Jan 29, 2013, 3:41 PM EST
Monday night was huge for the Notre Dame women’s basketball team.
Skylar Diggins, fresh off a record-setting game in which she scored her 2000th career point, put up a career-high single-game point total. The team beat the Lady Vols in Knoxville, Tenn. for the first time ever. And they made history by becoming the first NCAA women’s team to beat both Connecticut and Tennessee in three consecutive seasons, as well as becoming the first team to beat both of those teams on the road in the same season.
Jewell Loyd, Madison Cable, and Kayla McBride were the next three highest scorers with 10, nine, and nine points, respectively, en route to the Irish’s 77-67 victory that boosted Notre Dame to a 19-1 overall record, 7-0 in the BIG EAST.
Notre Dame sits second among a very interesting top four in women’s college basketball. Baylor (18-1) is first, followed by Notre Dame (19-1), Connecticut (18-1), and Stanford (18-2). While those teams are decidedly the top four, one could make an argument for almost any ordering.
Baylor’s only loss comes from Stanford, Notre Dame’s only loss comes from Baylor, Connecticut’s only loss comes from Notre Dame, and Stanford’s two losses come from Connecticut and #6 California (17-2).
All of that, however, only matters in determining the seeding for the quickly-approaching NCAA tournament in March. The remainder of Notre Dame’s schedule will be a chance for them to prove that they deserve a top seed with important BIG EAST matchups against #12 Louisville (17-4, 5-2), Syracuse (16-3, 4-2) and an inevitably intense rematch at home with #3 Connecticut (18-1, 5-1) in the final game of the season.
The Fighting Irish will take on Cincinnati (8-11, 0-6) this Saturday at 2 pm ET in the Purcell Pavilion. Watch it live on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @McD_NorthernInd: @ndwbb #imlovinit! Way to go #Irish! 3 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Full coverage of @ndwbb 104-29 win over Holy Cross earlier tonight, in Hall of Fame Challenge at Purcell, now posted: htt… 15 hours ago
- Here is the post game infographic for #ndwbb's 104-29 victory over Holy Cross! http://t.co/coav1Jxdpr 16 hours ago
- With Diamond Thompson's basket, everyone on the Irish squad is on the scoreboard!!! 🏀🍀 18 hours ago
- 3:18 left in the game, Irish up 97-25 18 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @D_Jay24: Love my team 🍀 #GoIrish 15 hours ago
- INFOGRAPHIC: PC 75 - ND 74 FINAL http://t.co/NsVb34ANq2 19 hours ago
- RT @ToryJ23: Tough loss for my IRISH hoop squad. Great game played by both ND and Providence. A chance to learn and bounce back this week f… 19 hours ago
- RT @Austin_Torres0: One hell of a weekend. Love my teammates ✊🍀🏀 19 hours ago
- QUICK HIGHLIGHTS: PC 75 - ND 74 FINAL instagram.com/p/vwgW-YQiUO/ 19 hours ago
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish To Meet Harvard Monday Night In Hall Of Fame Challenge
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- Fencing. Men's Fencing Adds to Women's Results Sunday At Penn State Open
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Ousts Ohio State, 2-1, In NCAA Second Round
- General News. Former Notre Dame Fencer Alex Coccia Named Rhodes Scholar