Jan 6, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
I’m sure there are thousands and thousands of families across the country that actually enjoy rooting for opposing teams. I’m told there are families where the sisters and brothers who graduated from rival institutions can commandeer opposite sides of the couch, make a lot of noise, and force the loser to take out the trash at the end of 40 minutes of basketball. I’ve heard there are cousins from neighboring states who engage in good-natured trash-talking in the week before their state flagship universities face off on the gridiron.
But my family is not one of them. My mom is a Connecticut grad and one heck of a dedicated fan. (By dedicated I mean she would try to use our dial-up connection to get radio broadcasts of basketball games back when we lived overseas.) We can start out watching Notre Dame-Connecticut games together, but we’ve yet to finish watching the game in the same room.
Which is why I thought it might have been just as well that a family outing went so far off track that we missed the game and learned the final score of yesterday’s 73-72 Notre Dame win on my phone.
But it turns out that her response was not tempered by the fact that we hadn’t actually watched the game.
“Your school is really starting to annoy me,” she said (The Huskies have lost five or their last six against the Irish, after all.) Then the kicker – “I might have to root for Alabama on Monday.”
(She was kidding. I think.)
While I’ll never think twice about cheering whole-heartedly for Notre Dame, I can’t pretend that it’s ever easy to cheer against my former-favorite team, now relegated to second place in my heart. I still root for the Huskies when they play any other team.
A rematch of these two powerhouses would make in the championship final would make for a great game and great TV. But for the sake of Jacobsen family harmony, another match-up might be safer.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Great to have All American, Dev Peters and National Champion, Monique Hernandez back on campus and at practice 🍀🙌🙌 http://t.co/Obbiyw51ay 9 hours ago
- RT @whocrew2: @ndwbb @NDsidMasters One of my students dressed up as Skylar Diggins for Halloween. Thanks for inspiring young kids! http://t… 11 hours ago
- Happy Halloween from #NDWBB! http://t.co/Ynpn8ib9Ue 18 hours ago
- 6 days until our exhibition game, 16 days until 1st regular season game, and 96 days until our 1st ACC game! #NDWBB 1 day ago
- Since there is less than a week until the FIRST game of the season..... #TBT to last years season opener! http://t.co/tfc78jTmWU 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- IT'S OFFICIALLY GAMEDAY! We tipoff our exhibition slate at 2pm ET vs Minnesota Duluth. BE THERE! #Together http://t.co/GP1iHe6o2b 3 hours ago
- Who will be the next member of the Ring of Honor? It's TOMMY "The Hawk" HAWKINS READ MORE: und.com/sports/m-baskb… http://t.co/1CyJ6SLq8U 11 hours ago
- Still don't have plans for Saturday before the football game? Come on out to our first game at 2pm! TICKETS: UND.com/buytickets 🏀🍀🏀 15 hours ago
- RT @PlanetPat24: Almost that time of the year again.. 🙊🍀🏀 http://t.co/Pu3O9cyMAw 1 day ago
- Hey, Coach Brey is on @ESPNU! #ACCRoundtable http://t.co/QBPwvi0dhk 1 day ago
- W. Swimming. Irish Return Home For Hoosier State Showdown With No. 24 Purdue
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Head To Chicago For Playing For Peace Service Day
- M. Basketball. Tom Hawkins Set To Become Seventh Notre Dame Basketball Ring Of Honor Inductee
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish Travel To Boston College For Regular Season Finale
- M. Soccer. #5 Irish Close Regular Season Saturday At Pitt