Nov 30, 2012, 12:38 AM EST
The defending national champions. The #1 recruiting class. The #8 team in the nation. The supposedly bigger, faster and stronger Kentucky Wildcats. All that might have meant something had this game been played in Rupp Arena.
But as Notre Dame has demonstrated time and time again during Mike Brey‘s tenure as head coach, few teams come to South Bend and leave with a victory.
With what seemed to be nearly half of the top-ranked Fighting Irish football team standing courtside, and the rowdy Leprechaun Legion in full force behind them, Notre Dame dominated Kentucky, 64-50 on a “blackout night” at Purcell Pavilion.
Led by Eric Atkins 16 points, Jack Cooley‘s sixth double-double of the season (13 points, 11 rebounds) and Cam Biedscheid‘s spark off the bench (10 points), the Irish held Kentucky to just 50 points, the Wildcats’ fewest in the John Calipari era.
Even with Kentucky’s size advantage, Notre Dame won the game on the glass, 33-27.
It was Notre Dame’s 41st win in its last 42 home games, and the Irish are now 106-7 in their past 113 contests at Purcell.
Pretty amazing stats for what’s always been considered a “football school.”
The Fighting Irish deserve all the recognition they’ve been receiving for their success on the gridiron this season. Football will always be the primary sport at Notre Dame, but nights like tonight are prime examples that this university has everything it needs to be a “basketball school” too – a passionate student section, a home court advantage, a great head coach, and of course, a pretty darn good team.
I’ve seen a lot of Notre Dame basketball games over the years, and I can confidently say tonight’s atmosphere may have only been matched by the upset of Syracuse in January. In fact, there were moments where I think it may have been louder than the game against the #1 Orange. From the Legion’s arrival more than an hour before the game to Manti Te’o‘s Cooley dunk celebration to Kapron Lewis-Moore‘s good-natured heckling of Calipari, none of the 9,149 in attendance will soon forget being there for Notre Dame’s win over the Wildcats.
It was a night of future NBA lottery picks versus a program built on experience, leadership and defense. Even with Kentucky’s wealth of talent and more than two dozen professional scouts on hand, Notre Dame not only outplayed its opponent, but looked like the better basketball team.
In one of the marquee nationally televised games of the young season, tonight was all about this school, this student body, and most of all, this team, proving once again that you should never count out the Fighting Irish.
After four games in nine days, Notre Dame (7-1) has an extended break before hosting Brown at Purcell next Saturday, Dec. 8 at 7:00 pm ET on ESPN3.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDsidMasters: .@ndwbb is back in friendly confines of Purcell Pavilion Friday at 5 pm (ET) to host Chattanooga live on @WatchND: http:/… 13 hours ago
- Spotlight game of the week! Call (574-631-7356) or visit @NDTIX for tickets to tomorrow's game! http://t.co/RSRcmcX7cJ 23 hours ago
- Busy day in the Joyce Center tomorrow! Make sure you come by the Purcell Pavilion to catch #ndwbb take on Chattanooga at 5pm! #PACKEDhouse 23 hours ago
- Less than 2 weeks until our ACC/Big Ten challenge game against Maryland (12/3/14 at @acwmc)! Get your tickets: ow.ly/ExIt8 1 day ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Recap, box, notes, photos and highlights from @ndwbb 71-63 win at #15/17 Michigan State Wednesday night now posted: http:… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- To be the best, you have to eat at the steakhouse of the best. Time to eat at Michael Jordan's Steakhouse. 🏀🍴🍀 http://t.co/AnP3tgBILW 13 hours ago
- We announced earlier we would play in the 2015 @OrlandoClassic - let's throw it back to 2010 when we took the title: http://t.co/tOfn8y4SWE 18 hours ago
- We're about to hit the road for the Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament - From the 574 to the 860. #MoheganSunBound http://t.co/oBYl5IzL0U 19 hours ago
- Looks like we are headed to the Sunshine State in 2015! @OrlandoClassic here we come! http://t.co/YFuAMRDdVb 1 day ago
- Help choose our Coppin State player of the game: RETWEET: Z.A. (@ZachEliAuguste) FAVORITE: V.J. (@VB3ND) http://t.co/9mtZYdEIfw 1 day ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Drop 3-1 Decision To UMass Lowell In Hockey East Action
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Return Home Friday To Face Chattanooga
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Welcomes No. 7 UNC And NC State To Purcell This Weekend
- Football. The (Football) Band of the Fighting Irish
- Football. Mike Denbrock and the Irish Offensive Coaching Staff: A Day in the Life