Jan 28, 2013, 1:54 PM EDT
Whitney Holloway is a sophomore guard from Plainfield, Ill. who is not afraid to leave it all on the court. Don’t let her height fool you, she plays with a great tenacity that fits well with Notre Dame’s style of offense. She is well known to be tough and determined. I got the chance to chat with Whitney recently, and I had the pleasure of learning a lot about this great young player.
What is your major and why does it interest you?
My major is psychology, and it interests me because I like learning about psychology topics. I am in the class, Abnormal Psychology, and it is really interesting to learn about topics like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and depression. I really like to learn about the way people act and why they do the things that they do.
What attracted you to Notre Dame?
Pretty much everything! Academics, obviously, would be the number one reason that I was attracted to Notre Dame. The second most important reason, since I am from Plainfield, Ill., is that I am close to home, specifically only about two hours away. It’s great because my family can come watch me play, and they are here at every home game to support me. I love the team too. I get along really well with the girls, and we have great coaches here too. The fans are also the best, and the campus as a whole is just beautiful.
What one word would your teammates use to describe you?
I would probably say “fun,” since I am really goofy. I like to have fun and just “go with the flow.”
What do you plan/hope to do after your basketball career?
I want to play basketball for as long as I can, but after basketball, when I am much older, I would like to have a family, kids, and a nice job. I would like to live in the suburbs too.
What song always pumps you up before a game?
“Cinema” by Skrillex.
What is your favorite thing about playing basketball at Notre Dame?
Our fans! We sell out almost every single game. They are so energetic and get so into the game. Our fans are definitely the best.
If you were any other sport, what would it be?
What is your favorite memory with a teammate?
That would probably have to be going to the Bahamas last year for Thanksgiving. We had a big Thanksgiving dinner down there with all of the other teams that were there too. We were outside on the beach having this huge dinner, and it was just so much fun.
What is the hardest thing about being a student athlete?
We usually have practice at 3 pm and then finish by 5 pm. By the time that we leave the locker room, it’s about 5:30 om, and then by the time that I eat, it’s about 6:30 pm. After dinner, it’s about 7 pm, but then at that point, I am pretty tired and just want to go to bed, but I generally have at least three hours of homework left to do. As a result, the balance between basketball and schoolwork would definitely have to be the hardest part about being a student-athlete.
Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?
No. But as a team, we always listen to a specific song before we go out onto the court. It’s a different song every year. This year, it is a song by Lil Wayne to pump us up.
What is your favorite place on campus?
South Dining Hall. They have great food and lots of variety. You can never go wrong there.
What is the most important thing that you have learned while playing at Notre Dame?
I would say just knowing that every single day, whether it’s in practice or in a game, you always have to give 100%. There are never any light days, and you can never take a break from trying your hardest. This mentality turns into being dedicated and determined. Qualities like that are very important.
What do you miss most about your home?
My mom’s cooking.
Who was your favorite cartoon character when you were a kid, and why?
If you could have dinner with three people, living or deceased, who would they be?
Beyonce, Derrick Rose, and Michael Jackson.
Check out the video below from last year, when Whitney was a freshman.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:19 | May 2, 2013
- Thankful for the hardwork of our student managers, Kelly & Megan! Congratulations on becoming @NDMonogram winners! http://t.co/mg4BsA3lTG 12 hours ago
- ICYMI: @natachon brings the heat to @IndianaFever and @kaymac2123 is a star with @SAStars - #IrishintheWNBA instagram.com/p/m0IMXhourp/ 20 hours ago
- RT @ndwbbsid: Flip to page 18 of this week's @SInow ... there's a future @ndwbb player atop the "Faces In The Crowd": http://t.co/laHDINkKTu 22 hours ago
- "Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I'll show you someone who has overcome adversity." -Lou Holtz 23 hours ago
- RT @IndianaFever: With the 9th pick in the 2014 @WNBA Draft your Indiana Fever select F Natalie Achonwa (@NatAchon)! http://t.co/czkVP4B4hP 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- Congrats to our student managers, Joe Krug and Tim Fulnecky, on receiving their @NDMonogram Club letter jackets! http://t.co/vCiz7XfuXb 12 hours ago
- Congrats to Scott Martin (@sjmartin14) & the Newcastle Eagles on clinching the British Basketball League Title! Scott avg. 15.1ppg & 9.2rpg. 21 hours ago
- Another great edition of "An Evening With Notre Dame Basketball" is behind us! A special thanks goes… instagram.com/p/mysZ5Iwidb/ 1 day ago
- .@EAtkins0 named Notre Dame Monogram Club MVP at team's annual end-of-year celebration: tinyurl.com/kydjd9h 1 day ago
- EA (@EAtkins0) ends his senior speech with, "sorry I couldn't dunk for you." #AnEveningWithNDBasketball 1 day ago
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Loses at No. 13 Ohio State, 12-9
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Close Homestand Against Toledo Wednesday
- W. Rowing. Rowing Recap: Onward To Michigan
- Baseball. Winter Weather Postpones Baseball Game At Michigan State
- Baseball. Baseball Jumps Back Into Action This Week At Michigan State And Toledo