Nov 20, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
Kayla McBride is a junior guard from Erie, Pennsylvania who lives in Ryan Hall at Notre Dame. She has played on the team two years and is off to a great start in her third. I recently caught up with her for a Q&A.
Q: When did you start playing?
When I was five, in the YMCA league.
Q: Is there any story behind your number (21)?
Yeah, Charlie [Ward] wore it. He played for the New York Knicks. He always ran a camp back in my hometown, and that’s where I first started playing basketball with all the boys, so ever since then I’ve worn it. Natalie Novosel wore it when I got here, but after she left last year, I decided to switch it up.
Q: Do you have a favorite professional player?
Michael Jordan. But if you’re talking about now, I definitely like Dwyane Wade’s game–I think he’s probably my favorite.
Q: Do you have a favorite player in college basketball to match up against?
Playing against Maya Moore was pretty cool, but I also just love playing with Sky [Diggins], she’s very competitive, and she’s really easy to play with. She has a really high basketball IQ.
Q: Why did you pick Notre Dame?
I came here when I was sixteen, a junior in high school, and I was just so wowed by everything. It’s a perfect combination of athletics and academics, and I knew I could succeed outside of basketball here.
Q: Apart from the basketball team, what’s your favorite part about Notre Dame?
The camaraderie, I would say. Everyone’s so close, and even after you leave, there’s so much opportunity to remain close.
Q: What’s your major?
I’m a marketing major. Mendoza all the way.
Q: Do you have a favorite class?
Yeah my favorite class is definitely Consumer Behavior with Professor Bradford.
Q: Do you have a pregame ritual?
No, I did in high school, but once I got to college, everything is already so planned out for you, I just got caught up in that. It’s kind of hard to have one.
Q: What was your high school basketball career like?
I played four years on varsity–we won states my junior and senior years, and we were runner-up my freshman year.
Q: Do you have a favorite shot to use in HORSE?
Between the legs reverse…lay-up. Actually it’s behind the back too. Behind the back, between the legs, reverse lay-up.
Q: And you’ve made that before?
Q: Are you ever going to use it in a game?
Not in a game, I think Coach might take me out.
Q: If Manti Te’o played Skylar Diggins 1v1, who would win and what would the score be?
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Madrid
Length: 1:54 | August 12, 2013
Kayla McBride Talks About The 75-57 Win - Women's Basketball
Length: 1:14 | August 12, 2013
Notre Dame Women's Basketball Defeat French All-Stars in Barcelona
Length: 1:28 | August 12, 2013
Skylar Diggins Look Back - Notre Dame Women's Basketball
Length: 4:19 | May 2, 2013
- Wishing @NDWomensLax and @NDWomensTennis best of luck in their games @theACC Tournament today! #IrishintheACC 42 minutes ago
- "What you do today can improve all of your tomorrows." - Ralph Marston 3 hours ago
- Notre Dame Day is in 4 days! Watch it all at NotreDameDay.ND.edu. Be sure to vote for us! Votes=funds! #ndday #ProudToBeND 17 hours ago
- Challenge accepted by the team at @skydigg4's #GENYOUTH event! #wop vine.co/v/MnDmtB2AwJH 18 hours ago
- Did you miss our #EOYBanquet2014 & the SR tribute video? See what @NDfidm pieced together to celebrate our #trio. watchnd.tv/#!/videos/t3bX… 20 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, V.J. Beachem - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 30, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Steve Vasturia - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:06 | July 25, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Austin Torres - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:13 | July 23, 2013
- One of the truly cool events at Notre Dame is Notre Dame Day ... What is #NDday you ask? sot.ag/2Df5S/ 1 hour ago
- "When it comes to battling the obesity epidemic, nutrition is the key" #TipOffForHeart @AHA_Michiana http://t.co/kl6TXiMLoR 18 hours ago
- Strength guru Tony Rolinski revealing the right way to strength train to prevent injury #TipOffForHeart @AHA_Michiana http://t.co/OoBPdiMXi1 19 hours ago
- Local doctors revealing the importance of exercise & the correct CPR manuever w/help from @kenjeong #TipOffForHeart http://t.co/JN5EAdI0Xq 19 hours ago
- From player to coach, @EAtkins0 revealing the keys to the perfect jump shot #TipOffForHeart @AHA_Michiana http://t.co/3BuNBtWAgN 20 hours ago