Nov 28, 2012, 10:19 PM EDT
With students and fans constantly buzzing over the incredible season put together by the Irish football team, excitement seems to be in abundance around campus lately. As fans begin to turn to the hardwood, it is safe to say that they have plenty of reasons to keep that excitement at the same high level. To say that the upcoming seven days will be an exciting time for Notre Dame basketball fans would be an understatement.
Both the Irish men’s and women’s basketball teams will play host to defending national champions in a span of only seven days. First, the Irish men will welcome the Kentucky Wildcats to Purcell Pavilion on Thursday, and then next Wednesday the Irish women will host Baylor in a rematch of the 2012 championship game.
As the Irish men prepare to take on the Wildcats before a Purcell Pavilion crowd donning their “blackout” attire, it appears to be a fitting time to take a look back at the team’s history against reigning championship teams. The Irish hold an all-time record of 11 wins against 26 losses against defending champions. The first time the Irish took on a defending champion was all the way back in 1941, when they lost a low scoring affair to Wisconsin, 43-35. The most recent encounter they have had with a defending champion was a 50-48 victory over Connecticut, just last January.
Notre Dame has played Kentucky on five separate occasions when the Wildcats were coming off of championship seasons and has only come away with a win in one of those games–a 64-51 victory at home in 1950. However, things may be looking up heading into Thursday night’s showdown. The Irish have found some recent success against teams defending their title, with a record of 6-4 in their past ten tries. Notre Dame, which has certainly been recognized for its hard to match home success in recent years, also sports an all-time record of 7-7 when these contests have been played in South Bend.
Playing a team coming off a NCAA tournament victory will always serve as a unique challenge, and Kentucky will be no exception to that. One thing is for certain though, Irish fans should relish the opportunity to dress themselves in black and come out to support their team against such a storied foe. And after the Wildcats have headed back to Lexington, the excitement will continue as two basketball powerhouses collide when Baylor comes into town to challenge the Fighting Irish women’s basketball team on Dec. 5.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:20 | May 2, 2013
Kaila Turner Senior Speech - Notre Dame Women' Basketball
Length: 7:45 | April 24, 2013
Skylar Diggins Senior Speech - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 10:55 | April 24, 2013
Naismith Coach Of The Year - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 2:08 | April 24, 2013
- RT @SkyDigg4: ND Alumni Club of Tulsa event! 10 hours ago
- RT @ndwbbsid: A final congrats to @ndwbb seniors @SkyDigg4 and @KTurner_15 for four great years … video from Sunday's Commencement: http://… 15 hours ago
- Good luck @MsPeters14 today at 1pm eastern! Minnesota Lynx vs Conn Sun! 17 hours ago
- Prayers for the people in Oklahoma affected by the tornados! 🙏 1 day ago
- "Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it!" Lou Holtz🍀 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Men's Basketball 2012-13 Team Awardwinners
Length: 10:12 | April 18, 2013
Jack Nolan Surprised With Notre Dame Honorary Monogram
Length: 5:56 | April 18, 2013
Jack Cooley Gets Engaged At Evening With Notre Dame Basketball
Length: 1:38 | April 18, 2013
Reinvention - Notre Dame Men's Basketball Blueprint for Success
Length: 22:38 | April 11, 2013
- First session of camp begins June 16th. Register here- bit.ly/ZARIfH #SeeYouThere 14 hours ago
- RT @knighttime25: Well Notre Dame it was a great 4 years and thanks for the diploma...so let's do 1 more 2 days ago
- RT @JackCooligan45: I have accomplished many things in my life, but I can say without a doubt, that graduating from Notre Dame is the thing… 2 days ago
- RT @NotreDame: "Take what you have learned here, leave Notre Dame and let it enable you to go do good in the world." Father Jenkins #ND2013 2 days ago
- RT @JBrooksLovesU: Kinda just hit me that this is graduation lol #ImSmartNow http://t.co/NH4C07xyEm 2 days ago
- Baseball. Eric Jagielo Takes Home BIG EAST Player Of The Year Award As Irish Total Five All-BIG EAST Honorees
- W. Rowing. Irish Selected To NCAA Championship For Second Straight Season
- M. Swimming. Tallman Named CollegeSwimming.Com Assistant Coach Of The Year
- Track. Irish Set For 2013 NCAA East Regional
- W. Soccer. Notre Dame Announces 2013 Women's Soccer Schedule