Jan 6, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
I’m sure there are thousands and thousands of families across the country that actually enjoy rooting for opposing teams. I’m told there are families where the sisters and brothers who graduated from rival institutions can commandeer opposite sides of the couch, make a lot of noise, and force the loser to take out the trash at the end of 40 minutes of basketball. I’ve heard there are cousins from neighboring states who engage in good-natured trash-talking in the week before their state flagship universities face off on the gridiron.
But my family is not one of them. My mom is a Connecticut grad and one heck of a dedicated fan. (By dedicated I mean she would try to use our dial-up connection to get radio broadcasts of basketball games back when we lived overseas.) We can start out watching Notre Dame-Connecticut games together, but we’ve yet to finish watching the game in the same room.
Which is why I thought it might have been just as well that a family outing went so far off track that we missed the game and learned the final score of yesterday’s 73-72 Notre Dame win on my phone.
But it turns out that her response was not tempered by the fact that we hadn’t actually watched the game.
“Your school is really starting to annoy me,” she said (The Huskies have lost five or their last six against the Irish, after all.) Then the kicker – “I might have to root for Alabama on Monday.”
(She was kidding. I think.)
While I’ll never think twice about cheering whole-heartedly for Notre Dame, I can’t pretend that it’s ever easy to cheer against my former-favorite team, now relegated to second place in my heart. I still root for the Huskies when they play any other team.
A rematch of these two powerhouses would make in the championship final would make for a great game and great TV. But for the sake of Jacobsen family harmony, another match-up might be safer.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Thankful Tuesday! @_Breezy_Briii on signing day! This young star will be so fun to watch this year! #futureisBRIGHT🍀🌟 http://t.co/F4e90sd5gc 6 hours ago
- RT @FHS_Girls_Hoops: Great to see Fairmont alum Kathryn Westbeld, @K_Westbeld33 up at the Trent Arena yesterday! Best of luck to her and @n… 7 hours ago
- Just finished a great practice with the amazing Coach Izzo and @MSU_Basketball! So grateful for the opportunity! http://t.co/JMxTWEgeho 20 hours ago
- Sold out season tix for 6th straight year, now looking to sell out '14-15 single-game tix - on sale Thurs 8:30 am ET via @NDTIX #PACKEDhouse 1 day ago
- Thanks to Jeff Nix and Coach Stan Van Gundy for letting us watch the @DetroitPistons practice! Good luck this year🍀🏀 http://t.co/0vxNCF29wL 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Let's take a quick look at the blueangels aerial maneuver that caught Coach Brey's eye! instagram.com/p/ubBLTEwieD/ 2 hours ago
- Watching @NotreDame alum & former @NDmbb player Lcdr Hiltz (@jphiltz2) do work with the @BlueAngels in Pensacola. http://t.co/oFrcGlEIqU 3 hours ago
- Coach @NDMikeBrey met @NotreDame alum and former Irish hooper Lcdr. Hiltz (@jphiltz2) after his @BlueAngels flight. http://t.co/HgCqRrSZht 4 hours ago
- Coach @NDMikeBrey talking to @BlueAngels crew chief about being "inverted" - #IWasInverted http://t.co/EdO97gPxM8 5 hours ago
- RT @BlueAngels: Hey BA Fans! @NDMikeBrey is strapped in and in flight. How do you think he's doing? @NDmbb @NotreDame http://t.co/2HlybCs12L 5 hours ago
- M. Swimming. With Bonfires Comes Team Bonding
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Up Competition At Midwest Regionals
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Irish Have The Right Road Formula
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Squad Completes Upset Weekend To Claim USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Crown
- W. Soccer. Elizabeth Tucker from University of Notre Dame Named 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year