Jan 24, 2013, 4:04 PM EST
Following a frigid week in South Bend, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team heads to South Florida this evening, and the Irish are hoping it’s more than just the weather that warms up in Tampa.
Just minutes before Notre Dame and Alabama met in the BCS championship game on Jan. 7, the Irish defeated Cincinnati to improve to 14-1 on the season.
But since that impressive road victory, the team has dropped three of its last four games. On Monday, the Irish shot just 35% from the field and fell to Georgetown, 63-47, in one of the worst home losses in recent memory.
One-third of the way through the BIG EAST schedule, the Irish are at a bit of a crossroads. At this point last season, they were 12-8 overall and 4-3 in the conference, and coming off of the memorable upset of #1 Syracuse that sparked a nine-game winning streak.
This year, Notre Dame is 15-4 with a 3-3 mark in conference play, and still trying to find itself in the BIG EAST. In Martin’s absence, Brey will have to shake up a starting lineup that has played together for much of the past season and a half.
Averaging 17.2 minutes per game, freshman Cam Biedscheid seems like the most likely candidate to fill the void in place of Martin. Biedscheid has shown great promise during his first season with the Irish, but struggled mightily against the Hoyas, finishing 0-for-8 from the field.
This was a team with high expectations when the season began in November, and even without Martin, it’s a team built upon veteran players – one that is still very capable of accomplishing a lot between now and March. And as college basketball proves to us year in and year out, anything can happen once we get to March.
The Irish will look to bounce back against the Bulls on Saturday at noon ET on the Big East Network, before returning home to face Villanova on Wednesday at 6 pm ET.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Here is the final infographic from #ndwbb's 97-43 victory over Harvard. @busta_reimes lead the way w/ 14pnts & 4rebs! http://t.co/VbDbjmQvYQ 10 minutes ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: .@ndwbb 59-13 lead was program's largest halftime margin since at least 1995-96 (previous: 58-15 vs. Indiana State on 11/… 49 minutes ago
- With a made free throw by Diamond, everyone has scored tonight for the Irish! 57 minutes ago
- 91-39 Irish lead with 3:29 left in the game 🍀 59 minutes ago
- With two made free throws by Kish, it's Big Macs for everybody!! 🍔🍔🍔 1 hour ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @D_Jay24: Love my team 🍀 #GoIrish 22 hours ago
- INFOGRAPHIC: PC 75 - ND 74 FINAL http://t.co/NsVb34ANq2 1 day ago
- RT @ToryJ23: Tough loss for my IRISH hoop squad. Great game played by both ND and Providence. A chance to learn and bounce back this week f… 1 day ago
- RT @Austin_Torres0: One hell of a weekend. Love my teammates ✊🍀🏀 1 day ago
- QUICK HIGHLIGHTS: PC 75 - ND 74 FINAL instagram.com/p/vwgW-YQiUO/ 1 day ago
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish To Meet Harvard Monday Night In Hall Of Fame Challenge
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- Fencing. Men's Fencing Adds to Women's Results Sunday At Penn State Open
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Ousts Ohio State, 2-1, In NCAA Second Round
- General News. Former Notre Dame Fencer Alex Coccia Named Rhodes Scholar