Jan 24, 2013, 4:04 PM EST
Following a frigid week in South Bend, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team heads to South Florida this evening, and the Irish are hoping it’s more than just the weather that warms up in Tampa.
Just minutes before Notre Dame and Alabama met in the BCS championship game on Jan. 7, the Irish defeated Cincinnati to improve to 14-1 on the season.
But since that impressive road victory, the team has dropped three of its last four games. On Monday, the Irish shot just 35% from the field and fell to Georgetown, 63-47, in one of the worst home losses in recent memory.
One-third of the way through the BIG EAST schedule, the Irish are at a bit of a crossroads. At this point last season, they were 12-8 overall and 4-3 in the conference, and coming off of the memorable upset of #1 Syracuse that sparked a nine-game winning streak.
This year, Notre Dame is 15-4 with a 3-3 mark in conference play, and still trying to find itself in the BIG EAST. In Martin’s absence, Brey will have to shake up a starting lineup that has played together for much of the past season and a half.
Averaging 17.2 minutes per game, freshman Cam Biedscheid seems like the most likely candidate to fill the void in place of Martin. Biedscheid has shown great promise during his first season with the Irish, but struggled mightily against the Hoyas, finishing 0-for-8 from the field.
This was a team with high expectations when the season began in November, and even without Martin, it’s a team built upon veteran players – one that is still very capable of accomplishing a lot between now and March. And as college basketball proves to us year in and year out, anything can happen once we get to March.
The Irish will look to bounce back against the Bulls on Saturday at noon ET on the Big East Network, before returning home to face Villanova on Wednesday at 6 pm ET.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Happy birthday to our alums @NatAchon and @NatalieNovosel! Have a great birthday!!! 🍀🍀🍀💚💚💚🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉 57 minutes ago
- Great team win tonight at the Purcell Pavilion! Freshman @mycoool_ showed out on her birthday with 17pnts! 🍀🏀 http://t.co/0eU0eHgo6e 13 hours ago
- Mike hits the jumper for Big Macs!!! 14 hours ago
- Final media timeout of the half, Irish lead Chattanooga 79-43 14 hours ago
- 6:15 remaining in the game, Irish up 73-38 14 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- A great banquet put on by the @MoheganSun & the @Hoophall before Saturday's games. @NDMikeBrey with the other 7 HC's http://t.co/6QXMzpc2dU 12 hours ago
- Burg (@Austin_Burgett) hits a half court shot to end practice for the day. (Not pictured: @Austin_Torres0's make) vine.co/v/OJPLOri6dd0 18 hours ago
- Watch the Strong & True story of Katie Schwab, the @NDwbb Operations Specialist. One of the great people at ND. LINK: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/82dj… 19 hours ago
- Our guys work on their post work as practice comes to a close at the Mohegan Sun. #NDinConnecticut vine.co/v/OJPKneBKXda 20 hours ago
- We got our first chance to take the floor at the @MoheganSun before the @HOF_Tipoff tourney begins on Saturday. 🍀🏀🍀 http://t.co/gtjRkInaD4 20 hours ago
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3/2 Notre Dame 88, Chattanooga 53
- W. Basketball. Postgame Quotes: Notre Dame 88, Chattanooga 53
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Cruise Past Chattanooga, 88-53
- W. Soccer. Muya Shines As Irish Earn A 2-1 Comeback Win Over Texas In NCAA Second Round
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish To Battle Buckeyes In NCAA Second Round