Jan 20, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
It took some last-second defense and a veteran play by Scott Martin, but the #20 Notre Dame men’s basketball team held on for a 69-66 victory over Rutgers on Saturday night at Purcell Pavilion.
Leading by as many as 13 points in the second half, the Irish fought off the Scarlet Knights’ comeback to improve to 15-3 overall and 3-2 in BIG EAST conference play.
With Notre Dame clinging to a 67-66 lead, Martin took a charge against Eli Carter, essentially sealing the game and helping the Irish snap a two-game losing streak.
Jack Cooley scored 19 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, good for his 11th double-double of the season.
Pat Connaughton knocked down his first four three-pointers of the night and finished with 17 points.
During the first timeout of the first half, Notre Dame presented New Jersey Governor Chris Christie with a check for $10,033 to benefit victims of Hurricane Sandy. Christie is a longtime friend of Irish head coach Mike Brey, and the money was raised through the team’s recent online auction.
The Irish return to the court on Monday night against Georgetown at 7:30 pm ET on ESPN.
Check out UND.com for a full recap.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- ACC media today begins today! We are well represented by @MuffetMcGraw and @jloyd32! Look out for updates from our page and @NDsidMasters 🍀 1 hour ago
- Thankful Tuesday! @busta_reimes on her signing day with @MuffetMcGraw! IRISH fans lookout for this super sophomore 🍀🙌 http://t.co/Tj7lR9LeIb 16 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Join us tomorrow for @ndwbb at #ACCmediaday … @MuffetMcGraw and @jloyd32 to represent ND … tweet your questions for them … 16 hours ago
- Thankful Tuesday! @_Breezy_Briii on signing day! This young star will be so fun to watch this year! #futureisBRIGHT🍀🌟 http://t.co/F4e90sd5gc 1 day ago
- RT @FHS_Girls_Hoops: Great to see Fairmont alum Kathryn Westbeld, @K_Westbeld33 up at the Trent Arena yesterday! Best of luck to her and @n… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.