Nov 30, 2012, 12:38 AM EST
The defending national champions. The #1 recruiting class. The #8 team in the nation. The supposedly bigger, faster and stronger Kentucky Wildcats. All that might have meant something had this game been played in Rupp Arena.
But as Notre Dame has demonstrated time and time again during Mike Brey‘s tenure as head coach, few teams come to South Bend and leave with a victory.
With what seemed to be nearly half of the top-ranked Fighting Irish football team standing courtside, and the rowdy Leprechaun Legion in full force behind them, Notre Dame dominated Kentucky, 64-50 on a “blackout night” at Purcell Pavilion.
Led by Eric Atkins 16 points, Jack Cooley‘s sixth double-double of the season (13 points, 11 rebounds) and Cam Biedscheid‘s spark off the bench (10 points), the Irish held Kentucky to just 50 points, the Wildcats’ fewest in the John Calipari era.
Even with Kentucky’s size advantage, Notre Dame won the game on the glass, 33-27.
It was Notre Dame’s 41st win in its last 42 home games, and the Irish are now 106-7 in their past 113 contests at Purcell.
Pretty amazing stats for what’s always been considered a “football school.”
The Fighting Irish deserve all the recognition they’ve been receiving for their success on the gridiron this season. Football will always be the primary sport at Notre Dame, but nights like tonight are prime examples that this university has everything it needs to be a “basketball school” too – a passionate student section, a home court advantage, a great head coach, and of course, a pretty darn good team.
I’ve seen a lot of Notre Dame basketball games over the years, and I can confidently say tonight’s atmosphere may have only been matched by the upset of Syracuse in January. In fact, there were moments where I think it may have been louder than the game against the #1 Orange. From the Legion’s arrival more than an hour before the game to Manti Te’o‘s Cooley dunk celebration to Kapron Lewis-Moore‘s good-natured heckling of Calipari, none of the 9,149 in attendance will soon forget being there for Notre Dame’s win over the Wildcats.
It was a night of future NBA lottery picks versus a program built on experience, leadership and defense. Even with Kentucky’s wealth of talent and more than two dozen professional scouts on hand, Notre Dame not only outplayed its opponent, but looked like the better basketball team.
In one of the marquee nationally televised games of the young season, tonight was all about this school, this student body, and most of all, this team, proving once again that you should never count out the Fighting Irish.
After four games in nine days, Notre Dame (7-1) has an extended break before hosting Brown at Purcell next Saturday, Dec. 8 at 7:00 pm ET on ESPN3.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDsidMasters: .@jloyd32 nabs 3rd @accwbb Player of Week, @_Breezy_Briii earns 6th @accwbb Freshman of Week - it's a @ndwbb sweep: http:… 7 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: .@Tire_Rack #SAotW nom @NDwbb's @jloyd32: ave 26.7 pts, 6 rbds, 3.7 asts in the last 3 games ntrda.me/SAotW http… 9 hours ago
- RT @accwbb: . @ndwbb sweeps #ACCWBB weekly honors. theacc.co/WBBPOW012615 9 hours ago
- Looks like we swept this week's @accwbb honors! @jloyd32 was named Player of the Week and @_Breezy_Briii earned Freshman of the Week! #NDWBB 9 hours ago
- I voted for @NDwbb's @jloyd32 as the @Tire_Rack Student Athlete of the Week! und.com/saotw #LoydSAotW 9 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- DID YOU KNOW: Jerian Grant is ONLY player in NCAA (D1) averaging 16.0ppg, 6.0apg & 50% from the floor. (HT @ESPNCBB) http://t.co/Wfbejquh56 4 hours ago
- 19-2. 8th in the Nation. A great opportunity is in front of us. Let's do it #together. UPDATED National Rankings: http://t.co/suZNds6v72 5 hours ago
- Great videos from @WatchND after our 81-78 win over NCSU: INSIDE THE LOCKER ROOM: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/RtNW… HIGHLIGHTS: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/FqM3… 6 hours ago
- Congrats to Jerian on being named @theACC PLAYER OF THE WEEK for his play in helping us move to 19-2! #Together http://t.co/rACfJfdtUO 9 hours ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: LESSER PUBLICIZED @NDmbb NOTES: SINCE... ...going speed of sound w/@BlueAngels, Brey is 19-2 ...@Austin_Burgett drove… 12 hours ago
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Duo Sweeps ACC Player and Freshman of the Week Awards
- M. Lacrosse. Fighting Irish Freshman Class Ranked Second By Inside Lacrosse
- M. Basketball. No. 12 Notre Dame at NC State: Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. No. 8 Notre Dame Rallies Past NC State in Overtime, 81-78
- Fencing. Irish Return To Form At NYU Invitational