Nov 20, 2012, 12:32 PM EST
Kayla McBride is a junior guard from Erie, Pennsylvania who lives in Ryan Hall at Notre Dame. She has played on the team two years and is off to a great start in her third. I recently caught up with her for a Q&A.
Q: When did you start playing?
When I was five, in the YMCA league.
Q: Is there any story behind your number (21)?
Yeah, Charlie [Ward] wore it. He played for the New York Knicks. He always ran a camp back in my hometown, and that’s where I first started playing basketball with all the boys, so ever since then I’ve worn it. Natalie Novosel wore it when I got here, but after she left last year, I decided to switch it up.
Q: Do you have a favorite professional player?
Michael Jordan. But if you’re talking about now, I definitely like Dwyane Wade’s game–I think he’s probably my favorite.
Q: Do you have a favorite player in college basketball to match up against?
Playing against Maya Moore was pretty cool, but I also just love playing with Sky [Diggins], she’s very competitive, and she’s really easy to play with. She has a really high basketball IQ.
Q: Why did you pick Notre Dame?
I came here when I was sixteen, a junior in high school, and I was just so wowed by everything. It’s a perfect combination of athletics and academics, and I knew I could succeed outside of basketball here.
Q: Apart from the basketball team, what’s your favorite part about Notre Dame?
The camaraderie, I would say. Everyone’s so close, and even after you leave, there’s so much opportunity to remain close.
Q: What’s your major?
I’m a marketing major. Mendoza all the way.
Q: Do you have a favorite class?
Yeah my favorite class is definitely Consumer Behavior with Professor Bradford.
Q: Do you have a pregame ritual?
No, I did in high school, but once I got to college, everything is already so planned out for you, I just got caught up in that. It’s kind of hard to have one.
Q: What was your high school basketball career like?
I played four years on varsity–we won states my junior and senior years, and we were runner-up my freshman year.
Q: Do you have a favorite shot to use in HORSE?
Between the legs reverse…lay-up. Actually it’s behind the back too. Behind the back, between the legs, reverse lay-up.
Q: And you’ve made that before?
Q: Are you ever going to use it in a game?
Not in a game, I think Coach might take me out.
Q: If Manti Te’o played Skylar Diggins 1v1, who would win and what would the score be?
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- We have reached the final media timeout of the half, Irish up 48-20. 3:37 left in the first half 28 minutes ago
- 36-13 Irish lead with 7:22 left in the first half 🍀 36 minutes ago
- At the second media timeout of the first half, the Irish are up 29-10 43 minutes ago
- At the first media timeout, Irish lead 15-3 over Quinnipiac 54 minutes ago
- And we are underway here in Purcell Pavilion! Irish win the tip and Taya hits a jumper to start things off🍀 1 hour ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Our game vs Chicago State this Saturday has been moved to 1pm (ESPN3). Head over to UND.com/BuyTickets to purchase tickets. #Together 2 hours ago
- Haven't made it to Purcell this year to catch a game? Check out our intro video: youtu.be/zXNaKn23RkY Get Tix: UND.com/BuyTickets 3 hours ago
- Vote Jerian Grant (@ThatGrant22) for the @FightingIrish Student-Athlete of the week-> und.com/ot/socialpoll-… http://t.co/Xd0euQ4Aas 7 hours ago
- Take a look at our @Hoophall Tournament & weekend trip to Connecticut with locker room footage included. #Together watchnd.tv/#!/videos/R4Y2… 9 hours ago
- RT @D_Jay24: Love my team 🍀 #GoIrish 1 day ago
- M. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: Notre Dame Advances In The Rain
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Cap Off Busy Seven-Day Stretch Against Quinnipiac
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Huffman Finding Her Role
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2 Notre Dame 97, Harvard 43
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes