Nov 30, 2012, 12:38 AM EDT
The defending national champions. The #1 recruiting class. The #8 team in the nation. The supposedly bigger, faster and stronger Kentucky Wildcats. All that might have meant something had this game been played in Rupp Arena.
But as Notre Dame has demonstrated time and time again during Mike Brey‘s tenure as head coach, few teams come to South Bend and leave with a victory.
With what seemed to be nearly half of the top-ranked Fighting Irish football team standing courtside, and the rowdy Leprechaun Legion in full force behind them, Notre Dame dominated Kentucky, 64-50 on a “blackout night” at Purcell Pavilion.
Led by Eric Atkins 16 points, Jack Cooley‘s sixth double-double of the season (13 points, 11 rebounds) and Cam Biedscheid‘s spark off the bench (10 points), the Irish held Kentucky to just 50 points, the Wildcats’ fewest in the John Calipari era.
Even with Kentucky’s size advantage, Notre Dame won the game on the glass, 33-27.
It was Notre Dame’s 41st win in its last 42 home games, and the Irish are now 106-7 in their past 113 contests at Purcell.
Pretty amazing stats for what’s always been considered a “football school.”
The Fighting Irish deserve all the recognition they’ve been receiving for their success on the gridiron this season. Football will always be the primary sport at Notre Dame, but nights like tonight are prime examples that this university has everything it needs to be a “basketball school” too – a passionate student section, a home court advantage, a great head coach, and of course, a pretty darn good team.
I’ve seen a lot of Notre Dame basketball games over the years, and I can confidently say tonight’s atmosphere may have only been matched by the upset of Syracuse in January. In fact, there were moments where I think it may have been louder than the game against the #1 Orange. From the Legion’s arrival more than an hour before the game to Manti Te’o‘s Cooley dunk celebration to Kapron Lewis-Moore‘s good-natured heckling of Calipari, none of the 9,149 in attendance will soon forget being there for Notre Dame’s win over the Wildcats.
It was a night of future NBA lottery picks versus a program built on experience, leadership and defense. Even with Kentucky’s wealth of talent and more than two dozen professional scouts on hand, Notre Dame not only outplayed its opponent, but looked like the better basketball team.
In one of the marquee nationally televised games of the young season, tonight was all about this school, this student body, and most of all, this team, proving once again that you should never count out the Fighting Irish.
After four games in nine days, Notre Dame (7-1) has an extended break before hosting Brown at Purcell next Saturday, Dec. 8 at 7:00 pm ET on ESPN3.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:19 | May 2, 2013
- Challenge accepted by the team at @skydigg4's #GENYOUTH event! #wop vine.co/v/MnDmtB2AwJH 56 minutes ago
- Did you miss our #EOYBanquet2014 & the SR tribute video? See what @NDfidm pieced together to celebrate our #trio. watchnd.tv/#!/videos/t3bX… 2 hours ago
- Need a midafternoon laugh? Check out our #EOYBanquet2014 social media scrapbook and blooper reel now available at youtube.com/watch?v=-mY0MU… 4 hours ago
- #NDday launches April 27-28! Watch, Connect, Give & Vote at NotreDameDay.ND.edu! Most importantly- VOTE for NDWBB! @ProudtobeND 4 hours ago
- Excited to join @SkyDigg4 and @GENYOUthNow later today to empower kids to be active! #preparenow #fuelupplaylearn 5 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- "When it comes to battling the obesity epidemic, nutrition is the key" #TipOffForHeart @AHA_Michiana http://t.co/kl6TXiMLoR 32 minutes ago
- Strength guru Tony Rolinski revealing the right way to strength train to prevent injury #TipOffForHeart @AHA_Michiana http://t.co/OoBPdiMXi1 1 hour ago
- Local doctors revealing the importance of exercise & the correct CPR manuever w/help from @kenjeong #TipOffForHeart http://t.co/JN5EAdI0Xq 1 hour ago
- From player to coach, @EAtkins0 revealing the keys to the perfect jump shot #TipOffForHeart @AHA_Michiana http://t.co/3BuNBtWAgN 2 hours ago
- Coach Brey doing what he does best, coaching and teaching the fundamentals of the game #TipOffForHeart @AHA_Michiana http://t.co/M8cJoI3ubC 2 hours ago
- M. Tennis. Leaving It All On The Court
- Softball. Strikeout Cancer, A Cause Ingrained In The Tradition Of Notre Dame Softball
- W. Lacrosse. Battle-Tested Irish Ready For ACC Tournament
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate