Nov 30, 2012, 12:38 AM EDT
The defending national champions. The #1 recruiting class. The #8 team in the nation. The supposedly bigger, faster and stronger Kentucky Wildcats. All that might have meant something had this game been played in Rupp Arena.
But as Notre Dame has demonstrated time and time again during Mike Brey‘s tenure as head coach, few teams come to South Bend and leave with a victory.
With what seemed to be nearly half of the top-ranked Fighting Irish football team standing courtside, and the rowdy Leprechaun Legion in full force behind them, Notre Dame dominated Kentucky, 64-50 on a “blackout night” at Purcell Pavilion.
Led by Eric Atkins 16 points, Jack Cooley‘s sixth double-double of the season (13 points, 11 rebounds) and Cam Biedscheid‘s spark off the bench (10 points), the Irish held Kentucky to just 50 points, the Wildcats’ fewest in the John Calipari era.
Even with Kentucky’s size advantage, Notre Dame won the game on the glass, 33-27.
It was Notre Dame’s 41st win in its last 42 home games, and the Irish are now 106-7 in their past 113 contests at Purcell.
Pretty amazing stats for what’s always been considered a “football school.”
The Fighting Irish deserve all the recognition they’ve been receiving for their success on the gridiron this season. Football will always be the primary sport at Notre Dame, but nights like tonight are prime examples that this university has everything it needs to be a “basketball school” too – a passionate student section, a home court advantage, a great head coach, and of course, a pretty darn good team.
I’ve seen a lot of Notre Dame basketball games over the years, and I can confidently say tonight’s atmosphere may have only been matched by the upset of Syracuse in January. In fact, there were moments where I think it may have been louder than the game against the #1 Orange. From the Legion’s arrival more than an hour before the game to Manti Te’o‘s Cooley dunk celebration to Kapron Lewis-Moore‘s good-natured heckling of Calipari, none of the 9,149 in attendance will soon forget being there for Notre Dame’s win over the Wildcats.
It was a night of future NBA lottery picks versus a program built on experience, leadership and defense. Even with Kentucky’s wealth of talent and more than two dozen professional scouts on hand, Notre Dame not only outplayed its opponent, but looked like the better basketball team.
In one of the marquee nationally televised games of the young season, tonight was all about this school, this student body, and most of all, this team, proving once again that you should never count out the Fighting Irish.
After four games in nine days, Notre Dame (7-1) has an extended break before hosting Brown at Purcell next Saturday, Dec. 8 at 7:00 pm ET on ESPN3.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @ndwbbsid: .@ndwbb season ticket holders renewal notices in mail this week - Irish have had 95% renewals, max season tix purchases (~750… 19 hours ago
- RT @SJCHabitat: @ndwbb We are blessed to be affiliated with such #class ladies & staff! #GoIrish #Habitatbuildshousesandhope #WomenBuild 19 hours ago
- Looking forward to working on @SJCHabitat's Women Build this fall! Our team is very excited to help build a home close to The Dome! 🔨🏡🍀💚 20 hours ago
- Congrats to @SkyDigg4 becoming @TulsaShock new record holder for most points in the regular season! #PROready🙌🍀👏👏 http://t.co/nHlcADXGOD 20 hours ago
- RT @IrishCoachIvey: Im so GRATEFUL to work for @MuffetMcGraw and represent this AMAZING University! So proud to coach at my Alma Mater! Eve… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Getting some work in before we leave for Italy next week! #NDMBBItaly http://t.co/hl9KbB99Et 12 hours ago
- Did you miss @NDMikeBrey's 1st pitch at the @Silver_Hawks game last night? We have you covered! CLICK: youtu.be/J4akkGeyd5w 16 hours ago
- Now that we are with @UnderArmour, we have all new apparel! Have you seen our new practice uni's? #TeamUA http://t.co/pLw6bfOk0f 22 hours ago
- You knew @NDMikeBrey threw out the @Silver_Hawks 1st pitch, but did you know @GrantEl10 (Catcher) wore @googleglass? youtu.be/J4akkGeyd5w 1 day ago
- Coach takes some time to sign some autographs after throwing out the 1st pitch at the @Silver_Hawks game. #MB1stPitch http://t.co/I6HTtCHl17 1 day ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Anders Bjork Signs National Letter-Of-Intent To Play Hockey For The Irish
- Baseball. HitTrax Technology Takes Irish Into Next Level Of Player Evaluation
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowers Win Two Gold Medals At World Under 23 Championships
- Football. Irish Will Open Training Camp At Culver Academies