Jan 28, 2013, 1:35 PM EST
The event was started to create awareness for heart disease and pay tribute to Skip Prosser, the former Wake Forest head coach who passed away of a heart attack in 2007.
At its core a free throw competition is very simple, but in the spirit of March Madness, Shots From The Heart takes it to a different level.
In order to avoid tiebreakers, the tournament features a unique scoring system.
- Shots 1-10 are worth 1 point
- Shots 11-15 are worth 2 points
- Shots 16-20 are worth 3 points
- Shots 21-24 are worth 4 points
- Shot 25 is worth 5 points
In 2011, Brey lost to Tulane’s Ed Conroy in the second round. Last season, he fell to NJIT’s Jim Engles in the opening pairing, so you can bet the Irish head coach had some extra motivation when he took to the charity stripe on the Purcell Pavilion court.
This year, Brey is paired up with Pat Kelsey of Winthrop. Some might remember Kelsey for his impassioned postgame press conference following the tragedy in Connecticut this past December.
There’s no word of Coach Kelsey’s results yet, but Brey made 23 of 25 shots, and I’ve got to believe he put himself in a pretty good position to advance to the next round. Check it out below.
Notice the three-dribble routine? Always a good choice. Steve Nash would be proud.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @Irishenanigoats: Thank you @ndwbb for showing you can still respect law enforcement while recognizing that change is necessary. 12 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Full coverage (recap, box, quotes, notes, pics & highlights) of today's @ndwbb 64-50 win over Saint Joseph's now up: http… 12 hours ago
- FINAL infographic! Irish defeat St. Joseph's 64-50. And welcome back @_Breezy_Briii, she lead ND 19 pnts. http://t.co/n5JK0zjFXt 13 hours ago
- With just 3:27 left in the game, the Irish lead the Hawks 60-46 14 hours ago
- Irish have a 54-38 leading with 7:51 remaining in the game. 14 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Videos from our win vs. Purdue! Irish Connection takes you inside the locker room: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/VkZW… Highlights: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/RwYm… 12 hours ago
- RT @NDfidm: Check out #ICON if you want to hear @NDJackNolan's play by play call of the key plays in the @NDmbb Purdue victory - http://t.c… 1 day ago
- RT @JonRothstein: Statement game for Mike Brey and Notre Dame. Irish beat Purdue by 31 and have six players score in double-figures. Explos… 1 day ago
- RT @NDJackNolan: .@NDmbb 5 min away from Purcell. For some reason, this bus ride back from INDY did not seem so long :) 1 day ago
- RT @BleacherReport: VIDEO: Notre Dame’s Demetrius Jackson dunks all over 7’2” Purdue center Isaac Haas ble.ac/1ra23Cd http://t.co/6… 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Jackson Dunk Sets Tone for Win Over Boilermakers
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Road Trip to Crossroads Classic
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #5/4 Notre Dame 64, Saint Joseph's (Pa.) 50
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Quotes
- W. Basketball. #5/4 Irish Defeat Saint Joseph's, 64-50