Jan 18, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
While many sports fans might be focused on the NFL’s conference championship games this weekend, college basketball conference play is in full swing. In fact, the hoops edition of ESPN’s College GameDay makes its first appearance on the road, right here in the Hoosier State, when the show travels to Butler’s Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis for the #13 Bulldogs’ showdown against #8 Gonzaga.
In South Bend, both the Notre Dame men’s and women’s teams will take on BIG EAST conference foes at Purcell Pavilion.
The #20 men’s team (14-3 overall, 2-2 BIG EAST) will host Rutgers on Saturday evening at 8 pm ET. The Scarlet Knights (12-4, 3-2) are coming off a 70-67 victory over South Florida, while the Irish are looking to rebound from back-to-back losses.
Last year, Notre Dame and Rutgers split the season series, with each team winning on its home court. The Irish lead the all-time series, 18-13.
Among those who will be in attendance tomorrow night is New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, a longtime friend of head coach Mike Brey. Governor Christie will be accepting proceeds from the team’s recent auction to benefit victims of Hurricane Sandy.
On Sunday, head coach Muffet McGraw and the second-ranked women’s team will try to continue their winning ways when they take on St. John’s (9-6, 3-0) at noon ET on ESPNU.
Since losing to Baylor on Dec. 5, the Irish (15-1, 4-0) have won ten straight games, most recently against Georgetown on Tuesday.
With no tailgating or college football and no holiday shopping or decorating, it might be easy for weekends in January to feel a little empty. But whether you’re watching at home or here on campus, the countdown to March is on, and there’s a lot of college hoops action to enjoy.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:20 | May 2, 2013
- She's not the only familiar face on the court tonight connecting @ndwbb & @PennStateWBB! Can you name them all? http://t.co/cQwNFYwQhb 51 minutes ago
- Good morning from Happy Valley! #ACCB1GChallenge commences at 7:30pm ET tonight! #IrishintheACC 4 hours ago
- Huge thanks and a job well done by @NDfidm on #IrishintheACC 's segment of @NatAchon returning to #OhCanada! watchnd.tv/#!/videos/JjaT… 17 hours ago
- Big Ten/ACC Challenge for #IrishBasketball We face PSU tomorrow night at 7:30PM on @BigTenNetwork! Good luck @NDmbb! http://t.co/OXHjYw5PTP 23 hours ago
- "Success is a state of mind. If you want success, start thinking of yourself as a success!" 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- Our journey home via bus after fog kept the team in Iowa last night & prevented a flight today as well. http://t.co/mvHPDciSy4 35 minutes ago
- Garrick Sherman notched a career-high 29 points in Tuesday's #B1GACC Challenge game vs. #23 Iowa. #New… instagram.com/p/hgcRmAQiW1/ 2 hours ago
- RT @NDJackNolan: I don't think I have ever been as encouraged by a team's effort in a road loss as I am by ND's effort here in Iowa tonight… 14 hours ago
- RT @AlDogg44: Great effort on the road in a hostile environment. This @NDmbb team is going to be fun to watch this year. 14 hours ago
- Postgame Notes (Cont.) ... The Irish turned the ball over just once in the second half against Iowa ... 14 hours ago