankful for the hardwork of our student managers, Kelly & Megan! Congratulations on becoming @NDMonogram winners! http://t.co/mg4BsA3lTG 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- Action gets underway this evening for @EAtkins0 and @gsherm11 at Portsouth Invitational ...Follow all the action at: tinyurl.com/cobtza7 8 hours ago
- RT @NDfidm: Here are @NDMikeBrey comments and highlights of @NDmbb newest member - Matt Farrell - WatchND.tv/#!/videos/p5aj… 12 hours ago
- Notre Dame welcomes Matt Farrell to the Irish basketball family: tinyurl.com/o2x62ec 12 hours ago
- Congrats to our former player Tim Andree (@Tandree41) on officially becoming a Lawyer! (Photo from Tim's Instagram) http://t.co/KML9wrPXBN 14 hours ago
- Congrats to our student managers, Joe Krug and Tim Fulnecky, on receiving their @NDMonogram Club letter jackets! http://t.co/vCiz7XfuXb 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. New Jersey Guard Matt Farrell Set To Join Notre Dame Men's Basketball Program
- Fencing. Fencing Signs Five Freshmen To Next Year's Team
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Loses at No. 13 Ohio State, 12-9
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Close Homestand Against Toledo Wednesday
- W. Rowing. Rowing Recap: Onward To Michigan