Jan 29, 2013, 3:41 PM EST
Monday night was huge for the Notre Dame women’s basketball team.
Skylar Diggins, fresh off a record-setting game in which she scored her 2000th career point, put up a career-high single-game point total. The team beat the Lady Vols in Knoxville, Tenn. for the first time ever. And they made history by becoming the first NCAA women’s team to beat both Connecticut and Tennessee in three consecutive seasons, as well as becoming the first team to beat both of those teams on the road in the same season.
Jewell Loyd, Madison Cable, and Kayla McBride were the next three highest scorers with 10, nine, and nine points, respectively, en route to the Irish’s 77-67 victory that boosted Notre Dame to a 19-1 overall record, 7-0 in the BIG EAST.
Notre Dame sits second among a very interesting top four in women’s college basketball. Baylor (18-1) is first, followed by Notre Dame (19-1), Connecticut (18-1), and Stanford (18-2). While those teams are decidedly the top four, one could make an argument for almost any ordering.
Baylor’s only loss comes from Stanford, Notre Dame’s only loss comes from Baylor, Connecticut’s only loss comes from Notre Dame, and Stanford’s two losses come from Connecticut and #6 California (17-2).
All of that, however, only matters in determining the seeding for the quickly-approaching NCAA tournament in March. The remainder of Notre Dame’s schedule will be a chance for them to prove that they deserve a top seed with important BIG EAST matchups against #12 Louisville (17-4, 5-2), Syracuse (16-3, 4-2) and an inevitably intense rematch at home with #3 Connecticut (18-1, 5-1) in the final game of the season.
The Fighting Irish will take on Cincinnati (8-11, 0-6) this Saturday at 2 pm ET in the Purcell Pavilion. Watch it live on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- With exams ending today we switch back to basketball mode & prepare for St. Joseph's on Sunday! Remember to bring teddy bears to toss! 🐻🍀 1 day ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: .@ndwbb returns from final exam break Sunday at 1 pm (ET), playing host to Saint Joseph's (live on @WatchND): http://t.co… 1 day ago
- 3 days until our last game before the holiday break, 7 days until Christmas, and 15 days until our ACC opener! #GoIrish 2 days ago
- Don't forget: Sunday's game vs. St Joseph's will be the 10th annual #ndwbb Teddy Bear Toss! Bring your stuffed animals to toss at halftime! 3 days ago
- Happy Birthday to senior guard, @mcable22! Enjoy your day! 😃💚🎉🎈🎁 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @ThatGrant22: Squad looked goooooood ✊🍀 41 minutes ago
- RT @Austin_Torres0: I low key kinda love my team... 🍀🏀😈 44 minutes ago
- Anyone wondering about our athleticism anymore? #DunksDuLac http://t.co/oWv7LBaqh4 1 hour ago
- Goodnight Indianapolis. Thanks for the hospitality. #DunksDulac is on its way back to the 574. #Together http://t.co/6wqktrY5CY 2 hours ago
- QUICK HIGHLIGHTS There is only one highlight we are throwing up ... Send it in DJ!!! #DunksDuLac… instagram.com/p/w2W-3JwiZ2/ 2 hours ago
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Football Makes a Holiday Contribution
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame-Hartford Men's Basketball Game On Dec. 30 Moved To 7:30 pm (ET) Start Time
- W. Basketball. #5/4 Irish Play Host To Saint Joseph's Sunday Afternoon
- General News. Spreading Christmas Joy
- General News. Former Notre Dame Sports Medicine Pioneer Dr. Les Bodnar Dies